Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Players talking to BBC/Stringer - Its Time!

Few people I dislike more on this Earth than Stringer. 

He’s just about the worst advert for a local journalist I could think of. I can’t believe he’s still got a job. Is he even from Leicester? Why does he profess to have any affiliation to us? Makes me dead annoyed that he’s associated with our club in any way shape or form. 

11 minutes ago, Manini said:

Few people I dislike more on this Earth than Stringer. 

He’s just about the worst advert for a local journalist I could think of. I can’t believe he’s still got a job. Is he even from Leicester? Why does he profess to have any affiliation to us? Makes me dead annoyed that he’s associated with our club in any way shape or form. 

He's click bait in human form. 

• Like 1

I'm torn between what my friend says about him who works with him and what I read and hear on here and Twitter.

He's a good journalist and reporter etc, but his personality grates on me with how he presents and conducts himself on air and online. 

17 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

top man, this sums up exactly how I feel about Stringer. and pipes

This is an awful thing to say and only he will truly know but i found his emotion and crying on air when Vicahi died completely disingenuous. The fact he entered the coverage after he died for an award and won of the back of it was very distasteful in my opinion and confirmed to me that he wasn't truly as upset as he was making out and was trying to put himself in the story to further his own career. 

I felt the same. All the time he seemed to have at least one eye on how he was coming across, and the implications for his career.

I may be doing him a disservice, but I don't think so...

Real emotion and authenticity are actually quite hard to fake on the radio, and I doubt if we're the only ones to have this impression.

16 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Dare I swim against this tidal wave of animosity towards Stringer and suggest that on the rare occasions that I listen to him on Radio Leicester (basically in the car on the way back from a game) he always comes across to me as a highly competent, listenable and insightful broadcaster who seems genuinely passionate about LCFC.

Good to have some balance, and I agree - in short bursts - he can come across ok.

But spend any time in his broadcasted company as, by unhappy circumstance, I am unfortunately forced to do - and a different picture emerges.

There is an egotism, a self-regard that he cannot disguise for long. Couple this with an almost Alan Partridgesque lack of self-awareness and his presence soon grates, 

Then there's his sycophantic tendencies (see above), careerism (ditto), cultural cloth-ears and profound humourlessness and you'll probably begin to appreciate my intolerance for the bloke, Leicester fan or no.

i do like Matt Piper though...

8 hours ago, Babylon said:

The fact he's turned it into a story just about sums it all up. 

Not just a story, but a tragedy.

"Sob, sob, daddy's leaving, but Uncle Nige made everything all right. I can be happy now, don't worry listeners."

13 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Wow. I hope Stringer doesn't read this forum much.

You lot are brutal

If you have to listen to RL a lot (as many do) the bloke is imposed upon you, like it or not - and I don't.

To bitch about him on here seems like a fairly insignificant, and certainly ineffective, way of protesting his irritating presence in my ears.

I hope he does read it, but I doubt it. Even if he did it would have zero effect on his brass-bound self-regard.

Oh, and by the way, I thought the purpose of this forum was to express personal opinion, not to blow smoke up people's backsides. I leave that to the BBC.

• Like 2

I think he's a complete helmet. The others on RL come across fairly well and I like Piper but they unfortunately get dragged down to his level by his incessant class clown bollocks. Maybe he's a really nice guy, who knows, but as a broadcaster and journalist he's not to my taste. More concerned with soundbites and inane banter than actually doing his job and keeping people informed about the things he's covering.

4 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Listened to Matt Piper last night on RL discussing the quite severe problems he faced after his football career ended prematurely. 

He came over as honest, brave and thoughtful.

Unlike Mr Stringer, who becomes progressively more and more difficult to listen to. 

The level of his sycophancy when talking to Tom Meighan is, frankly, sickening. The schoolboy innuendo, the high-pitched mirthless giggling, the 'look at me, mates with a rock-star' vibe of it...

As a Leicester fan the inclination is to cut other Leicester fans a fair amount of slack. Stringer though manages to elude this quite easily...

I see his dad is emigrating. Even he can't stand him.

• Haha 1

That Owen kid who sometimes presents the pre and post match seems like a decent lad, I’d rather he did comms on games. 

I mean I’m saying this but I listen vary rarely to RL. It affects me in no way shape or form to be honest I just love a witch-hunt 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

Guest MattP

Already been said but if someone is good enough to forgive and invite you to their house why would you broadcast it to everyone? What a tit.

Say what you want about him as a person/journo but imo he’s honestly one of the best commentators I’ve ever heard. His goal announcements are class. He always hits the right level of excitement, he comes out with some absolute belters, and his voice never cracks like you hear with so many!

11 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

Say what you want about him as a person/journo but imo he’s honestly one of the best commentators I’ve ever heard. His goal announcements are class. He always hits the right level of excitement, he comes out with some absolute belters, and his voice never cracks like you hear with so many!

Fair point - I've laid into him for all sorts of reasons - but strictly as a commentator  - he's not bad at all.

3 hours ago, Hammo said:

Dare I swim against this tidal wave of animosity towards Stringer and suggest that on the rare occasions that I listen to him on Radio Leicester (basically in the car on the way back from a game) he always comes across to me as a highly competent, listenable and insightful broadcaster who seems genuinely passionate about LCFC.

So given the option of listening to Stringer or letting Col city fan shite in my hand and then clapping. 

Col let us know when you need to go lol lol