Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

The atmosphere will never reach its full potential until there’s a designated singing section, allowed to stand, where Union FS are also located, next to the away fans.

It’s inevitable that a large proportion of those who want to create an atmosphere want to be next to the away fans. I fear the club will do everything possible to try and avoid this however.

• Like 1

I personally hate clappers and would like to see them binned. But I also know people who love them and take them home. 

Why not reach a compromise and rather than putting it on each and every seat, have somewhere you can collect one. And not match specific but a generic one. Much like the 6/4 cards at Cricket, those who want them will get them.

It'll only tend to be families etc so the majority of the crowd won't have one and won't really affect the atmosphere on the whole.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blueharmie said:

The atmosphere died after filbert street.

The game has changed so has the people who watch it.

Modern football, better to watch , but stadiums are like cinemas nowadays .

It's Pathe News with Pearl and Dean advertising that is killing the game....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lcfcben76 said:

Used to stand in K block when we won the league and the atmosphere was alright. Moved to SK1 due to champions league restrictions the following season and the opening game against Arsenal and the champions league nights I think the Union FS boys created some of the best atmospheres I recall. However, this season I’ve started commentating for the club and wow, sitting in that east stand you notice the difference, L1 non existent, Union FS you can see them making noise and you can hear the drum but that’s about it and then all you can hear is the away fans completely drown everyone out. The atmosphere is sadly getting worse and worse in my opinion 

Spot on.

You can’t hear L1 from the Kop and you can barely hear SK1 from L1. You can see them making an effort, there just isn’t a big enough group. Hopefully they grow in size, because clappers do kill any noise and whilst they are free mementos, they create an awful noise when done in unison. 

I get why certain people like them but it doesn’t add to atmosphere, it really detracts from it. 

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Spot on.

You can’t hear L1 from the Kop and you can barely hear SK1 from L1. You can see them making an effort, there just isn’t a big enough group. Hopefully they grow in size, because clappers do kill any noise and whilst they are free mementos, they create an awful noise when done in unison. 

I get why certain people like them but it doesn’t add to atmosphere, it really detracts from it. 

This is what baffles me, the owner is incredible yes but having sat in that east stand now it has become clear how draining the clappers are to the atmosphere. Surprised no one has said something and then pulled the plug, freebies are fantastic and we all love the owner but sometimes we would rather go without. Unfortunately the atmosphere will never improve until we:

1. Get rid of clappers

2. Organise a safe standing zone or specific singing section

18 minutes ago, lcfcben76 said:

This is what baffles me, the owner is incredible yes but having sat in that east stand now it has become clear how draining the clappers are to the atmosphere. Surprised no one has said something and then pulled the plug, freebies are fantastic and we all love the owner but sometimes we would rather go without. Unfortunately the atmosphere will never improve until we:

1. Get rid of clappers

2. Organise a safe standing zone or specific singing section

The owner is a businessman first a foremost. He will be bothered about bums on seats and the cash this brings. The club fills the seats meaning that part is tick winner.

Atmosphere/clapper/safe standing etc would be picked up by ‘football people’ in the club. To the knowledge I have these are sparse within the higher ranks of the club.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TK95 said:

Why not reach a compromise and rather than putting it on each and every seat, have somewhere you can collect one. And not match specific but a generic one. Much like the 6/4 cards at Cricket, those who want them will get them.

This has been suggested over and over at the various fan consultations, there were rumours that it was going to change to a collection system at the start of last season but we're still in the same place with clappers everywhere other than L1 and beneath Union FS' banner. 

If nothing else they're a hideous waste of resources, over half a million produced every season for league games and I bet less than 5% make it further than the bin by the end of a match day. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Derby Blue said:

When designing any of the newer stadiums, you'd have thought they'd have brought in some clever acoustic designers to try and maximise the home support volumes, and potentially minimise away support volumes, particularly at pitch level.

I remember at the time our new stadium was being planned, Mr Elsom and several others went on a jolly tour of Europe, looking for the best stadia, atmosphere and design. But, somehow we ended up with a replica of St Mary's. 

I'm certain better planning will go into the redesign. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can't see how it will ever be anything else but terrible, its because there's only a small number of fans willing to sing, unless a whole end is given to like minded fans how can it change?  The title winning season was different because everyone got swept along with 'miracle' that was unfolding.

So I think the whole discussion is moot.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 13:15, Derby Blue said:

When designing any of the newer stadiums, you'd have thought they'd have brought in some clever acoustic designers to try and maximise the home support volumes, and potentially minimise away support volumes, particularly at pitch level.

That should be considered but you also have to consider the regulations on fire escapes, row heights and also viewing positions. Sadly they get prioritised. 

There was a really interesting podcast with the architect of Spurs stadium on football ramble which explained all the factors which go into it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

Watched on TV all i heard was the Spuds fan singing until Oreo disallowed goal our fans livened up, let's be fair our fans are sh ite need a stand where like minded lads can get together and sing, the fosse boys are to posh and L1 are riff raff.

How to piss everyone off in one take.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Well it certainly didn’t sound ‘shite’ in the stadium! If people expect vociferous none stop volume, it doesn’t happen, at virtually every ground not just ours. The atmosphere was good at times, but the last twenty minutes you could feel the energy pulsating through the stands, rather like the United 5-3 game five years ago to the day. The players certainly fed off the atmosphere, that’s all that matters surely, not whether joe bloggs doesn’t like clappers or we aren’t as loud as x y z...

Well said.

18 minutes ago, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

Watched on TV all i heard was the Spuds fan singing until Oreo disallowed goal our fans livened up, let's be fair our fans are sh ite need a stand where like minded lads can get together and sing, the fosse boys are to posh and L1 are riff raff.

You could always get yourself down and help contribute to a better atmosphere!

I watched on TV too (BT) and was chuffed with how we sounded. Was really noisey and got on the refs back which makes a difference even hoddle who some seem to think is ultra biassed was saying how good we were. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

You could always get yourself down and help contribute to a better atmosphere!

I watched on TV too (BT) and was chuffed with how we sounded. Was really noisey and got on the refs back which makes a difference even hoddle who some seem to think is ultra biassed was saying how good we were. 

I've tried but most look at you like you're a nut job.