Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

I’ve seen it a few times where people have suggested we press more or higher up the pitch but we do, we’re one of the better pressing sides in the league - it’s why we’ve got a reasonable defensive record.

Its possibly the same group that thinks we pressed high up the pitch the season we won the league because Vardy chased down lost causes sometimes 

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

He does applaud the fans. He is animated on the touchline.

Some fans won't ever take to him. He should get on with trying to win games and get the players onside which is most important.

Perhaps somewhat hypocritical because I probably like him less than when he first arrived but some sections of people that want him out there’s always a new stick to beat him with. 

• Like 1

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

My point is that I found it odd that he's the only manager since Taylor that you wanted to bin-off mid-season. But if you've since changed your mind it's cool.

When have I changed my mind? Why would I lie about something like that? It's not like I said I was a millionaire or have a 15 inch cock! Surely I would be in a better position to remember my own personal memories and experiences than you a complete stranger. What a strange thing to debate me on!

Just now, The whole world smiles said:

When have I changed my mind? Why would I lie about something like that? It's not like I said I was a millionaire or have a 15 inch cock! Surely I would be in a better position to remember my own personal memories and experiences than you a complete stranger. What a strange thing to debate me on!

You just said you wanted him out for 5 days. That implies you've changed your mind. I'm bored with your nonsense now. Please don't reply.

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I was thinking this.

84 pages on something that is basically a few fans' wet dream.

So depressing that it's one of the hottest threads on here. I've still to see one actual solid piece of evidence to suggest he was ever "facing the sack" when the thread was started, never mind now. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No one is saying he should do it all the time or go OTT with it. 

I'm just looking at small ways where he could help himself connect better with the fans.

Like it or not, image counts for a lot in the modern society.

He just needs a few tweaks here and there IMHO to help get a stronger connection.

This isn't slagging him off, this is trying to help.

The fans that don't like him won't be brought back onside if he starts to clap them or give them a wave after a win. That's because they're largely split into two groups:

A) those who have (some very understandable) concerns about our style of play. Will be won over if we figure out how to consistently break down and beat poor teams and remain a threat to better teams.

B) those who decided immediately that Puel is a boring idiot who hates excitement and can't speak English. Will possibly be won over if Puel wins the treble unbeaten.

Now I think about it, I don't think most of his detractors actually care at all about his demeanor or personality. It's just a lazy argument thrown at him when results and performances take a dip. I remember Pochettino not speaking a word of English curiously ceased to be an issue once he started doing well at Southampton.

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

So depressing that it's one of the hottest threads on here. I've still to see one actual solid piece of evidence to suggest he was ever "facing the sack" when the thread was started, never mind now. X 

It’s only hot because Tiddles has come in to replace Puel, but has subsequently been sacked already.

• Like 1

I think the thread is hot because this debate is the biggest cause of disagreement amongst supporters at the moment. The fact that we’re having this discussion when we’re 7th and a mile off relegation probably says a lot about what good nick the club is in at the moment. 

The thing that I struggle with most is the occasional suggestion that some people are so desperate to get Puel sacked they want us to lose.

This is where the divide becomes toxic in my view. 

If Puel were sacked anytime over the next few months or end of season, I would respect our Owners decision. I’d be worried that we get a replacement who would be an improvement, but I would back the club wholeheartedly and give the team and new manager my complete support. 

What I don’t understand is why we can’t respect the owners decision to stick by him? We say we’re in great hands, yet don’t trust their decisions when it comes to keeping the manager. Of course, express concerns where appropriate, and many are, but surely our primary role as fans is to support the team through, as we sing, good times and the bad, not wish defeat upon them. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

TBH if we sack him when we are sitting 7th/8th, I think they would be totally on the mark. 

Plus, we would be absolutely crucified in the media if we did do this, unlike Manure with Jose.

(Sorry about Vinnie BTW- it must tough right now. A few pints of Everard's finest with some Baby-sham chasers should help you sleep tonight).

2 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

Can anyone who thinks everything is as simple as "just play counter attack" please explain exactly how that works against teams that do not push their centre backs and full backs forward? Cardiff's CBs sat back for the entire game, compare and contrast with the games against Man City and Chelsea, where the CBs were often strolling forward into the Leicester half frequently, and it's clear to see there is a hell of a lot more space in behind the defenders to play the ball into for Vardy then than there was in the Cardiff game.

We could sit deep ourselves anyway, in the hope that the opposition commits enough players forward to press us, but that will still require us to be able to play the ball around a high press to make space for the quick ball forward - which requires a defence more comfortable on the ball, which we have been assembling. Still, there is no guarantee that the opposition will take the bait and press and commit their defenders forward. Think back to the Watford game at home in the title season. Our best ever team, the best counter attacking unit around - and Watford turned up with the same tactics. The game was a complete stalemate in the first half. Nobody could play the ball in behind, and both teams just kept humping it forward and conceding possession. The breakthrough came from an absolute howler by Gomes in the second half, after which Watford had to chase the game, and that's when they committed their defenders higher up the pitch, and there was space in behind for Vardy to win the penalty.

We no longer have Kante and Drinkwater - Kante is the best in the world at what he does, because he is not just brilliant at winning the ball, but also pacy, able to turn on the ball quickly and an under-rated dribbler. He doesn't just win the ball, he is superb at driving the ball forward 10 yards or more, to get the attack onto the front foot after the transition. Drinkwater had a great understanding of Vardy's runs, and a good long passer, capable of getting his head up and seeing the runs in behind that Vardy makes. On top of that we also had Mahrez, one of the best wingers in the league, and a constant threat, drawing the attention of multiple defenders, again creating more space for Vardy. Our current midfielders are not as good at Kante at driving forwards, and none of them are as good as Drinkwater at picking out Vardy with long balls. Vardy also has more defenders focussed on him now Mahrez is gone, as none of our wingers are as dangerous as he was.

All this adds up to us needing to find a way to break down deep sitting, packed defences, using the players we have now. It is not as simple as "just" upping the tempo and playing counter attack, it wasn't working for Shakespeare against the likes of Huddersfield and WBA, and it won't work reliably now, except against the better teams who leave space behind to exploit. We need to become more multi-faceted, able to exploit possession when we have large amounts of it, whilst still able to launch effective counter attacks when the opportunities present themselves. We have score a decent amount of counter attacking goals this season, and Puel is hardly telling players to ignore viable counter attacks when they are possible - when they are on the pitch, the players have to get their heads up and make the decisions as to what to do - if Vardy is making a run behind, and the player thinks they can pick him out, then they are the ones who decide whether to do it or not. They are still trying to do it, against Cardiff, Mendy and Maddison both made attempts at times to pick Vardy out, and gave the ball away because they couldn't pull it off - so clearly they are either "going against Puel's supposed instructions", or they were perfectly at liberty to try the counter, but unable to pull it off.

Against these packed, deep sitting teams, all the space tends to be in front of the defence, not behind it. This is why we end up playing it sideways so much, because it is where the space is. The problems we have is that when it is not working, we need to be able to do it quicker and more fluidly, or with more unpredictable off the ball movement, to open up gaps in the defence to create chances. This is what we did against Cardiff away, putting together a slick passing move that lead to Gray's goal. We put together a patient passing move against Cardiff at home, which lead to us opening a space in their defence, getting Maddison in behind, and winning a penalty. If we had converted it, which we should have been able to, then Cardiff would have been forced to gamble and push up to chase the game, or carry on as they were and tamely run out 1-0 losers.

This is a great post. Totally hits the nail on the head.

15 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Plus, we would be absolutely crucified in the media if we did do this, unlike Manure with Jose.

(Sorry about Vinnie BTW- it must tough right now. A few pints of Everard's finest with some Baby-sham chasers should help you sleep tonight).

Sadly it’s dry January for me :( 

51 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I was thinking this.

84 pages on something that is basically a few fans' wet dream.

He won't be getting the sack, doesn't deserve to be. Should really be applauding the guy for what he's achieved over Xmas period

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

He won't be getting the sack, doesn't deserve to be. Should really be applauding the guy for what he's achieved over Xmas period

Up with this sort of thing :appl:

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

I read that in the Mercury this morning ...    but thought whilst he says its all rubbish that there is a problem with him and the players ...   this comment was quite telling ...

"The 22-year-old said Puel has the support of the younger players ..."

Yep I picked up on that sometimes you can’t teach an old dog new tricks plus a lot of the old guard are being fazed out moved on probably the unrest every one keeps saying they’re is in the dressing room