Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

On 06/01/2021 at 16:26, Spudulike said:

Surely a selling club is one that has to sell to survive. I don't think LCFC are in that category. 

Players will always be tempted to move for improved contracts (not necessarily for football reasons) especially with agents in their ear 'ols. Even the most financially secure clubs have this issue but it doesn't make them a selling club. 

We're Man U a selling club when they lost Ronaldo, Lukaku?? Liverpool Courtinho? 

The difference at the moment was highlighted by Rodgers in that our club doesn't (can't) spend £70m plus on a player nor would I want us to. Perhaps that's the difference. 

I agree and think the most recent sales have been used well to strengthen the squad very significantly,  although Kante and Mahrez were big losses. Agents will always be destabilising influences. I don't really know what goes on in detail but strong willed players like Jamie Vardy seem to have their agents more under  control. The role of the manager in creating a degree of content within the dressing room must be a big factor and this seems to be a strength of Brendan Rodgers management style. Someone in the club , and it must be mainly BR and the recruitment team is currently doing a brilliant job for the club. and the club's wage levels and policy seem. to be very well judged to me.The rising stars, Barnes, Justin and I hope Fofana seem level headed young players which also helps . I don't remember Brendan ever having had the sort of problems with players and agents that happen in many clubs and hopefully that has n't been just luck because its an important and under estimated factor in management. 

1 hour ago, NeilLCFC said:

Since our promotion we’ve earned a hell of a lot more respect than Arsenal have. Yet we’re still constantly told our best players would be better of playing for a club like Arsenal.

Depends what ‘better off’ means.  In most people’s worlds it means financially ........

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Would have loved Nzonzi here. Quite ambitious by the club in 2015 wanting to sign someone who ended up at Sevilla though. 

I'm not so sure we ever really wanted Nzonzi. As part of the Huth deal, Stoke insisted we put in a £7m offer for Nzonzi because he wanted to go to Sevilla, and they were only offering something like £3m. Sped up that deal, and worked out well for both of us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-leicester-transfer-news-4873067

Stoke City were knocked out of the FA Cup by a rampant Leicester side – but the transfer window is open and the focus is on the Championship. Here are the talking points as things stand.

A gulf between two teams

If Stoke have been benchmarking themselves against the teams relegated from the Premier League this season, the two cup games against Spurs and Leicester – who both fielded near full-strength sides – was a reminder just what the benchmark is against the best.

Leicester – one point off the top in the top flight – were full of speed, movement and craft with quality in every corner. They had made eight changes against Newcastle for a league game the previous weekend, two against Stoke, both enforced.

Stoke gave a good fight for the best part of an hour but as players who were given a chance to get minutes in their legs started to tire, combined with Michael O’Neill needing to take more risks, the game quickly spiralled away.

It’s only five-and-a-half years since Stoke fans laughed when Leicester tried to sign their best player, Steven Nzonzi.

The way they’ve since leapfrogged Stoke, and about 15 other clubs, is probably a blueprint to follow. Boy, it feels a long road.

I remember Stoke fans coming over to oir away end to wind us up when they won promotion to the Premier League. Its safe to say they were winding us up more than actually celebrating. 

Then we finally got promotion and the sense of entitlement they were showing say they should wipe the floor with us only for Ulloa to get us a goal 😂 

Oh and the usual Stoke are a bigger club that Leicester 😂😂 Glad we slapped them yesterday. 

Rumour has it Philipp Wollscheid head is still spinning from when Mahrez ruined him that day😮

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

I'm not so sure we ever really wanted Nzonzi. As part of the Huth deal, Stoke insisted we put in a £7m offer for Nzonzi because he wanted to go to Sevilla, and they were only offering something like £3m. Sped up that deal, and worked out well for both of us.

This^

58 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I remember Stoke fans coming over to oir away end to wind us up when they won promotion to the Premier League. Its safe to say they were winding us up more than actually celebrating. 

Then we finally got promotion and the sense of entitlement they were showing say they should wipe the floor with us only for Ulloa to get us a goal 😂 

Oh and the usual Stoke are a bigger club that Leicester 😂😂 Glad we slapped them yesterday. 

Rumour has it Philipp Wollscheid head is still spinning from when Mahrez ruined him that day😮

The relegation at Stoke was a very bleak day. You would have been hesitant about us going back up after the 5 year low before it. 

It's why yesterday felt very satisfying. We've struggled to win there for a very long time and its a great reminder of how far we have gone since 2008.

Its tough on Stoke but for us we are like the cat that got the cream :scarf:

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Ha, I remember that. Also telling us we should know our place and **** off when we supposedly bid for nzonzi. That it would take years to achieve regular 10th spot finishes like them and that we were light years behind them, that we should be glad to finish 17th for a few seasons. If I remember rightly, that season we went on to win the league. 

• Haha 3

i went to a pre season game a couple of seasons back at their stadium (v qpr) and had some weirdo stoke fan in the hotel bar after talking shit about us saying we'd never get into europe again and we'd struggle. i laughed in his face. 

lol

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

There are some clubs instinctively feel superior to. And Stoke is one of them. Probably as for the first 28 years of.my football supporting life (1980 onwards) they were mainly in the third division and their crowds have always hovered around the 10k to 13k mark

However, I have fond memories of the old Victoria ground. My first ever away game was an ultra rare away win under Pleat. Gary Mills blasting a free kick.home.in front of a wild away end.

Also, I was there for what i still consider amongst our top 5 ever away performances in the play off second leg. Impressively intimidating, Steve Walsh marshalled a wonderfully controlled second half performance after Gary Parker's super vollley.

My first ever Leicester away game was against Stoke at the old Victoria Ground in 1976. We won 2-1 which was made all the better as Peter 'tw@t face' Shilton was in goal for them. I think the great Frankie Wortho scored for us that day.

Also I remember that their main stand was shut as it had been ravaged by fire a week or so before the game.

Edit: On checking it was a hurricane that had blown the roof off the stand a month or two earlier.

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

There are some clubs instinctively feel superior to. And Stoke is one of them. Probably as for the first 28 years of.my football supporting life (1980 onwards) they were mainly in the third division and their crowds have always hovered around the 10k to 13k mark

However, I have fond memories of the old Victoria ground. My first ever away game was an ultra rare away win under Pleat. Gary Mills blasting a free kick.home.in front of a wild away end.

Also, I was there for what i still consider amongst our top 5 ever away performances in the play off second leg. Impressively intimidating, Steve Walsh marshalled a wonderfully controlled second half performance after Gary Parker's super vollley.

I was at both those games too. The away win under ‘pleat out’ was the first in what seemed like forever. I can remember some fans starting the old jingle bells chant up and quickly getting shushed by many others lol. Oh and the angry old men in the seats behind us, flat caps and flapping arms, providing great entertainment lol.

The play off game was an adrenaline rush alright lol, from the football to getting out of the shithole, I can remember my dad telling me to stop grinn8ng as we came out as angry young man lined the walls staring all hard like. lol 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Quite entertaining, reading Forest forum posters trying to discuss LCFC with a smidge of objectivity ...

1708635948_gollumhates.JPG.1bdb0ed759672d4cb5dc4236052b80ee.JPG

That really is good, Forest the Gollum of English football. There was a time (ie Cloughie) when they had real power. Now they're to be found in dark and dismal places, bemoaning the fading glory that is unlikely to ever return.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Some rubbish about our style i.e long ball over the top to Vardy. Clearly they haven't watched us in 3 years. We are one of the most possession dominating teams in the league. Last season we were only behind Liverpool & Man City. 

We play complex intricate passing game most of the time. We have intelligent players with vision and technical ability. We pass teams off the field and we score some fantastic team goals. 

"Ball over the top to Vardy" is such an annoying lazy view on LCFC. Anyone who spouts that line should immediately be disregarded. 

The following post on that forum for example . Im assuming he watched the Newcastle game.

"I watched a bit of Leicester's game over the weekend and still don't understand why teams in the Prem fall for the one consistent Leicester attacking move, the long, high ball to Vardy. They didn't score in the bit I watched, but it was so obvious yet happened a couple of times with nearly a goal"

Edited by Koke

Just now, Koke said:

A lot of rubbish about our style i.e long ball over the top to Vardy. Clearly they haven't watched us in 3 years. We are one of the most possession dominating teams in the league. Last season we were only behind Liverpool & Man City. 

We play complex intricate passing game most of the time. We have intelligent players with vision and technical ability. We pass teams off the field and we score some fantastic team goals. 

"Ball over the top to Vardy" is such an annoying lazy view on LCFC. Anyone alehouse spouts that line should immediately be disregarded. 

The following post on that forum for example . Im assuming he watched the Newcastle game.

I watched a bit of Leicester's game over the weekend and still don't understand why teams in the Prem fall for the one consistent Leicester attacking move, the long, high ball to Vardy. They didn't score in the bit I watched, but it was so obvious yet happened a couple of times with nearly a goal

Well, the guy says he watched "a bit" of one game.  Probably no less than a lot of well paid pundits watch, who then spout similar "observations" to the whole of the UK.

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Well, the guy says he watched "a bit" of one game.  Probably no less than a lot of well paid pundits watch, who then spout similar "observations" to the whole of the UK.

Sherwood said the other week that Brendan Rodgere likes his full back to sit back and dont go far up the pitch, I turned it off immediately. 

On 10/01/2021 at 16:25, Paninistickers said:

I was there for the Gary Mills free kick win. 

It seemed like our 1st away win in ages, Southend felt like that years later. 

The 1-0 at Stoke was a great away end but, as the gloating Leicester fans got back on their coaches, the Stoke fans were going at those that were trying to get back to their cars. 

Bit of an alleyway, ambush area and as there was only 3 of us, we had to hide in a corner shop from a group of them. 

The bloke who owned the shop,locked the door, pulled the shutters down and called them wa++krs. 

We spent a few quid in his shop😄

5 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

I was there for the Gary Mills free kick win. 

It seemed like our 1st away win in ages, Southend felt like that years later. 

The 1-0 at Stoke was a great away end but, as the gloating Leicester fans got back on their coaches, the Stoke fans were going at those that were trying to get back to their cars. 

Bit of an alleyway, ambush area and as there was only 3 of us, we had to hide in a corner shop from a group of them. 

The bloke who owned the shop,locked the door, pulled the shutters down and called them wa++krs. 

We spent a few quid in his shop😄

Did it ever cross your mind the shopkeeper had paid those lads to 'chase' you into his shop.

He pulls down the shutters and you start spending.:whistle:

• Haha 1