Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

2 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I'm not too fussed on how he conducts himself in the media, I don't need a friend or a comedian.

No one is asking for a friend or comedian. The point I'm making is that he doesn't do enough, in various ways (including the media but not exclusively that), to help his cause.

We're currently seventh, which is great, yet the fans are split. And I believe some is down to how he operates.

A few tweaks would help him a lot.

I'm trying to be constructive.

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

Not sure where to start with that.

You'd be better off talking to a wall.

This kind of posters made up their made mind a very, very long time a go, namely when he was appointed and will never change their opinion even if he wins the CL. One of them just re-opened the ball and they smelt blood.

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No, I'm saying he could do more to connect with supporters which would make fans a little less divisive.

Do you have any constructive ways for him to improve?

I am not critcising this viewpoint - he does come across as a bit dour, and lacks the passion of some past managers for sure, at least this is how he seems..

Coming over to the fans, and not just appluading them, but rousing them would surely help, but perhaps its just not his personna?

Don`t know myself, but you know, "its a results business, yadda yadda yadda"

29 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

"So Tiddles, you sit here as the new Leicester manager. What are your thoughts on the situation with Adrian Silva?"

cat-smiling-14.jpg.4e8d038e62e853a4f2cdb30e9b3a5c91.jpg

No, on second thoughts, he speaks with a funny accent and doesn't fist pump when we win.

Tiddles Out.

• Like 1

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No one is asking for a friend or comedian. The point I'm making is that he doesn't do enough, in various ways (including the media but not exclusively that), to help his cause.

We're currently seventh, which is great, yet the fans are split. And I believe some is down to how he operates.

Perhaps right, I don't speak for all but my opinion is that as long as the job is done right then I'm not too fussed... Could always be worse Geoff, could get some miserable so and so giving media stick all the time :D

Maybe it is the language barrier and his confidence talking publicly. Think fans are more split based on what's happening on the pitch and that's genuinely where I feel he's got his hands tied and being beaten with a stick.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

"its a results business, yadda yadda yadda"

Yep, agree totally, but despite doing well enough to have us seventh currently, which should be applauded of course, the fans don't seem to warm to him properly and that seems bizarre.

I'm looking at ways how he can become more loved.

2 hours ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Just the title of this thread makes me laugh.

I've followed the club for 25 years and over most of those years, if someone had said this would be a thread when we're 7th in the Premier League, I'd of fell off my chair!

I just cant begin to understand what this forum would be like if we were in the depths of the bottom half and fighting relegation!!!

Matey as i said previously my sentiments entirely some of these younger fans and the bandwagon jumpers need to have 25ml of reality check  3 times a day until they improve ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Yep, agree totally, but despite doing well enough to have us seventh currently, which should be applauded of course, the fans don't seem to warm to him properly and that seems bizarre.

I'm looking at ways how he can become more loved.

Cannot disagree with this Geoff. Would like him to be more loved, quite why he isn`t can only be down to how he portrays himself I guess.

Something only he can fix, if he can be arsed and it does not detract from results!

12 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

We were lucky to beat Chelsea and by luck we scored against Everton when we played awful, beaten by Cardiff who were much better than us. Only Man City did we have a plan to counter their play makers.

We are a counterattacking team and Puel has killed our Style. I said in summer that we should of got Ralph Hasenhüttl, which would have been perfect for us, high tempo high pressing counterattacking football. 

Rode our luck at Chelsea and nicked a win- lucky.

Better side against an admittedly dreadful Everton- lucky.

Outplay Cardiff, miss our chances and lose to a long-range screamer- 'they were much better than us'.

Lol.

• Like 4

NFP never seemed bothered about what the fans thought, at times he went out of his way to piss us off (if you don't like it, don't come) and yet many were in awe of that attitude.

If he'd spoken with a French accent that may have changed some views of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This thread started some time ago, when we hadn’t played well in whole a game for.... I don’t know about a year. We’ve played shit for a long, long time and the manager has not been getting the best out of the players he has, and we couldn’t beat / draw against relegation candidates (still can’t actually).

Lets face it we’ve won these games not with Claude’s style but with a bit of tempo and counter attack. Both of which he has eroded from our play over the last 14 month's. These games have fallen into place and not by his design given previous evidence. When will the penny drop that the common denominator to success high tempo and getting Vardy in the game more? 

All that said the argument for sacking him is now totally redundant given where we sit in the league after three wins in a week. 

Three swallows don’t make a summer, and he’s not my choice going forward despite our current place which does reflect the poor standard of the division I think. I’d definitely start looking elsewhere now and still replace at the season’s end. 

And before the same old faces start with: “we can’t do better than 7th with our players”

etc etc.

1. My cat could have us sat in 7th over this season. 

2. A better manager would have us on more points than this guy (who knows what place we could be with a better manager). 

images.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It's a bit odd that fans never sing positive songs about the manager, barring that collective outpouring after Cardiff away.

Assuming there are plenty of 'Puel inners' who attend games, any idea why this might be?

My view is that he's never really attempted to bond with the fans, maybe because he doesn't really 'get' English football in the way other foreign bosses do.

He missed a trick at Chelsea, great result, could've gone over to the fans, pumped fists, lots of clapping, little things like that over time would probably help.

I appreciate English is not his first language (and fair play for not constantly hiding behind an interpreter) but a bit more charm and slicker communication wouldn't go amiss.

I wish he'd tweak his managerial style and we could all feel differently towards him.

He's not an easy figure to warm to in various ways, notwithstanding results being good enough to have us in seventh currently.

I'm trying to make a constructive point, trying to help him, although I accept some here will see it differently.

The over-the-top rampant fist pumping isn't his style and that's fine. I find it a bit embarrassing when the likes of Klopp and Mourinho come out with these obviously staged displays of "passion", but if that's what it takes for people to connect with the man who has us seventh in the table a couple of months after the helicopter tragedy then fair play to them. I suppose we all have different criteria for what makes a good manager, but smooth talking and charm aren't particularly high on my list, personally. I want him to win games, not seduce me and begin a whirlwind romance.

I also don't think there's really a link between how often his name is sung and how much fans approve of him. There are plenty of well-liked players, past and present, who haven't really had songs dedicated to them.

16 minutes ago, Guest said:

The over-the-top rampant fist pumping isn't his style and that's fine.

No one is saying he should do it all the time or go OTT with it. 

I'm just looking at small ways where he could help himself connect better with the fans.

Like it or not, image counts for a lot in the modern society.

He just needs a few tweaks here and there IMHO to help get a stronger connection.

This isn't slagging him off, this is trying to help.

19 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I read that in the Mercury this morning ...    but thought whilst he says its all rubbish that there is a problem with him and the players ...   this comment was quite telling ...

"The 22-year-old said Puel has the support of the younger players ..."

39 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Here you go again GP do you want a match ? You are supposed to be a true city fan outpouring your grief for the owner etc ( paid grief on national radio is different to normal fans grief) we don’t get paid for grief rhetoric! I know you are a few years younger than me but I think you are a true fan although sometimes I doubt that! Can’t you for once put your journo career to one side and think about what a great state the club are currently in instead of trying to take cheap shots to try and further your career . Take a leaf out of Arlos  career less is more !

Edited by mazarron fox
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This thread started some time ago, when we hadn’t played well in whole a game for.... I don’t know about a year. We’ve played shit for a long, long time and the manager has not been getting the best out of the players he has, and we couldn’t beat / draw against relegation candidates (still can’t actually).

Lets face it we’ve won these games not with Claude’s style but with a bit of tempo and counter attack. Both of which he has eroded from our play over the last 14 month's. These games have fallen into place and not by his design given previous evidence. When will the penny drop that the common denominator to success high tempo and getting Vardy in the game more? 

All that said the argument for sacking him is now totally redundant given where we sit in the league after three wins in a week. 

Three swallows don’t make a summer, and he’s not my choice going forward despite our current place which does reflect the poor standard of the division I think. I’d definitely start looking elsewhere now and still replace at the season’s end. 

And before the same old faces start with: “we can’t do better than 7th with our players”

etc etc.

1. My cat could have us sat in 7th over this season. 

2. A better manager would have us on more points than this guy (who knows what place we could be with a better manager). 

Common argument I come across from a Puel Outer

When we lose, all his fault. 

When we win, absolutely nothing to do with him. Not like he selects the side, formation tactics etc etc he only ever does that when we lose.

We're in 7th under Puel, not because he's done enough to get us there, but because the standard of the league is poor.

We won the league,  or because the standard of the league was poor, but we because we'd done enough to win it.

You state, as fact, that a better manager WOULD have us on more points, but that is all ifs buts and maybes.

I ask you when will the penny drop for you? We are a club in transition trying to make a step up. To do that we have to invest in ourselves. Puel has been brought in to get that task started. He's reducing the age of a tiring squad, tidying up the complete shambles of our recruiting after the league win whilst working under a somewhat restricted budget because of said shambles. Trying to work with a core of players totally used to playing one way and getting them to vary their game. Investing time and trust in youth and whilst doing all of this he still has us reasonably competitive in the most competitive league in the world. 

He's boring, we know that. I get frustrated at games but he is, in fact, doing alright.

He's not the man to take us to the next level, but he is the man to lay the foundations for that to happen

30 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Which is where I'm amazed. Why should we care as long as he's doing his job? Even then, did we ever give him a proper support on the ground? It's a two-way street.

The fans are split because of unrealistic expectations following the title, because of what Southampton fans said and mostly because he's been given a shitty, long-term task to accomplish, namely cleaning the mess on every level that happened after 2016. Furthermore he was the first manager after three loved and successful ones (Shakespeare as coach, not manager). It was bound to make him unpopular with some. He still took it on the chin and did what he had to. For this he should get get much more credit than what's been given.

I also expected that you, out of all posters, would cut him some slack und put things in perspective, as it was clear as daylight that we were going to be shit for a while before we see the light. But yeah, I'm not as savvy as you and you know and see things I certainly don't.

Dude a lot of us older posters can see that on here you are dealing with people with a totally different agenda to the normal fan. Just accept that it is a career path choice not a true fans 

25 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No one is saying he should do it all the time or go OTT with it. 

I'm just looking at small ways where he could help himself connect better with the fans.

Like it or not, image counts for a lot in the modern society.

He just needs a few tweaks here and there IMHO to help get a stronger connection.

This isn't slagging him off, this is trying to help.

The things is that surely he won't be completely oblivious to the fact that a large number of fans do not want him at the club?

Even after a victory, as I've just said, a Puel Outer will not give him.any credit. So I don't blame him for not coming over and applauding the fans. He would probably be met with a torrent of abuse from some sections, such is the dislike of him from a select few. Surely you know better than anyone that the moaners in life always make the most noise? 

I do agree that he could tweak some aspects of his approach to try and help but I fear it's too far gone for him to change the minds of some. 

So the only things he can do is to keep us winning enough games to be competitive 

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

My expectations of Sousa and Sven were higher than they currently are for Puel, given that we were in a lower division where we were one of the highest, if not THE highest, spenders. Vichai and Top obviously thought so too.

Anyway getting back to puel. What your point with him? That I should be on his back? That I shouldn't have wanted him out for about 5 days?

2 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyway getting back to puel. What your point with him? That I should be on his back? That I shouldn't have wanted him out for about 5 days?

My point is that I found it odd that he's the only manager since Taylor that you wanted to bin-off mid-season. But if you've since changed your mind it's cool.