Jump to content
Cardiff_Fox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Recommended Posts

One of the best football days I can remember. No way was that a foul, followed straight away with cries of penalty. De lait skinning mata, Cambiaso goal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

One of the best football days I can remember. No way was that a foul, followed straight away with cries of penalty. De lait skinning mata, Cambiaso goal.

Still don’t think I’ve seen better limbs at the king power since then. What a day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goody2028 said:

Still don’t think I’ve seen better limbs at the king power since then. What a day! 

Sevilla home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Yeah cracking point actually 😅

We won it 2-0 and got 3 points. 

 

:ph34r:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6584478-leicester-5-3-manchester-united-remembering-the-day-jamie-vardy-became-a-superstar?utm_source=RSS

Leicester 5-3 Manchester United: Remembering the Day Jamie Vardy Became a Superstar

Jamie Vardy

21 September, 2014. 

 

Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United. 

 

This was not supposed to happen. 

 

Long before great escapes, Premier League titles and Champions League campaigns had been toasted at the King Power Stadium, Leicester were simply trying to tread water in their first season back in the top flight for a decade. 

 

And this was Manchester United. Admittedly it was a post-Sir Alex Ferguson Manchester United but still... it was MANCHESTER UNITED.

FBL-ENG-PR-LEICESTER-MAN UTD

 

One of the most dramatic upsets in Premier League history seemed unfathomable when a sublime Angel Di Maria chip made it 2-0 to the visitors in the 16th minute. 

 

Even if Leonardo Ulloa's header seconds later had given the Foxes a spark of hope, Ander Herrera's fortunate finish extinguish it just before the hour mark. And then... Jamie Vardy happened. 

 

It all started - as it so often does - with Vardy chasing down a lost cause. Hunting Rafael all the way down to his own byline the future record breaker shrugged off the defender before being brought down to win Leicester a penalty - which David Nugent leathered home. 

 

Two minutes later, the hosts had their equaliser. 

David Nugent,David Moore,Esteban Cambiasso

As if by divine intervention the ball sat up kindly for Esteban Cambiasso to swing a left boot at it hopefully. Cambiasso rumoured arrival in the summer had been dismissed on Leicester message boards as an elaborate joke too farcical and brilliant to actually be true. 

 

Fans could scarcely believe their eyes once again as the Argentine's effort squeezed past David de Gea in the United goal to make it 3-3. 

 

The goal was greeted by a sonic eruption around King Power Stadium but that was nothing compared to the noise when Vardy grabbed a goal of his own ten minutes from time. 

 

With Juan Mata caught in possession by Ritchie de Laet, the former United youth player exploded down the right flank before sliding it to Leicester's number nine, who had peeled off his marker expertly. 

FBL-ENG-PR-LEICESTER-MAN UTD

With only De Gea to beat, Vardy could have been forgiven for feeling a little nervous - what with this being his chance for a first ever Premier League goal. If he was, he didn't show it - slotting it past the best goalkeeper in the world with the same confidence he had exhibited when dominating the Northern League with Stocksbridge Park Steels several years earlier. 

 

4-3 would have been more than enough to send the Filbert Way faithful home to enjoy one of the most euphoric Sunday roasts of their lives, but Vardy was not content and made his fans' potatoes taste even sweeter by creating a fifth goal.

 

After shrugging off the lumbering Tyler Blackett, he raced into the box before Blackett hacked him to the ground - earning himself a red card and gifting Leicester another penalty. With Nugent sat on the bench, Ulloa rose to the task and belted home from 12-yards to put the gloss on one of the best days in Leicester's recent history.


Things That Aged Worst 

Angel di Maria,Kasper Schmeichel

It's a travesty that in the midst of all the other madness that transpired at King Power Stadium that autumn day, the true beauty of Angel Di Maria's goal has been overlooked.

 

Charging past a string of players and into the Leicester half, the Argentine played a quick one-two with Wayne Rooney before finishing in the most audacious way possible. 

 

With Kasper Schmeichel a yard or so off his line, Di Maria managed to scoop the ball over the Dane while still on the move. The undoubted highlight of his largely underwhelming United career.


Things That Aged Best

Jamie Vardy,Leonardo Ulloa

His incredible performance - one goal and four assists - against United gave a brief glimpse into the heights that Jamie Vardy's career would reach. 

 

The Englishman's inaugural Premier League strike has been replicated countless times in subsequent seasons, and he now stands just one goal shy of entering the illustrious top flight hundred club. 

 

Thank god he got rid of that bloody mohawk though. 


Players You Completely Forgot Existed

Tyler Blackett

United centre-back Tyler Blackett did not cover himself in glory against Leicester and it will come as no surprise that he dropped down to the Championship with Reading in 2016 - where he continues to frighten fans with some questionable decision making. 

 

Dean Hammond - who was part of Leicester's midfield three - currently turns out for Worthing in the Isthmian League. Well, he did until recently for obvious reasons. 

 

Ritchie de Laet who assisted Leicester's fourth goal in currently back in his native Belgium, while Paul Konchesky has now retired - enjoying a final pay day at Billericay Town a few years ago.

 

An unused substitute for the Foxes that day was Riyad Mahrez. Wonder whatever happened to him?


What Happened Next? 

Claudio Ranieri,Wes Morgan

After this victory, Leicester's season went into a tailspin as they failed to win any of their subsequent 13 games. 

 

Similar patchy form haunted them for the rest of the season - until seven wins out of their last nine secured a scarcely believable great escape. They didn't do half bad the following season either... 

 

United, on the other hand, recorded a fairly comfortable fourth placed finish - a marked improvement on their disastrous 2013/2014 campaign when they came seventh. 


This is still and I imagine, always will be my Favourite Leicester game. At 2 nil I was hoping to keep it respectable. Then what happened happened, I couldn't talk for about 3 days after due to the amount of shouting and cheering. I'm usually fine after a day. 

Every CL game will always be special but for unexpected joy and emotions, this game is amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Horrible fan base. 

 

They make some noise but that's usually because it's full of locals who have their moment to shine being a 'proper fan' before they return to their armchair. 

 

I've always said that, despite the world class players and management over the years, you can't have a football conversation with a united fan. They don't know anything at all about the game. 

That's unfair. I've had many a decent conversation with Man United fans, especially as a visiting fan in Manchester. Just because they have a lot of armchair fans doesn't mean they don't have genuine Manchester born fans who follow them everywhere.

 

Manchester City are much worse for me. Right arrogant lot who carry this "everybody hates us" thing. Also note the whole "Man City fans actually come from Manchester" thing yet this season when I was on the train back from Manchester after our defeat at the Etihad there were more of their fans going "home" than our fans.

 

Agree with Ted about the flag though. Same as when we drew 2-2 with them a few years later. It's down quick as soon as we score.

Edited by Fox92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Horrible fan base. 

 

They make some noise but that's usually because it's full of locals who have their moment to shine being a 'proper fan' before they return to their armchair. 

 

I've always said that, despite the world class players and management over the years, you can't have a football conversation with a united fan. They don't know anything at all about the game. 

I was in the away end for the 5-3. All I can add is that everyone within 10 metres was a Manc, or had managed to pull off the accent while being stupidly drunk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

That's unfair. I've had many a decent conversation with Man United fans, especially as a visiting fan in Manchester. Just because they have a lot of armchair fans doesn't mean they don't have genuine Manchester born fans who follow them everywhere.

 

Manchester City are much worse for me. Right arrogant lot who carry this "everybody hates us" thing. Also note the whole "Man City fans actually come from Manchester" thing yet this season when I was on the train back from Manchester after our defeat at the Etihad there were more of their fans going "home" than our fans.

 

Agree with Ted about the flag though. Same as when we drew 2-2 with them a few years later. It's down quick as soon as we score.


I’ve met a fair few Man Utd fans who know their stuff. However, you still can’t have a conversation about football with them because for them, football doesn’t exist outside Manchester. It can be quite painful how a football chat becomes a Manchester United chat. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:


I’ve met a fair few Man Utd fans who know their stuff. However, you still can’t have a conversation about football with them because for them, football doesn’t exist outside Manchester. It can be quite painful how a football chat becomes a Manchester United chat. 

Couldnt agree more, particularly hit the  nail on the head with your last sentence.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:


I’ve met a fair few Man Utd fans who know their stuff. However, you still can’t have a conversation about football with them because for them, football doesn’t exist outside Manchester. It can be quite painful how a football chat becomes a Manchester United chat. 

 

They do have some knowledgeable fans. 

 

Talking to Arsenal and Man United fan I know the arrogance from them was outstanding. Seriously they think we were/still are a kick it long team. 

 

Not a ****ing chance. Even our title winning Season we played some brilliant stuff. 

 

They said they wouldnt even have Vardy in their side lol lol lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Couldnt agree more, particularly hit the  nail on the head with your last sentence.


To be fair, the same goes for Liverpool fans. The scousers seem spot on it’s the ones who aren’t from Liverpool who seem to have no idea about football outside of LFC (or even inside it in plenty of cases). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:


To be fair, the same goes for Liverpool fans. The scousers seem spot on it’s the ones who aren’t from Liverpool who seem to have no idea about football outside of LFC (or even inside it in plenty of cases). 

Liverpool scousers are sound IMO. Everton fans are proper bitter bastards. Liverpool’s fan base is ruined by the millions that couldn’t even point to where liverpool is on a map and the scousers know that as well I think when you speak to them. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2020 at 22:01, browniefox said:

This is still and I imagine, always will be my Favourite Leicester game. At 2 nil I was hoping to keep it respectable. Then what happened happened, I couldn't talk for about 3 days after due to the amount of shouting and cheering. I'm usually fine after a day. 

Every CL game will always be special but for unexpected joy and emotions, this game is amazing.

This one definitely sticks in the memory. It felt like the start of something - and even though we spent most of that season thinking we were going down, it really was a statement of intent.

On 29/03/2020 at 11:02, Ted Maul said:

After everything that's happened since, that game is still my favourite since we got promoted. Scenes on toast.

 

That noncey 'Leicester Reds' flag in the away end disappeared pretty quickly.

I can't get to games most of the time and for this match I was so ****ing happy to have watched it in the pub instead. A Leicestershire pub, full of Leicester fans, but with one Man Utd fan: a mate of mine whose face after we equalised I will never, ever forget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I’m missing something and perhaps I’ve bitten but those two sides are from two different centuries, so I’m proper confused as to what the debate is😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Staffs Fox said:

Maybe I’m missing something and perhaps I’ve bitten but those two sides are from two different centuries, so I’m proper confused as to what the debate is😂

It appears to be - who do you support?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

It appears to be - who do you support?

:wes:

The headline reads who’s the greatest side of the last century. The Barca team are from 1991 which is the 20th century and obviously the Leicester team is from the 21st century so I’m just confused as to what the debate actually  is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

:wes:

The headline reads who’s the greatest side of the last century. The Barca team are from 1991 which is the 20th century and obviously the Leicester team is from the 21st century so I’m just confused as to what the debate actually  is

The last century. 1920 to 2020. 

 

If the best team from the last hundred years didn't contain Jeff Schlupp then I just don't understand football. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...