Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I used to work with Stan and we spoke about the Ulrika incident. What he did was wrong and he knows it was.

He's still haunted by the shame of it. He gets reminded of it every single day.

He said standing in front of his mum and having to tell her was the worst, most crushing, embarrassing thing in his life, especially as she'd suffered domestic violence.

As for the "he hits women" narrative, it's worth a slither of context.

He slapped (not punched) Ulrika once after she relentlessly goaded him and it was during one of the darkest spells of his early mental health issues.

I AM NOT DEFENDING AT ALL WHAT STAN DID AS HE WAS WRONG TO DO SO.

Stan gets some really vile abuse over that one incident. However, Gazza regularly smashed the living crap out of his wife yet is often lauded as some hero.

What Stan and Gazza did was wrong but they are very different situations.

Stan's always been good to me - supportive and kind when certain stuff happened - even though we disagree on a number of topics.

Nobody is defending any form of domestic abuse (and Stan wouldn't ask me to ever defend him or his actions) but I felt it was worth adding some detail to the story.

I like this comment and understand it nore suffering from depression myself.

I repeat, not condoning donestic violence at all, but pleased with the way he turned his life around.

Anyway, whaddaya know about the trevir benjamin incident and how taylor drove him out?

Please ask him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danizen said:

I love how they've dressed it up as they 'went down fighting'. Most of the bookings happened in the last 15 minutes. They were being somewhat professional until the equaliser...then ALL the toys came out of the pram.

They had already lost their composure the week before against West Brom at home. Couldn't handle Pulis-ball. That's when I finally knew we'd won the title. 

57 minutes ago, Line-X said:

They had already lost their composure the week before against West Brom at home. Couldn't handle Pulis-ball. That's when I finally knew we'd won the title. 

Remember it well. Pacing around the kitchen listening to 5-Live, turning it off due to the tension and deciding to ignore it until it was over, then turning it back on 2 minutes later. Massive Pulis and WBA fan that night. Don't think I slept for the next week or probably the month before. 

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Remember it well. Pacing around the kitchen listening to 5-Live, turning it off due to the tension and deciding to ignore it until it was over, then turning it back on 2 minutes later. Massive Pulis and WBA fan that night. Don't think I slept for the next week or probably the month before. 

It was a done deal from that point on. The 30 hours from the Swansea game to the Monday night game all but secured it.

Still remember the excitement that followed for the next week. You knew we had it.

13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Well he consistently made no secret of the fact that he wanted Leicester to win the title - and, to his credit, in spite of his detractors, he came to play football and gave us a game at the King Power, which wasn't an easy thing to do. Two great goals, one from Rondon, who dismissed the challenge of Huth like swatting away a house fly (again, not easy to do), and the second, a glorious set piece from Craig Gardner. 2-2. We were, saying that, without Kante. 

The night of the Spurs game at the Lane, Claudio Yacob was given a job to do on Ali - and it worked a treat. 

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I used to work with Stan and we spoke about the Ulrika incident. What he did was wrong and he knows it was.

He's still haunted by the shame of it. He gets reminded of it every single day.

He said standing in front of his mum and having to tell her was the worst, most crushing, embarrassing thing in his life, especially as she'd suffered domestic violence.

As for the "he hits women" narrative, it's worth a slither of context.

He slapped (not punched) Ulrika once after she relentlessly goaded him and it was during one of the darkest spells of his early mental health issues.

I AM NOT DEFENDING AT ALL WHAT STAN DID AS HE WAS WRONG TO DO SO.

Stan gets some really vile abuse over that one incident. However, Gazza regularly smashed the living crap out of his wife yet is often lauded as some hero.

What Stan and Gazza did was wrong but they are very different situations.

Stan's always been good to me - supportive and kind when certain stuff happened - even though we disagree on a number of topics.

Nobody is defending any form of domestic abuse (and Stan wouldn't ask me to ever defend him or his actions) but I felt it was worth adding some detail to the story.

Fair play Geoff. 

26 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Well he consistently made no secret of the fact that he wanted Leicester to win the title - and, to his credit, in spite of his detractors, he came to play football and gave us a game at the King Power, which wasn't an easy thing to do. Two great goals, one from Rondon, who dismissed the challenge of Huth like swatting away a house fly (again, not easy to do), and the second, a glorious set piece from Craig Gardner. 2-2. We were, saying that, without Kante. 

The night of the Spurs game at the Lane, Claudio Yacob was given a job to do on Ali - and it worked a treat. 

Recall walking out of the ground after the WBA home match thinking we had blown it. Then it started raining. Long walk back to the car and even longer 145 mile drive home. 

The media writing us off as surely Tottnum and Arsenal would win their mid-week fixtures. Turned out to be a very valuable point. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Babylon said:

Nope, Harry first first choice. He agreed to join us but changed his mind on the drive home as it was so far away. We then got Taylor, we've been linked to Harry several times but the time is was basically all sealed was just before Taylor. 

I think you’re getting mixed up mate, when Taylor was appointed, Redknapp was still at West Ham. He would never have left them for us, they were producing the best prospects in the country at that point.

When Taylor was sacked he was in a DOF role at Pompey and that is when he was expected to sign for us.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Recall walking out of the ground after the WBA home match thinking we had blown it. Then it started raining. Long walk back to the car and even longer 145 mile drive home. 

The media writing us off as surely Tottnum and Arsenal would win their mid-week fixtures. Turned out to be a very valuable point. 

Was a horrendously stressful year but looking back not sure why I was so worried. Fairly comfortable in the end. What a team

7 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Was a horrendously stressful year but looking back not sure why I was so worried. Fairly comfortable in the end. What a team

I think the worry for most was that we'd never won it before and would probably never be in that position again in our lifetimes. Sky playing over and over the 'we're coming for you' jingle and I was seeing the media headlines.... Leicester City f... 

We'll enjoy it much more next time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I think the worry for most was that we'd never won it before and would probably never be in that position again in our lifetimes. Sky playing over and over the 'we're coming for you' jingle and I was seeing the media headlines.... Leicester City f... 

It does feel that 0 titles to 1 is a much bigger leap than 1 to 2, I don't think we'll win another title but it feels ridiculous to rule it out now.

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Exactly this for me.

On 20/04/2020 at 10:57, Footballwipe said:

I feel like you could write a book on the 2000-2002 period of Leicester City.

When you look back now it seems that the club were determined to keep with this strategy of "bright young manager" which had worked with Little, McGhee and O'Neill, and yet they picked completely the wrong person for the task in someone who was an entirely different character.

He bombed out Cottee & Walsh, kicked Collymore to the kerb as soon as possible and inadequately replaced them at every opportunity which seems to suggest he didn't want any big characters. The established stars were stuffed with massive contracts (weren't Elliott and Izzet on £30k a week?) which ensured they'd be toeing the line.

Look at his 00/01 list of signings, only two Premiership players in there, and that was bloody Matt Jones and Dean Sturridge. Think of the strikers who moved that summer, who (in my fantasy world) could've been potential marquee replacements for Heskey... Hartson, Gudjohnson, Bellamy, Wanchope, Weah/Suker (imagine one of them joining for a year!), Viduka, Sutton. All of those moved for fees in and around the £5-6m mark.

Then there's the astonishing erosion of away form from November of that season after the incredible start, the bringing in of Mancini for no reason, the outrageous decision to award a new contract to a man who had lost nine games in a row just months previous.

It's genuinely a fascinating period of our history, despite it being a depressing one. How could we get it so wrong? I have all the back issues of The Fox fanzine from that period, I might do a bit of light reading this evening and see what people made of it all.

Jesus, lost every game onwards from late November away from home lol if I'm ever cynical then blame me as I was brought up on this. This was some of my earliest football upbringing lol 

On 27/04/2020 at 11:26, Footballwipe said:

So I ended up doing the BIB this weekend. I never realised how engrossing it is to look back through this medium. Few musings:

• There seemed to be a lot of giving PT the benefit of the doubt, and I get the impression this was to do with MON & Sheff Utd in 1996, and the subsequent turnaround there
  • Worries about our play and Akinbiyi's form were as early on as October
  • Our squad really was threadbare. We lost so many key players for various reasons, and, lordy, we replaced them with guff. Every signing seemed to be "one for the future" when all the players leaving were important first teamers
  • Did we really spend £7m on Akinbiyi, Benjamin and Cresswell???
  • His work with England really was a source of pride originally, but fast became a source of angst when it went downhill (understandably)
  • We (as fans) seemd to want Jody Morris when Lennon went (I didn't realise the Lennon situation was so protracted). We also wanted Seth Johnson to replace Lennon and I saw persistent mentions of Roy Carroll in there, too!
  • PT really wasn't a fan of Steve Guppy, was he?
  • Cork City fans invading the forum unhappy at our "link up" with their team to basically steal their good players
  • Y'all were really excited at the prospect of Dennis Wise playing for us
  • The sheer change in tone to despair from February-May's editions is quite sad to see. The sudden realisation that it was all going wrong, that the early season form and the home wins keeping us in the top four wee cheap plasters papering over the cracks
  • Collymore was done as soon as he kicked off at not getting a new contract before the new season, it seems, nevermind the Benjamin bust up
  • Baby Squad went to work on the Red Star fans in a Vienna train station

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.I still buy the good old Fox whenever i can.Ive got quite a few old copies and it is fascinating reading back.Nearly as cringe worthy as the beginning of the Taylor era is reading through Craig  Levein’s early days.A man of supreme intelligence apparently.Didn’t age well did it.

The Fox was actually one of the only places you could get little snippets of itk information.I used to look forward to seeing how big they estimated our away contingent to be.In particular the likes of Plymouth away on a Tuesday night in February.

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Funny for a minute ... then a bit sad ... then forgettable.

DLuizCry.JPG.b160272fcb35190e7977c26394debd5b.JPG

Uplifting to people all over the world.  Never to be forgotten.

trophy.JPG.5d828a8723ba828ec2b26e850d8444e3.JPG

Next!

The other week somebody posted about watching some documentary series and this episode had a central american cartel member wearing a shirt of ours. This is the stuff that is absurd to me, being successful on the pitch is tangible; you can see it and feel it. Matthew McConaughey's son cutting about in our keeper kit is just too much for my brain to handle because I was conditioned by the early Mandaric years lol 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Big Six is such a myth. These six teams finishing as the top six has happened three times in the Premier League era. Newcastle and Blackburn have finished in the top two more often than Tottenham.

David Batty has won the league with two different clubs, finished second twice with Newcastle, finished regularly in the top six with Leeds in his second spell yet he's never played for a "Big Six" club, apparently.

There are three title winners (two before Premier League with Leeds) in this list. Players like Le Tissier and Juninho I can understand, top players at less fashionable and successful clubs, but others have played for Leeds, Blackburn, Newcastle and Leicester who've either won the league or finished in the top three more than once.

If we're going on this criteria, surely Alan Shearer should put himself on the list? He's the best comfortably with his record.

• Like 2