Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Most goalkeepers don’t come out like absolute maniacs and just clatter whoever they fancy. Ederson came with a reputation of being a brave goalkeeper, but he’s anything but. 

It’s always Ederson and he always gets away with it. Why wouldn’t he do this when he never gets punished?! 

The monk

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Tbh with our tannoy being so loud by the dugouts side I don't blame him!

Yet in other parts of the grounds it's pretty useless.

Anyray be unrealistic to have any noise unless we were 2/0 up in the last minute.

Apart for in the Rookery the Vic is a pretty quiet place  unless it's a big win.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Tbh with our tannoy being so loud by the dugouts side I don't blame him!

Yet in other parts of the grounds it's pretty useless.

Anyray be unrealistic to have any noise unless we were 2/0 up

in the last minute.

Apart for in the Rookery the Vic is a pretty quiet place  unless it's a big win.

Pretty similar to our tannoy at the KP. I hold the Birch partly responsible for my bad hearing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Pretty similar to our tannoy at the KP. I hold the Birch partly responsible for my bad hearing.

I'm not sure if is the PA system or Birch that is the issue.

I can barely understand a word he says, but the stadium announcer guy is perfectly clear. I assume they use the same system, but Birch sounds like your drunk Uncle on the karaoke at a wedding....

34 minutes ago, notnow john said:

... but he does say the 'challengers' should be looking to take Cags and Ricardo as solutions. Right oh. 

• Like 2

Souness is an awful pundit (not because he doesn’t say nice things about us) because he adds nothing insightful. He gets irate over innocuous things because it doesn’t suit his vision of 90s football.

The more I think about the more I think broadcasters don’t want any nuanced, interesting views because vacuous morons like Souness, Redknapp, Murphy, Mills and Savage would never get a big gig. Sutton is a whiney bellend but at least he provokes reactions and can add to a discussion by offering a dissenting view 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, evil jack said:

Well he pretty much ignored us as Champions, so no surprise there.

He’s always been a complete miserable douche. I mean he has done a few ‘super Sunday’s’ for us a lone pundit ... I mean we won both games but he made it out to be a fluke almost and was just miserable. I really really dislike him. He also has no insight into the game ... at least carra and Neville and to some extent redknapp talk football. He can’t. No idea why he’s still retained by sky. 

Edited by casablancas

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Souness is an awful pundit (not because he doesn’t say nice things about us) because he adds nothing insightful. He gets irate over innocuous things because it doesn’t suit his vision of 90s football.

The more I think about the more I think broadcasters don’t want any nuanced, interesting views because vacuous morons like Souness, Redknapp, Murphy, Mills and Savage would never get a big gig. Sutton is a whiney bellend but at least he provokes reactions and can add to a discussion by offering a dissenting view 

Think you've summed it up pretty well here. A similarity to Souness is Roy Keane, similar attitudes but Keane can and does add decent points to topics.  

Sutton complains a fair amount but do enjoy listening to his points. Savage always sounds as if he's reading off an autocue of some kind.

9 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I'm not sure if is the PA system or Birch that is the issue.

I can barely understand a word he says, but the stadium announcer guy is perfectly clear. I assume they use the same system, but Birch sounds like your drunk Uncle on the karaoke at a wedding....

Yeah it's absolutely booming outside of my turnstile (19-24). Like the first time you go out clubbing and stand next to the speakers lol

42 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I agreed with you up until you brought up Sutton. 

I'd say Savage offers a dissenting view, he isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and he often has a valid point. He's happy to play the bad guy and not pander to the fans of big clubs, will happily call them out on their delusions. Yeah, his personality is annoying and I don't always agree with him but he's not the clown he's made out to be. 

But Sutton, whilst sharing a lot of those traits, nearly always takes up the Adrian Durham view JUST to be reactionary and make that his shtick. Savage isn't trying to get a reaction, he just often gets one because he doesn't always come out with the bland, vanilla nice crap he's meant to say about the big clubs. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I agreed with you up until you brought up Sutton. 

I'd say Savage offers a dissenting view, he isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and he often has a valid point. He's happy to play the bad guy and not pander to the fans of big clubs, will happily call them out on their delusions. Yeah, his personality is annoying and I don't always agree with him but he's not the clown he's made out to be. 

But Sutton, whilst sharing a lot of those traits, nearly always takes up the Adrian Durham view JUST to be reactionary and make that his shtick. Savage isn't trying to get a reaction, he just often gets one because he doesn't always come out with the bland, vanilla nice crap he's meant to say about the big clubs. 

I was having a similar conversation the other day. Pundits often speak in euphemistic ways, they rarely ever describe things for what they are, performances are usually “not the best” or it “wasn’t great” rather than just saying it was pathetic. Sutton is in the bottom 50% of pundits, he’s not a clever bloke but he doesn’t tow the party line with the other pundits. I agree he’s the pundit equivalent of Adrian Durham but I think I’d rather that than three nodding dogs that deal in the same tired cliches.

A big part of the problem with pundits is that so many of them have cushy ambassadorial gigs at their former clubs so if they start slagging them off they lose out on the gravy train. Solskjaer has been toss at United yet even Keane won’t stick the boot in, because he’s his mate. 

There’s never seemingly any sort of appraisal for pundits, they can say objectively untrue things and they’re never going to be booted off. Even the more inoffensive pundits are toss, Jermaine Jenas never seems to resist saying “av played with so and so at Totnum, ee’ stop drawer” and that’s about the most unique thing he can offer. Pundits rarely seem to read around the sport too, the “I’ve played the game” and therefore “know” it mentality is really pervasive which doesn’t offer you much, it’d be sacrilegious for some players if journalists appeared regularly on match of the day, even though they’re more likely to provide better insights. The European Football Show on BT was great because the journos told you things you genuinely didn’t know, like the f uck do I know about Cagliari? In English football we have pundits telling us how that screamer that we’ve just seen was “great technique” yep, thanks for that, couldn’t have worked that out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I was having a similar conversation the other day. Pundits often speak in euphemistic ways, they rarely ever describe things for what they are, performances are usually “not the best” or it “wasn’t great” rather than just saying it was pathetic. Sutton is in the bottom 50% of pundits, he’s not a clever bloke but he doesn’t tow the party line with the other pundits. I agree he’s the pundit equivalent of Adrian Durham but I think I’d rather that than three nodding dogs that deal in the same tired cliches.

A big part of the problem with pundits is that so many of them have cushy ambassadorial gigs at their former clubs so if they start slagging them off they lose out on the gravy train. Solskjaer has been toss at United yet even Keane won’t stick the boot in, because he’s his mate. 

There’s never seemingly any sort of appraisal for pundits, they can say objectively untrue things and they’re never going to be booted off. Even the more inoffensive pundits are toss, Jermaine Jenas never seems to resist saying “av played with so and so at Totnum, ee’ stop drawer” and that’s about the most unique thing he can offer. Pundits rarely seem to read around the sport too, the “I’ve played the game” and therefore “know” it mentality is really pervasive which doesn’t offer you much, it’d be sacrilegious for some players if journalists appeared regularly on match of the day, even though they’re more likely to provide better insights. The European Football Show on BT was great because the journos told you things you genuinely didn’t know, like the f uck do I know about Cagliari? In English football we have pundits telling us how that screamer that we’ve just seen was “great technique” yep, thanks for that, couldn’t have worked that out. 

Couldn't agree more. It really does need someone to come out and tell it how it is. Most fans are not stupid and as you say, you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that it was a great bit of skill or a superb save etc. yet when they come out with some of the absurdities you have to wonder if they are watching the same game. I have nothing against them eulogising about a great bit of skill, but it would be refreshing if just for once they were not afraid to tell it like it is when a game is dire or a player has been rubbish. I think sometimes there is a little bit of the old players union at play and they wont criticise "one of their own".

Needs someone to upset the love-in too. when one of their "big" teams has a bad time, and struggled to scrape a draw they have ground it out, yet anyone else has been lucky to avoid defeat etc. It would be so much more refreshing to see some of the more journeymen type players, the ones who have been there and seen it all, commentating rather the constant stream of old boys who's only qualification seems to be that they once played for utd/lpool/arsenal etc.

• Like 1

I've been a big fan of journos as pundits since Revista with Balague and Hunter, they were incredibly well informed. 

I think you need a balance, I think you need some former experience in there, you need someone with some inside knowledge that can give you the real scoop but mostly, above all, you need some intelligence. 

What annoys me about Souness, Owen and Co is that they're just simply thick as ****. 

Owen Hargreaves is probably one of my favourites because he's a seriously bright bloke. I'd say probably the most improved pundit over the last decade for me is Rio, he's actually been very willing to be critical of United and really tries to be objective. He's another one that's actually pretty sharp, more than he used to let on in his career. 

Oh and I'll be accused of bias but actually Bellers is great, another one that really understands the game and doesn't care who he upsets. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3