Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

this has been the trend outside the 2016 miracle for years.

Arsenal won the league on 79 points in 1998  unheard of doing that now, Leeds in 92 another example.

The Big four or five getting 90 to 100 point plus to win the league is ridiculous but reflective of overall financial domination.

This is slowly but surley turning into the scottish prem.

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach

Man. City have proved yet again that they re nothing like as good as Liverpool so Rodgers should stop using them as a template for us. They have tremendous understanding and movement and the best striker in the league but if Plan A doesn't work they look unable to find anything else. Liverpool's success is built on rock solid defending, physical strength and ferocious counter attack . It works , we should use them as our model.

13 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Liverpool are going to have this wrapped up in February at this rate.

I have a spreadsheet for the Champions League :whistle: and on the basis of the long term average for the points for finishing fourth is 69-ish then it means that at best there are only three Champions League places up for grabs. :unsure:

16 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Man. City have proved yet again that they re nothing like as good as Liverpool so Rodgers should stop using them as a template for us. They have tremendous understanding and movement and the best striker in the league but if Plan A doesn't work they look unable to find anything else. Liverpool's success is built on rock solid defending, physical strength and ferocious counter attack . It works , we should use them as our model.

And having a good ol' chunk of luck 

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

And having a good ol' chunk of luck 

No team gets that lucky , they are seriously good.

12 hours ago, twister said:

Arsenal won the league on 79 points in 1998  unheard of doing that now, Leeds in 92 another example.

The Big four or five getting 90 to 100 point plus to win the league is ridiculous but reflective of overall financial domination.

Oi least we have a title race this season lol I know it's the first time in 9 years we've had one but still lol

I get your overall point though, the overall competitiveness in the league is dwindling, there is a gap forming between the top two and the rest.

Edited by henrik_62

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

It's the Bielsa thing, Pep has always modeled himself and his approach to the game on Bielsa as has Rodgers.  Rodgers has spoke a lot about the Bielsa influence on him in the past.

18 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The transfer window is starting to get tasty now with Bergwijn to Spurs and now Bruno Fernandes to Man U. Arsenal and Liverpool also made signings in the window.

A little bit of a surprise we haven't gone for anyone yet, though I think we all expect a CB of some kind to come in. We were also linked with Bergwijn before Spurs stole a match on us. Hopefully we beat Chelsea on Saturday and we don't really have to care about who anyone else has signed as we shore up the Champions League spot for ourselves.

That's the transfer I honestly didn't want to happen. If he hits the ground running, ManU could have a strong second half of season. No matter of crap OGS is, he didn't lose the dressing room, the players like him and Fernandes could well be the missing link. They still have a threadbare squad and in dire need of a striker, but I wouldn't write them off the top 4 race yet. We'll see if Arteta can turn it around for Arsenal but I don't have high hopes for Spurs this season. 

The PL winner is pretty much known and the only question is can they stay unbeaten the whole season. MCFC are comfortable second, too much quality despite their dip in form, and have now Laporte back whom they missed badly. Sané is coming back too. Behind them everything's still open and I seriously hope we get our shit together and grab the maximum of points in the coming matches, because I can't see the usual suspects for the top 6 race being as bad as in the first half of the season. 

Therefore Chelsea is a must win.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Liverpool's approach is interesting because whilst they are a technically worse team than Man City, they are more efficient and consistent. It's also proven to be more effective in Europe too. So you are right in the sense that whilst Man City (and even Leicester to a certain extent) play nicer football than Liverpool, their approach has been more effective.

All that said, I am a huge fan of the way we play! Some of the team goals we've scored this season have been outstanding, e.g. Vardy against Arsenal with the Barnes flick and Ricardo and Tielemans passes. I would happily see us play like that as "The Leicester City Way" with no problems whatsoever. 

It should be noted though that Man City lost Sane and Laporte for large periods of the season. Had Liverpool lost Salah and Van Dijk for the same amount of time, they would have struggled too. Man City definitely dropped back a bit this season, but their are some extenuating circumstances behind it IMO. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Liverpool's approach is interesting because whilst they are a technically worse team than Man City, they are more efficient and consistent. It's also proven to be more effective in Europe too. So you are right in the sense that whilst Man City (and even Leicester to a certain extent) play nicer football than Liverpool, their approach has been more effective.

All that said, I am a huge fan of the way we play! Some of the team goals we've scored this season have been outstanding, e.g. Vardy against Arsenal with the Barnes flick and Ricardo and Tielemans passes. I would happily see us play like that as "The Leicester City Way" with no problems whatsoever. 

It should be noted though that Man City lost Sane and Laporte for large periods of the season. Had Liverpool lost Salah and Van Dijk for the same amount of time, they would have struggled too. Man City definitely dropped back a bit this season, but their are some extenuating circumstances behind it IMO. 

Which ever system you adopt you need the correct players and back up players to put it into practice successfully.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twister said:

I don't really agree with this. Yes, Liverpool and Man City are currently on a level above everyone else, but I don't believe they will dominate the league for the rest of time. Klopp and Pep are two exceptional managers, who have had time to build their teams. They'll move on at some point, and other clubs will improve.

Financially, the playing field has been levelling out. Every club in the PL has plenty of income, and it's more difficult for the big clubs to help themselves to whoever they want from divisional rivals now. I think we might see some effects of this come into fruition over the next few years.

15 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

It’s literally the most boring title race ever

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

36pts ahead of 5th with 14 games left is crazy and yes very very dull.

Only the other year Man City got 100 points, finishing 19 points ahead of 2nd. That was as boring.

But when a team is as good as Man City were then, and Liverpool are now, you just gotta accept it I guess. I don't believe in luck but a team that constantly wins every week aren't "lucky", in fact it's probably the opposite.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

Thats not the case southampton are likley due to lose three of their best players Soares (Arsenal),Holberg (Spurs) and Redmond to the big four by the end of this window, or summer according to news stories.

Its never going to change half of liverpools team is southamptons scouting work. City took evertons best centre back in stones at the time, then bought leicester best winger Mahrez and dont even play him every week.

They can offer huge wages and take their players then stick them on the bench and use them when they need to win.

Edited by twister

the thing annoying me most about liverpool is that most their fans don’t seem to be as happy as they should be. they’re pissing me right off not gonna lie. 

theres fu cking millions of them all over social media, my group chats, my office etc. who are more upset about the fact fans of other teams are saying “they’re lucky” or “the league is rubbish” than they are buzzing that theyve got a 6 month coronation. 

stop crying about the fact the media seem to be making excuses for pep, or about the fact nobody likes liverpool or is giving them the respect they probably deserve. 

fu cking revel in it. the bitterness and excuses of everyone else really made our title win even more special as far as i’m concerned. 

• Like 2