Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Players talking to BBC/Stringer - Its Time!

Things would turn out differently if Stringer didn't work for Radio Leicester, I don't know if I like Stringer or not to me he comes a little two faced and very quick pass the blame someone if something goes wrong as seen on the Apprentice sometime ago. I have heard rumours didn't support Al Young when he lost his job on the radio station, of course there was reaction after he sacked but it felt very staged.  

Recently I've found Stringer's/Piper's coverage very immature they act like mates in a pub talking rather than being professional commentating on a football match, I don't mind a bit of banter but they really go to far. Maybe this is why Matt Elliott left Radio Leicester.  I tell you excellent pundit for Radio Leicester... Steve Walsh I heard spoke the other day for the tele and he sounded really good and professional. Certainly more to admire than Matt Piper who only played for us for two years! while Walsh was with us for 14 years! 

Edited by Leicesterpool

44 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Yes let's back the employee over the innocent. The issues are stringers reporting and attitude. 

He ran with his own feelings not a true story. He did the throat slit gesture. 

Now the BBC can't get interviews from players because of Stringers attitude. 

Perhaps the BBC need reminding who pays his wage. 

But it seems endemic in the BBC like the other cvnt Dan roan both need fecking off. 

Both men have been ridiculously unprofessional in the examples you mention, but you can't have media organisations bowing to the demands of the organisations they're reporting on. That's when it stops being journalism and starts being PR.

Stringer's tactlessness in that incident has cost him and his employer in terms of access to the players, but if the BBC let the club decide which journalist interviews their players then it's hugely undermining its ability to be seen as an objective news outlet - and it'd also be one that shows it's willing to throw its own employees under the bus if outside influences demand it.

It doesn't matter if you're reporting on what the President of America is doing or whether Demarai Gray was pleased with his performance of a Saturday. If you start compromising your principles like that then you're finished as a credible news outlet. As I say, RL are paying that price in this instance for sticking to theirs. So be it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Both men have been ridiculously unprofessional in the examples you mention, but you can't have media organisations bowing to the demands of the organisations they're reporting on. That's when it stops being journalism and starts being PR.

Stringer's tactlessness in that incident has cost him and his employer in terms of access to the players, but if the BBC let the club decide which journalist interviews their players then it's hugely undermining its ability to be seen as an objective news outlet - and it'd also be one that shows it's willing to throw its own employees under the bus if outside influences demand it.

It doesn't matter if you're reporting on what the President of America is doing or whether Demarai Gray was pleased with his performance of a Saturday. If you start compromising your principles like that then you're finished as a credible news outlet. As I say, RL are paying that price in this instance for sticking to theirs. So be it.

You could argue though that he did something unprofessional and not in accordance with the standards that the BBC demands and removed him from the task of player interviews. By sticking with him they're condoning his actions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Politics and football are two very different beasts and should be judged accordingly. As I said earlier, RL could've eased the situation by getting the presenter of the show to do interviews for a few weeks, as other local beeb stations do (Nottm and Derby for example), until things blew over. I understand why they took the "The BBC will not be dictated to" line. But it's backfired for them long term unfortunately. Sometimes you have to compromise principles slightly - and it would've only been slightly.

You could argue I compromised my journalistic principles when I worked for the club's in house media operation for a period, while still doing other stuff for talkSPORT. Fortunately it was during the title winning season so there wasn't much negative stuff floating about.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Thanks, i have listened to a few of these, but personally i find them a little ummm... gentle,? i enjoy bits of it but i prefer the RL coverage. but it would be better with player involvement :)

I think it’s fair to say that lcfc radio commentary is a bit biased lol

I can't understand the importance people place on press conferences and pre/post-match interviews in this day and age. When was the last time they told you something genuinely insightful? Players and managers are media trained and you can pretty much predict what the journalists are going to ask about, so you get the same stock answers to the same stock questions every time. "You must be happy to have scored today?" "Yeah obviously I'm delighted to be on the score sheet but at the end of the day the most important thing is the team and the result." Great stuff, cheers.

Even if you're on the other side of the world and you're desperate for info, you'll get much more from listening to a decent podcast or reading a good article or two from someone who knows what they're talking about. Compare Pearson's interviews with Stringer to the sit-down interviews he's done with the likes of Stuart James and John Percy - it's night and day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

I think you're misrepresenting the point a little though. 

LCFC aren't telling RL what to report and how report it, they're saying that they won't do business with RL's chosen representative for any number of reasons and that's perfectly fair. 

There's not any censorship going on and Stringer's crime isn't just being critical of the team, it's not like they're refusing to deal with any journalist that IS critical. 

They don't like him because he's a pratt and because he's fostered a bad relationship with them. I don't think the club have ever said "we demand you sack Ian Stringer and pick a candidate we like", they've not banned him or RL from the ground and stopped him doing commentary, they've just said "that guys a pratt, we're not working with him."

Fair play really. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Can you show me where the club has backed this situation. It was always NP backed by the players. 

RL it at fault its not able to provide the same level of service other BBC stations do. Why because its sports reporter had his own agenda. He was not reporting fact or even Chinese whisper stories. 

It was all his opinion not news or the clubs view. 

So when the club refuse to talk to that other low life scum the BBC will be right to carrying on paying the cvnt. 

His wages paid for by the many thousands that have been hurt by this sad event. 

I say well done sky for reporting what the scum said. 

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think you're misrepresenting the point a little though. 

LCFC aren't telling RL what to report and how report it, they're saying that they won't do business with RL's chosen representative for any number of reasons and that's perfectly fair. 

There's not any censorship going on and Stringer's crime isn't just being critical of the team, it's not like they're refusing to deal with any journalist that IS critical. 

They don't like him because he's a pratt and because he's fostered a bad relationship with them. I don't think the club have ever said "we demand you sack Ian Stringer and pick a candidate we like", they've not banned him or RL from the ground and stopped him doing commentary, they've just said "that guys a pratt, we're not working with him."

Fair play really. 

It's not a club enforced party line though is it? 

IS appears welcome at press conferences and commentary box and by the manager. I presume it's an independent voluntary boycott by the players. 

The OP is probably right though. It's time for the players to ,'be the bigger man' and end the boycott.

In work and in life sometimes you just have to deal with people you don't like. IS is an amateur broadcaster. A citizen journalist (at best) Lacks intellect. But is clearly a talented chancer who's maxing out his life. Fair play to him in that respect.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

If a reporter made a throat-cutting gesture in the presence of a representative of Donald Trump's government, could you see him ever getting to interview any members of Trump's presidential office whilst still in power.

Cos I don't think so, and for once he'd be right.

13 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

I think it’s @Ian S that he uses here if you want to reach him.

43 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Mmm! No it's not.

If you look in @Ian S's profile it says...

"I'm not Ian Stringer, honest Guv, never heard o the geezer, I'm telling the truth, cut me throat and hope to die."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m quite neutral in this situation, but I do listen to RL and would like player post match interviews (or even chats at other times), but I can understand certain players point of view; but a few things are interesting:

When Liam Moore left for Reading (part of the team boycott) gave a one-on-one interview with Stringer.

Craig Shakespeare was on the Boot Room talking to IS on Thursday, he certainly didn’t have to.

And what always tickles me is the thought of every new player signed since Dec 2014, must be sat down by I’d imagine Morgan/Vardy/Kasper to explain the situation. And those players would have no connection with NP, but at least it saves them one post game soundbite!

• Like 2

The anodyne interviews with players are rather pointless and have become a ritual. Managers can sometimes betray their feelings more but equally they can just clam up and be rude like Pearson did.

RL is there to serve listeners not the club. Players receive high wages because of media money-albeit mostly from sky-so they have to pander to their demands. The moment clubs try to dictate to the media is the moment the bubble busts and everyone knows it.

I really couldn’t care less what the players think of Stringer. I’d rather he said it as he saw it-warts and all. Tbh it’s easier to criticise a player you never talk to as it’s less personal.

RL and the BBC are entirely right to stick by their reporter. 

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Wow I had no idea this was still going on. Fair play to the players this shows mega respect to king Nigel. 

IS comes over as a nasty serving piece of work - google back to 2008 when he was on The Apprentice to find full story, which illustrates the type of individual he is. I stopped listening to RL as soon as IS arrived. The guy is the sort who you are ashamed supports Leicester.  Nigel is head and shoulders above this man. 

Since joining BBC IS thinks he is fire proof and has just looked after number one - ideal for the BBC who live in their own world, Cloud Cuckoo Land. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

IS comes over as a nasty serving piece of work - google back to 2008 when he was on The Apprentice to find full story, which illustrates the type of individual he is. I stopped listening to RL as soon as IS arrived. The guy is the sort who you are ashamed supports Leicester.  Nigel is head and shoulders above this man. 

Since joining BBC IS thinks he is fire proof and has just looked after number one - ideal for the BBC who live in their own world, Cloud Cuckoo Land. 

Agree, except I’m not sure he even does. Certainly didn’t till he got the RL job, which pretty much doesn’t count.

I hate the little self-promoting asides he slips in every time LCFC is big news. In his tribute to Vichai, he wrote about how ‘I learned to say hello in Thai because I’m such a hell of a guy, and the new owners smiled and thought “Hey, this city must be alright, because this guy’s in it...”’

It wasn’t the place to big himself up, but he couldn’t resist. Should have been sacked or suspended by RL for the unprofessionalism under NP-it’s not up to the players to forgive him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Agree, except I’m not sure he even does. Certainly didn’t till he got the RL job, which pretty much doesn’t count.

I hate the little self-promoting asides he slips in every time LCFC is big news. In his tribute to Vichai, he wrote about how ‘I learned to say hello in Thai because I’m such a hell of a guy, and the new owners smiled and thought “Hey, this city must be alright, because this guy’s in it...”’

It wasn’t the place to big himself up, but he couldn’t resist. Should have been sacked or suspended by RL for the unprofessionalism under NP-it’s not up to the players to forgive him.

Totally agree about how he drops thing's in about himself when it's not relevant or suitable.

Loves to promote himself when Birch had a heart attack too. Kept saying he was the one who kept shouting ring an ambulance and basically wanted to play a massive part. If he did help then good on him but no need to shove it down everyone's throats for purposes of 'how great I am'. 

Unlistenable on the radio. I cannot bear to here his little sniggers and high laugh all the time with stupid jokes. Treats Piper and Elliott before him as mates not as colleagues. Embarrassing actually

• Like 1

It's been really interesting to read this as I've personally felt he's shown these 'show-off' qualities in the past week as soon as the national press have asked him an opinion.

When most people are asked about the horrendous scenario we find ourselves in, they can only explain themselves in fairly simple sentences (overcome with grief and shock) - Geoff Peters simply excellent at times during the emotion of the first days.

Stringer takes the chance to go into a monologue with wide tangents and expressed as though he's part of a Shakespeare production. 

• Like 3