Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Players talking to BBC/Stringer - Its Time!

2 hours ago, Manini said:

That Owen kid who sometimes presents the pre and post match seems like a decent lad, I’d rather he did comms on games. 

I mean I’m saying this but I listen vary rarely to RL. It affects me in no way shape or form to be honest I just love a witch-hunt 

Apart from the fact he is mimicking all the worst parts of Stringer. I have nothing against Stringer but he is increasingly trying to be a media personality and a lot of his act just grates. Just do a proper job and people will listen and rate you. And Owen Palmer whatever is like a little puppy reign to copy him. I think he could do much better being himself 

In the interests of balance, I'm of the opinion the guy has extraordinary levels of drive. Couple that with rhino's hide, a natural interest in IT.... the guy has something to propel him to a career and lifestyle more interesting than your average joe. In that respect, fair play.

Doesn't mean I like him, nor his chronic narcissism, staggering lack of intellectual hinterland nor his non existent element of gravitas

2 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Fair point - I've laid into him for all sorts of reasons - but strictly as a commentator  - he's not bad at all.

What? 

He's awful.

Half the time he's not even talking about the game, he's talking about what sweets he ate on the way to the match, or the fact that Matt Elliott is eating a pie, or how he was at a Jersey Budd gig.

I once tried listening to his radio commentary at a match, to see how it tallied up with what I was watching. It wasn't even ballpark and on one occasion he was saying Paul Gallagher had the ball and it was Lloyd Dyer! :blink:

I know he says stuff like, "you're not missing anything folks", but as a commentator, it's not his job to decide which bits are interesting or not. Sometimes we score goals and you've no idea how until he tells you from a replay he's obviously watching. Which is why you should be commentating all the time Strings (that's what he likes to be called, right?), because this is football and stuff happens suddenly and unexpectedly and that is usually the greatest moments... lost to a rhubarb and custard review.

• Like 3

Tries too hard to be a laaaaad and king of bants which sadly makes him come across as an annoying prat. When he's talking about football,  instead of doing fkn irritating Matt Elliott in a bar in X impressions, he can be ok. Unfortunately it appears to me 'the look at me' syndrome always wins.

Edited by Bluetintedspecs
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Wow. I hope Stringer doesn't read this forum much.

You lot are brutal

He's done a couple of QA's on here that were very popular not that too long ago (around 3/4 years ago), and many posters mentioned to him how great his analysis etc are etc etc..

From Wikipedia...

Ian Stringer is a 26-year-old software sales manager, who has worked for BBC local radio (Three Counties Radio) and once had a No. 8 hit in the charts when he rewrote the lyrics to Tony Christie's "Amarillo".[20] He claimed that "losing" and its synonyms are not words in his dictionary. He was fired in week three. In the Why I Fired Them special from later in that series, Sugar deemed Stringer to have been the worst candidate from this series, and branded him "an absolute waste of space."

He now works for BBC Radio Leicester, commentating on live coverage of Leicester City matches.

Has a golf handicap of 43, and has gone through 15 pairs of hair straighteners since starting to use them at the age of 12.

N.B. he doesn't have his own page, this from a season guide from The Apprentice.

Even Michael Trotter has his own Wiki page! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Trotter

Edit: I love the last line about his golf handicap and hair straighteners. I assume it's malicious, my hat is doffed to the author. lol

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Has progressed as a commentator and improved as a reporter. Long way from perfect, long way from how many are describing here.

I imagine that NP was fully aware that it was to be an interview for publication, not a get together and quiet pint and tears on shoulders, he has grown up enough to move on.

4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

What? 

He's awful.

Half the time he's not even talking about the game, he's talking about what sweets he ate on the way to the match, or the fact that Matt Elliott is eating a pie, or how he was at a Jersey Budd gig.

I once tried listening to his radio commentary at a match, to see how it tallied up with what I was watching. It wasn't even ballpark and on one occasion he was saying Paul Gallagher had the ball and it was Lloyd Dyer! :blink:

I know he says stuff like, "you're not missing anything folks", but as a commentator, it's not his job to decide which bits are interesting or not. Sometimes we score goals and you've no idea how until he tells you from a replay he's obviously watching. Which is why you should be commentating all the time Strings (that's what he likes to be called, right?), because this is football and stuff happens suddenly and unexpectedly and that is usually the greatest moments... lost to a rhubarb and custard review.

Mate, radio commentary isn’t easy, it would be boring if commentators only spoke when something exciting was happening on the pitch.

I actually can’t understand the venom on this thread. Strings is a great commentator, the Football Forum and Boot Room is always a good listen, he’s a fan, he’s been here a while, and quite frankly we should count ourselves lucky that we have him, having heard some of the dross on other local radio stations. If he left everyone would complain about his replacement.

Just stop giving him hate for doing his job, and doing it rather well might I add.

• Like 1

Haven't read the full thread.

I may be wrong, but the players are willing to talk to BBC Radio Leicester, as long as Stringer is not the guy asking the question. So if it is the case, Radio Leicester need to look at themselves.

Don't have anything personal against him, but I don't enjoy Stringers commentary/analysis. Seems like one of those guys that would have got bullied in class.

I like the forum and boot room but do wish he would stop screaming his rehearsed lines all over the goals when we score, he needs to be a little bit more natural at times. Sometimes it gets a bit Alan Partridge but I don’t mind that as it amuses me however I feel it gets a little too pally at times. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Mate, radio commentary isn’t easy, it would be boring if commentators only spoke when something exciting was happening on the pitch.

I actually can’t understand the venom on this thread. Strings is a great commentator, the Football Forum and Boot Room is always a good listen, he’s a fan, he’s been here a while, and quite frankly we should count ourselves lucky that we have him, having heard some of the dross on other local radio stations. If he left everyone would complain about his replacement.

Just stop giving him hate for doing his job, and doing it rather well might I add.

Hi Ian :wave:

Other commentators manage to do exactly as I mentioned. It's not like I expect the impossible.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Stoopid said:

If you have to listen to RL a lot (as many do) the bloke is imposed upon you, like it or not - and I don't.

To bitch about him on here seems like a fairly insignificant, and certainly ineffective, way of protesting his irritating presence in my ears.

I hope he does read it, but I doubt it. Even if he did it would have zero effect on his brass-bound self-regard.

Oh, and by the way, I thought the purpose of this forum was to express personal opinion, not to blow smoke up people's backsides. I leave that to the BBC.

I just think its a tad over the top.

I'm not his biggest fan with how he comes across as a person, because like you say he can give off the impression that he thinks too much of himself and the whole thing is about him.

But i think as far as local reporting goes, hes good. He isn't some frail old has been that most local stations are just desperately waiting to retire. He's informative and passionate and I think hes a very good commentator. 

Not to mention all the shit hes had in his personal life lately. 

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

In the interests of balance, I'm of the opinion the guy has extraordinary levels of drivel. Couple that with rhino's hide, a natural interest in IT.... the guy has something to propel him to a career and lifestyle more interesting than your average joe. In that respect, fair play.

Doesn't mean I like him, nor his chronic narcissism, staggering lack of intellectual hinterland nor his non existent element of gravitas

First sentence fixed for you, it's so easy to miss a letter out when speed typing.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

top man, this sums up exactly how I feel about Stringer. and pipes

This is an awful thing to say and only he will truly know but i found his emotion and crying on air when Vicahi died completely disingenuous. The fact he entered the coverage after he died for an award and won of the back of it was very distasteful in my opinion and confirmed to me that he wasn't truly as upset as he was making out and was trying to put himself in the story to further his own career. 

Can remember seeing him in Porto stumbling down the street absolutely pissed out his tree with Jason Bourne chasing after him like a sub par child minder and Matt Elliott laughing at him when we went over in the CL. Had someone text me the next day (day of the game) informing me he'd started his broadcast match day broadcast by saying they'd had a few cokes in the hotel the night before and gone to bed early lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Can remember seeing him in Porto stumbling down the street absolutely pissed out his tree with Jason Bourne chasing after him like a sub par child minder and Matt Elliott laughing at him when we went over in the CL. Had someone text me the next day (day of the game) informing me he'd started his broadcast match day broadcast by saying they'd had a few cokes in the hotel the night before and gone to bed early lol 

Thought Stringer was Teetotal says so on the boot room just about every week

10 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Anyone see Stringer on The Apprentice years ago? He got fired in something like the second week and got caught telling a fat lie. Says a lot about his character. 

Episodes 2 and 3 from series 4 of Stringer on the Apprentice are on YouTube well worth watching don't come across too well made headlines at the time for walking out on his pregnant wife for a younger woman

19 hours ago, Stadt said:

I got blocked by Stringer on twitter about 5 years ago for calling him a c unt. I was right.

Same. Challenged his knowledge and he didn't like it. 

19 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

top man, this sums up exactly how I feel about Stringer. and pipes

This is an awful thing to say and only he will truly know but i found his emotion and crying on air when Vicahi died completely disingenuous. The fact he entered the coverage after he died for an award and won of the back of it was very distasteful in my opinion and confirmed to me that he wasn't truly as upset as he was making out and was trying to put himself in the story to further his own career. 

Always felt the same. When he was on 5Live, you could almost picture him grabbing the mic off the interviewer. 

I've met him - hilariously playing football against him - after two minutes, all I wanted to do was kick him up in the air. Was like playing one of those ex-pro's 'do you know who I am?' type personality. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Stories about the journey up, what snacks purchased at services, pathetic impressions of Matt Elliott, stupid descriptions of a woman in a pink hat x rows in front, how many or what make of jumpers Pipes is wearing, what bets are placed etc etc etc that is some of the inane drivel week in week out you give us Ian or Ians RL colleague.

Far too much 'look at me I'm a laaaaaad' instead of enabling people to picture what is happening on the pitch or around the football club.

Luckily as a ST holder I don't have to listen to this garbage for home games and I try to avoid it like the plague for away games, when I do the above are mine and countless others issues.

On a positive note when I have listened Matt Piper is interesting,inciteful, honest and balanced with a tinge of obvious bias lol....a pleasure to listen too!

• Like 1