Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

So overrated.

However if he figures out an end product and a bit of composure man city will give us £50 million, mahrez and take iheanacho back.

Final ball is usually awful.been poor for the last few games although he has improved a lot this season

Good again I thought. Yes his productivity in the final third can improve but he is considerably more positive, direct and impactful than anyone else we have, perhaps bar Ricardo. Chemistry with barnes is surprisingly poor though. 

• Like 2

I thought he was very poor last night. It was last seasons Ben Chilwell.

However I’ve noticed that when he gets the ball all our players just stand still. No one peels off, no one comes towards him. It leaves him with no option but to carry on running. Seeing as he can only run in a straight line and has little crossing ability, it becomes really easy for the opposition to deal with him.

1 hour ago, Dickov22 said:

He was our best player last night 

I think he was one our better players. Gets into great positions and carries the ball exceptionally well. 

Completely different player to the guy who couldn't take a throw in at Millwall cos he was too scared.

Chilly may have the talent but he is not adventurous, plays it safe far to often or just passes the ball onto the nearest player when in difficulties like a hot potato, which he did to Barnes far to often.

Barnes on the other hand can be, liked his solo run down the wing and shot on target forcing a save from their keeper though he still has a lot to learn.

17 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Chilly may have the talent but he is not adventurous, plays it safe far to often or just passes the ball onto the nearest player when in difficulties like a hot potato, which he did to Barnes far to often.

Barnes on the other hand can be, liked his solo run down the wing and shot on target forcing a save from their keeper though he still has a lot to learn.

Not adventurous?? On what grounds? Stat last night said he's made the most sprints this season in the Prem. Most of his play last night is sprinting down the wing and getting into attacking positions. Ludicrous comment. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Runs down the line at pace ..... goes past 2 or 3 opponents ..... gets into a great attacking position to feed a ball through or put a cross in ...... then turns back on himself and passes it back to the half way line !

This! So frustrating.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, M0901 said:

Not adventurous?? On what grounds? Stat last night said he's made the most sprints this season in the Prem. Most of his play last night is sprinting down the wing and getting into attacking positions. Ludicrous comment. 

Ludicrous? not really, runs mean nothing with not much of an end product, he turns back and passes it to others by which time the impetus is lost and then it is a case of trying to break the defence down.

chillwell make the runs and he is an out ball - but when he receives it he is too hesitant... he need to mix it up - some time cross early or some time run to the byline and either cut it back for cross.  He needs to make up his mind by the time the ball arrives and as I said... mix it up.   he must work on this

3 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Ludicrous? not really, runs mean nothing with not much of an end product, he turns back and passes it to others by which time the impetus is lost and then it is a case of trying to break the defence down.

That's called not having a meaningful option and looking for a pass. I'd rather that than a hopeless hoof in the box for Vardy who's smaller than most centre halves. So yes, ludicrous comment. We should thank our stars we have a player like him. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Koke said:

I think he was one our better players. Gets into great positions and carries the ball exceptionally well. 

Completely different player to the guy who couldn't take a throw in at Millwall cos he was too scared.

By no means was he brilliant last night but he was certainly (along with Wes) the best of a bad bunch. I’m quite baffled by the amount of criticism on here. 

Still has the same technical issue in that he turns back on himself but has no right foot. He plays across the ball rather than opening up the pitch. This causes him to turn his back to the pitch. His running goes inwards, it narrows the pitch 

Hes done the hard graft to get physically ready but could go with some real good one on one coaching to push him on. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, davieG said:

Ben Chilwell reveals how Leicester City team-mate Danny Simpson sparked his big improvement
Chilwell credits Simpson for his rise to England's first-choice left-back

ByJordan Blackwell
11:00, 29 MAY 2019

Ben Chilwell has credited departing Leicester City full-back Danny Simpson as one of the reasons behind his rise to England star.

Chilwell has improved greatly over the past 12 months, establishing himself as one of City’s most consistent performers, one of the Premier League’s best left-backs and as Gareth Southgate’s first choice.

The 22-year-old has started five of England’s last six games and is in contention to be the Three Lions’ left-back for their Nations League final campaign, which kicks off with the semi-final against the Netherlands on Thursday, June 6.

Rewind one year and Chilwell was still battling with Christian Fuchs for a berth at City, while he was yet to make his senior England debut.

But determined to improve his game and reach the top, Chilwell sought the help of Simpson, who leaves City this summer after the club chose not to offer the right-back a new contract.

The pair engaged in extra training sessions at Belvoir Drive, Chilwell using Simpson’s defensive knowhow to become tactically better.

“When I first stepped into the first team, the year we won the league, I think Danny played nearly every game,” Chilwell said at England’s St. George’s Park headquarters.

“Danny won’t mind me saying this but he’s not the quickest or the strongest, but he never seemed to get caught out defensively.

“So that was something I wanted to talk to him about because for someone who is maybe not physically as blessed as other full-backs, to never get exposed defensively, I just wanted to pick his brains on that.

“We spent a lot of time after training where he was helping me tactically and with positioning, defending at the back post, talking to people around me. It helped me a lot.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-chilwell-reveals-how-leicester-2917131

Fair play to Chilwell. I have a lot of respect for anyone who acknowledges their weaknesses and seeks out those who are better to improve.

• Like 1