Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

https://www.claretandhugh.info/brady-earnings-well-in-excess-of-foxes-ceo/

Brady earnings well in excess of Foxes CEO

Posted by Hugh5outhon1895 on February 3, 2020 in News, Whispers

Brady-2-300x258.png

West Ham’s highest paid director – with Karren Brady, although unnamed believed to be that person – receives a mind boggling £1.136 million a year from the club putting her among the very top earners in the game.

She also received additional bonuses for overseeing the stadium move and is of course involved in other projects including her controversial column in the Sun newspaper.

It’s an extraordinary figure in any terms and appears more than extravagant when compared to figures published in the Guardian in May of last year which shows the earnings of those in a similar position. At the time she was reported to be on £836k a year.

It puts her way ahead of many in the same position including highly successful Leicester City Chief Executive Officer Susan Whelan who – at the time of publication – was on £308,000.

whelan-300x169.jpg

Susan Whelan

Among other top PL club earners were  Chelsea – £244,000, Everton £927,000, Newcastle 300,000, Southampton, 636.000, Spurs £3 million paid to Daniel Levy, Watford £631,000.

The full list as published in 2019 can be found at

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city.

Ownership Owned by the family of the late Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha via his Thai company, King Power International Ltd.

Premier League TV rights £124m

Sponsorship and advertising £14m

Gate receipts £13m

Commercial and other income £8m

Net debt Not stated – £10m owed to owners, minimal bank debt.

Net interest £3m

Highest-paid director Unnamed, £308,000 (Susan Whelan is the chief executive).

State they’re in Accounts are from the financial year before the tragic death of the owner Srivaddhanaprabha. Standout figure was the drop in TV income after the £70m received from Uefa for the 2016-17 Champions League run after they won the Premier League. A King Power company charges the club a management fee: £3.4m was paid.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I take you point about the Everton game, but we played pretty well at home and away against West Ham!

As for Newcastle away being a easy game, they are 7th in the home league table and have only lost 3 games at home and have a better home record then Chelsea and Wolves! 

Would you prefer good performance and poor results, in my book if you can play poorly and still get results, that's a sign of a good side..... 

I just cannot get my head around this. They're absolute garbage lol 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/who-make-premier-league-top-21421315

Who will make Premier League top four? Football writers debate who is best equipped
Leicester, Chelsea, Tottenham, Sheffield United, Manchester United, Wolves and Everton all remain in the race to snap up a place in next season's Champions League

ByAaron Flanagan
13:55, 3 FEB 2020UPDATED15:07, 3 FEB 2020

In theory, the race for the top four in the Premier League is currently involving nine teams.

Liverpool and Manchester City have all but wrapped up their places with the elite - and it's likely Leicester will join them too, even after a recent wobble.

But the fourth spot is anyone's for the taking. Leicester, Chelsea, Tottenham, Sheffield United, Manchester United, Wolves and Everton all remain in the race to snap up a place in next season's Champions League.

But who is going to make the top four?

We posed the question to some of Starsport's writers - and there is an overwhelming favourite to secure that fourth place berth...

Jeremy Cross
Liverpool
Leicester
Man City
Tottenham
The top one is done and dusted, leaving the also rans to scrap it out for respect and a Champions League place.

Despite a recent blip, Leicester remain a free scoring and fast-flowing side capable of finishing second ahead of Manchester City, who appear to be harbouring problems we don't know about yet.

Something is not right at City, but they still have more than enough quality to finish third.

Chelsea appear to be going backwards and don't have the strength in depth to maintain fourth, meaning a gradually improving Tottenham will pip them to it.

Goals from Steven Bergwijn and Heung-Min Son of Tottenham Hotspur handed them all three points

Paul Brown
Liverpool
Man City
Leicester
Chelsea
Six defeats for City this season. How the mighty have fallen. City’s title defence has been appallingly bad. Where is the intensity? The fight? 

Pep Guardiola’s arrogance in thinking he could get by without buying a centre back hasn’t helped, but really, it’s humiliating to be this far behind Liverpool.

They will finish second because their squad is still far stronger than anyone else’s, so a deep Champions League run shouldn’t hurt. But second isn’t good enough for City.

Leicester should be good enough for third. They are better than anyone in the chasing pack and shown some backbone after a recent wobble.

The points are in the bag and it would take an almighty collapse for them to drop out of the Champions League places. It’s not going to happen.

Yes, Chelsea is a young team but they have a four-point gap and should be good enough to hold on despite failing to buy a striker.

Is anyone else good enough to catch them? Tottenham look capable but they will struggle to win close games without Harry Kane.

Sheffield United can grind out results but do they win enough games? Probably not. And Manchester United just look too far away.

Ian Murtagh
Liverpool
Man City
Leicester
Tottenham
OK, outside of Manchester and North and West London, we'd all love Sheffield United to nick fourth spot but sadly, it's not going to happen.

Consistency has been the key to achieving a top four finish most years but not this time around with Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United all having already lost eight games.

I'm taking Spurs to nick fourth spot ahead of Chelsea. Harry Kane's absence at one end of the pitch can be offset by the return of Hugo Lloris at the other. ends

Warren Muggleton
Liverpool
Man City
Leicester
Wolves
Liverpool and Manchester City’s places are in the bag this season, so it’s a battle for third and fourth. 

A bit rogue, but Chelsea and Manchester United face blocks of fixtures against top seven teams which - combined with potential European campaigns – could derail them. 

While Leicester and Wolves face cup tournaments, their more generous run of home games could be the vital difference in the last third of the season.

Rhys Daly
Liverpool
Man City
Leicester
Tottenham
Brendan Rodgers’ Foxes have surprised nearly everyone by forging a 12-point gap over fifth place with only 13 fixtures remaining.

Although the form of Jamie Vardy might be a worry, Leicester will have enough to secure a return to the Champions League after their impressive run to the quarter-finals back in 2016/17.

James Maddison and his team-mates should keep themselves above the pending battle between Manchester United, Chelsea, Tottenham and maybe even Sheffield United - which will be a fine reward for a magnificent season.

With Jose Mourinho’s masterclass coming off in perfect fashion against Manchester City, I’m backing Spurs to catch and surpass Frank Lampard’s Chelsea.

Joshua Peck
Liverpool
Man City
Leicester
Tottenham
The top two picks itself, even with a poor City result at Tottenham on Sunday.

But that performance shows that Spurs can force their way ahead of Chelsea. It was a Jose Mourinho masterclass, helped by poor City finishing, and the Portuguese boss should be able to build on that in the second half of the season.

Leicester have a big enough lead in third to not worry about the teams behind them. What a season it has been for the Foxes again.

Archie Griggs
Liverpool
Man City
Leicester
Tottenham
Obviously Liverpool are storming to the title and Manchester City look set for second place in the Premier League this year.

Leicester are still looking strong and having kept the likes of James Maddison past January they should seal their place in next year's Champions League, while Spurs will improve with the addition of Bergwijn and will be hoping to snatch fourth.

However, Chelsea under Frank Lampard have been far from perfect this season and they could be the ones to miss out on a top-four finish.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I just cannot get my head around this. They're absolute garbage lol 

True, but they have beaten Spurs, Chelsea, Sheff U, Man U and draw with Wolves twice.

The only teams in the top 7 they haven't taken points off is us and Liverpool! 

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I take you point about the Everton game, but we played pretty well at home and away against West Ham!

As for Newcastle away being a easy game, they are 7th in the home league table and have only lost 3 games at home and have a better home record then Chelsea and Wolves! 

Would you prefer good performance and poor results, in my book if you can play poorly and still get results, that's a sign of a good side..... 

newcastle got 4 injuries in about 10 minutes and played half the game with 10 men. we weren't even trying for most of it, they were that bad. 

no, i agreed that we will be just fine. i just tried to argue for the middle ground (silly on here, i know). i wasn't on the side of "we've played badly a few times, i can't see us getting another point all season", but i also wasn't on the side of "it doesn't matter how badly we play I LOVE LEICESTER WE'RE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE". 

i think performances are currently leaving a lot to be desired, although with west ham and chelsea in the last few maybe we've started to click again, but we are still picking up points so it's ok. 

• Like 2

I think it's often underestimated what a toll the job of a Premier league manager can take on new, inexperience former players.

Although the effect is quite subtle, a close examination of the pictures below illustrates my point I feel.

Polish_20200203_183320041.jpg

1580754925518.jpg

Edited by Realjimbo
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Realjimbo said:

I think it's often underestimated what a toll the job of a Premier league manager can take on new, inexperience former players.

Although the effect is quite subtle, a close examination of the pictures below illustrates my point I feel.

Polish_20200203_183320041.jpg

1580754925518.jpg

You often see previously well-rounded, intelligent and normal blokes struggle with the intensity and pressure of being a PL manager and end up saying or doing very odd things that are out of character. Ole, Pearson, Pardew, Bruce, Van Gaal all guilty of this. 

*insert ironic joke about Pardew being intelligent and well-rounded* 

6 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

You often see previously well-rounded, intelligent and normal blokes struggle with the intensity and pressure of being a PL manager and end up saying or doing very odd things that are out of character. Ole, Pearson, Pardew, Bruce, Van Gaal all guilty of this. 

*insert ironic joke about Pardew being intelligent and well-rounded* 

Looks like he's morphing into David Moyes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Top two, not top four! 

From the article:

'We need to be careful because from now until the end of the season, we could lose more points and, subsequently, our [second] place in the table.

'We could even finish outside the Champions League places. I hope next week we get a positive reaction from our fans at home because it is more than needed.

• Like 1

Shout out to West Ham.

I cannot see how they survive without some shock results

image.png.193a195c73e4cb44d04ac2bfad6b0e4e.png

Its not until you get to April 11th when it seem likely on current form to get points.

#whataboutarsenalaway

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Shout out to West Ham.

I cannot see how they survive without some shock results

image.png.193a195c73e4cb44d04ac2bfad6b0e4e.png

Its not until you get to April 11th when it seem likely on current form to get points.

#whataboutarsenalaway

Wonder what the odds are on them not getting another point this season are,

they look gone looking at those fixtures.

But for us, here’s hoping they pull off their own great escape and win every game in feb and march

• Like 1

I'm genuinely surprised CEOs of clubs get paid that little. I kinda imagined guys like Levy would get paid millions a year. 

I guess it's possible bonuses and perks (properties, cars, maybe suits and restaurant bills etc?) all chucked in top it up but still. 

I'd have assumed Wheelan made more than that honestly. 

There are VCs at universities earning more than a lot of those guys. 

Edited by Finnegan

In the 1950s, a typical CEO made 20 times the salary of his or her average worker. Last year, CEO pay at an S&P 500 Index firm soared to an average of 361 times more than the average rank-and-file worker, or pay of $13,940,000 a year, according to an AFL-CIO's Executive Paywatch news release today.

[quote/]

So Whelan would have earned about £50-£100m a year in the 1950s and about £1.5 billion a year now...  lol

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm genuinely surprised CEOs of clubs get paid that little. I kinda imagined guys like Levy would get paid millions a year. 

I guess it's possible bonuses and perks (properties, cars, maybe suits and restaurant bills etc?) all chucked in top it up but still. 

I'd have assumed Wheelan made more than that honestly. 

There are VCs at universities earning more than a lot of those guys. 

He does ....£3m according to that article (I think it’s probably more but he does own 25% of the club too)

SW won’t just be working for LCFC ... she has complex personal arrangements 

Edited by st albans fox

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

He does ....£3m according to that article (I think it’s probably more but he does own 25% of the club too)

SW won’t just be working for LCFC ... she has complex personal arrangements 

Moron, sorry, you're absolutely right, I managed to read that as Levy taking the 636.