Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

True.

Years ago our old academy manager once said about one of our teenagers that he could be the first ever £100m player.

His name is Zele Ismail. Heard of him? Nope didn't think so. He's currently playing for Bradford in League 2.

He's certainly no Layton Ndukwu.

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

Even if IFAB approve 5 subs, won't the Premier League clubs have to approve it? Surely all but the big 6 will be against it?

Not sure, I think all teams in Europe will vote it in. 

I could live with 5 subs, and I could see it coming in. But it should mean a greater opportunity for young players and not be an excuse to collect the finished article to distort the playing field. If they bring it in, they should include 3 young/youth players on the bench. The drinks break needs to be binned off, it’s 16 degrees at the moment not 40 🤣. Has to go at the end of the season

• Like 1

PL rule changes require a two-thirds vote.  (e.g. VAR)

It was widely reported in early June that the change to five subs (and nine on the bench) was voted in.

So at least 14 clubs were in favor.  I would hope that would not be the case if a vote came up to make that change permanent -- that would be too much of a change to competitive balance.  (I think it was a reasonable temporary measure to protect players going 2x/week so soon after lockdown). 

Now drinks breaks, I could see being made permanent.  Broadcasters' returns on football are lower than on most sports because of the lack of short TV commercial breaks.  Nobody sticks around to watch the ads during halftime.  90 seconds of ads per half would put more money in their pockets, some of which would get back to the clubs.  Follow the money ...

Edited by KingsX

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

True.

Years ago our old academy manager once said about one of our teenagers that he could be the first ever £100m player.

His name is Zele Ismail. Heard of him? Nope didn't think so. He's currently playing for Bradford in League 2.

Hmmm..:whistle:

Adrien Silva: Leicester City striker Islam Slimani wants to rejoin ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

True.

I signed this guy on fm for a league 1 side for pennies but with a ridiculous clause of millions after 50 games. 

I just stopped playing him after 49. Possibly my best move as a manager. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8502251/Arsenal-appeal-Eddie-Nketiahs-red-card-against-Leicester.html

Arsenal have launched an appeal following Eddie Nketiah’s red card against Leicester.

Nketiah was sent off just four minutes after coming off the bench for a mistimed challenge on Leicester defender James Justin.

Chris Kavanagh initially showed Nketiah a yellow card after he caught Justin on the knee as he stretched for the ball.

However Kavanagh upgraded the decision to a red after a lengthy VAR review and checking the incident again himself on the pitchside monitor.

Nketiah is facing a three-game ban which would leave Arsenal a striker down for their upcoming games against Tottenham, Liverpool and the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City.

But Arsenal are challenging Nketiah’s dismissal in the hope of getting the decision overturned on the grounds of wrongful dismissal or his ban reduced due to excessive punishment.

The FA have processes in place enabling them to fast-track appeals ensuring Arsenal will discover the result of their challenge before Sunday’s north London derby trip to Spurs. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8502251/Arsenal-appeal-Eddie-Nketiahs-red-card-against-Leicester.html

Arsenal have launched an appeal following Eddie Nketiah’s red card against Leicester.

Nketiah was sent off just four minutes after coming off the bench for a mistimed challenge on Leicester defender James Justin.

Chris Kavanagh initially showed Nketiah a yellow card after he caught Justin on the knee as he stretched for the ball.

However Kavanagh upgraded the decision to a red after a lengthy VAR review and checking the incident again himself on the pitchside monitor.

Nketiah is facing a three-game ban which would leave Arsenal a striker down for their upcoming games against Tottenham, Liverpool and the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City.

But Arsenal are challenging Nketiah’s dismissal in the hope of getting the decision overturned on the grounds of wrongful dismissal or his ban reduced due to excessive punishment.

The FA have processes in place enabling them to fast-track appeals ensuring Arsenal will discover the result of their challenge before Sunday’s north London derby trip to Spurs. 

Arsenal = the club that just keeps on giving 

Guest SO1
10 minutes ago, davieG said:

It was a straight red when I saw it in real time. When I saw the playback I was beside myself. Especially the time it took to ref.

Was ready to shut the TV off if it hadn't been ruled as what was plain for all to see. Beyond reckless and possibly career ending. He should be made an example of. Simple.

I'm all for physicality and controlled aggression in sport but when it turns into a defensive slug fest at the cost of finesse, skill, and beauty I'm out.

Its why I stopped following Basketball, Football and Hockey. There's enough outright violence in the world.

Guest SO1
1 hour ago, KingsX said:

PL rule changes require a two-thirds vote.  (e.g. VAR)

It was widely reported in early June that the change to five subs (and nine on the bench) was voted in.

So at least 14 clubs were in favor.  I would hope that would not be the case if a vote came up to make that change permanent -- that would be too much of a change to competitive balance.  (I think it was a reasonable temporary measure to protect players going 2x/week so soon after lockdown). 

Now drinks breaks, I could see being made permanent.  Broadcasters' returns on football are lower than on most sports because of the lack of short TV commercial breaks.  Nobody sticks around to watch the ads during halftime.  90 seconds of ads per half would put more money in their pockets, some of which would get back to the clubs.  Follow the money ...

They must be making money somehow. If you want to continue to Americanize the sport then I'm out. NBC can stick it up the you know where. Cable needs to die completely.

Pay per view is where its at. Sick of crap streams and lousy and inconsistent internet speeds. I should move to Viet Nam as they have better internet than the US.

Comcast/NBC is not the answer. They're just another set of greedy pigs at the trough. Sorry for the rant I've had to fight to watch matches. Only seen 2 and that was on replay since the break. This is the last sport I watch and follow. I'd even settle for the radio if I could get it consistently. Getting tired of the Battle every match.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

There no way a decision that has been given by VAR should be overturned. If the FA do overturn it then they are just admitting VAR is rubbish.

surely arsenal are just doing this in hope of getting the ban reduced.

16 minutes ago, SAFC1 said:

Credit to Bruce, 43 points after 33 games? If that was Rafa... :ph34r:

Rafa is overrated and never stopped complaining.

Bruce doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 1