Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You know what's really crap? How the pundits fail to tell us what the footballers are actually aiming for. 

Gary Neville made the comparison with cricket commentary - their commentaries describe the conditions, the tactics, what the bowler is attempting to do the batsmen. When football punditry involves analysis, it's normally a narration rather than an explanation. Nonsense such as 'he's hit that hard' rather than what's actually being attempted there. Neville is one of the few is doing it. Goalkeepers for example are forever criticised yet very rarely do actually have analysis from a goalkeeper explaining the action. Tactics as well probably more so than the skill - Neville quickly pointed out what Arsenal's front three were doing against Man City by comparison Hinchcliffe is great explaining a corner technique but does very little otherwise. 

The n**bs like Sutton, Mills et al provide no expertise. Just an opinion. Which is a bit like this place really. 

Image result for you take that back

• Haha 2

Even snooker pundits are good. They get the top, top pros on there. Hendry, Davis, Parrot and Virgo. All telling you exactly how a shot might play out.

I don't know why football commentary seems to get utter cretins. Neville is the exception and I've warmed to Rio. The rest can sod off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've said this before in the cricket thread but definitely agree. The coverage of cricket on Sky is ****ing incredible. The pundits are all superb, intelligent, high level former pros, the discussion is insightful and informative. 

As a relative layman when it comes to cricket I learn so much that I actually enjoy watching test cricket almost as much for that as any action and I enjoy the breaks in play because they'll go in to some nets or something and actually act out what they're talking about to show you or have a crap load of charts and stills. 

Tell you what's also quite good for it, American football. The coverage with guys like Jeff Reinebold explaining in enormous detail tactical plays and what's happening give you so much more appreciation for the game. 

Rugby is usuuuuuaaallly pretty good, the melts like Dawson and Guscott add nothing but when guys like Wilkinson, Kay, Warburton, Flatman, O'Gara and Co start going in to detail they're absolutely superb. 

You're right that Neville doing tactical breakdowns is the closest thing football coverage has and we know he's only there because he was United. That's the problem, our football coverage is all about just pandering to thick fans of being clubs who are intimidated by anything tactical or intelligent. They just want to say famous players that played for them saying nice things. 

Fully agree with you, I was a basically a complete new watcher to the cricket last year around the world cup, and the explanations and inside knowledge the commentators added was impeccable. They take time aside to inform the listener/watcher of so much information of what's being attempted and why etc. The fact that a regular watcher can learn so much from listening to then have discussions with other fans and it really gets you to want to continue watching. 

As you highlighted with football, we in general get to watch thick ex-pros say "this was a nice run" or "great set piece" without explaining to anyone what was the thought process behind it. Sadly the bit I've highlighted is too true. They won't go into depth because they risk losing your thick fans. Take the return of the Prem, we could've had great explanations of the tactics of Arsenal/Man City and how they were or weren't effective. But all we get given is crap like "they play a high defensive line", which we all can see is happening, but why are they doing that. We really need to clear out so many pundits who are just there because of their name or the fact they've always been there. For instance, I don't think Owen or Mcmanaman bring any intelligent discussions to the table, but the likes of Hargreaves, Ferdinand even Joe Cole will discuss tactics and set-ups.

Danny Higginbotham is brilliant on co-comms, never seen him in a studio but I’ve always been impressed because he knows his onions tactically.

Shearer has improved massively too, used to be very typical with what he said but has gotten better at picking a game apart 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

The view on crowd noise may be predictable, but that picture is beyond shocking

Cannot unsee, part 3:

NPostr.JPG.53bd3141126d0f90133555d7bf0fc477.JPG     ostrich.JPG.5416dd4f90b9844444b8415681be7ece.JPG

Are you an … an ... an ...

oh FFS this has utterly fried my brain.

• Haha 4

I prefer the crowd sound to silence, but the bloke controlling it just had bit of a mind fart.

Why turn on the cheering for a deflected ball that looped back to the keeper.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

I was just typing similar, it’s not good when I’m half watching and I look up expecting something to be happening

2 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I prefer the crowd sound to silence, but the bloke controlling it just had bit of a mind fart.

That's one of the reasons I can't be doing with it

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Interesting that basically the entire Villa squad appeared to all have had haircuts recently, and all other teams haven't.  I'd laugh if the club had brought a bloody barber in

I was just saying the same! 

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Interesting that basically the entire Villa squad appeared to all have had haircuts recently, and all other teams haven't.  I'd laugh if the club had brought a bloody barber in

We commented on that. No way Grealish did that stupid plait  himself either.