Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Yes and no. We will need to up our level from is current one to get anything form those matches. Can we? yes. Will we? Not so sure. We are in a great spot but we've a lot of work to do still and any points dropped by those outsode the top 4 is a good thing for us, conversely wins, especially in matches they could/should lose are the opposite.

Over the last 6 games we are fourth in the form league. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Nobody currently 5th or below is going to get more than 65 points and it’s probably only 60/40 that Chelsea get there. Spurs were poor for most of the game today and burgled that win, they might go on a run but the idea of them getting more than 28 points from their last 13 games is fanciful.

As long as we produce the same pretty rubbish form we’ve been in for the last 2 months we should still have enough to get to 65. If we throw it away we’ll only have ourselves to blame.

Looking at our form and fixtures, think we will do well to get to 65 points. 60-63 looks possible with more points only if our home form picks up. 

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Looking at our form and fixtures, think we will do well to get to 65 points. 60-63 looks possible with more points only if our home form picks up. 

Are you serious? We have 49pts now and you’re predicting possibly 60pts? That’s relegation form getting 11pts from our final 13 games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Are you serious? We have 49pts now and you’re predicting possibly 60pts? That’s relegation form getting 11pts from our final 13 games.

It’s depressing on here sometimes ..... one poor performance in the league v soton (ignoring the pool and Man City games) and first half home to villa in the cup. And suddenly we are relegation favourites ......bipolar doesn’t cover it (and apologies to anyone who actually suffers from that condition). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Lol how he quickly puts his water down and goes stomping off to complain.

He may be a world famous multi millionaire but that is the town drunk getting angry at the tv in the pub.

And he worked with Sir Bobby for all that time, none of the true gent he was rubbed off on Jose.

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s depressing on here sometimes ..... one poor performance in the league v soton (ignoring the pool and Man City games) and first half home to villa in the cup. And suddenly we are relegation favourites ......bipolar doesn’t cover it (and apologies to anyone who actually suffers from that condition). 

I can see what you're saying and I don't for one minute agree with what FoxFossil is predicting.

However it's been more than one poor performance in the league v Southampton and first half at home to Villa in the cup hasn't it?

Be honest, alot of our games and results since Everton at home in the league has been very disappointing, underwhelming, frustrating and concerning, warning signs have been there.

As I said earlier the fact some are worrying now make me laugh and there is a still a comfortable gap but it shows how blinkered some have been to not see the chasing pack coming.

What's funny is all this panic and concern comes after one of better performances and results in our 'big' games this season of which have been lacking.

Someone used the word naive and that's bang on.

The mid season break has come at a good time and I hope that after it there are no excuses, it's time to kick on.

Edited by Matt

Perspective. Only 7 points separates 5th - 14th. Each will all be jostling hard for position and all are well capable of beating each other on any given day. Also, lots of potential for draws. We are 12 points clear of Spurs with a far superior goal difference and we are an excellent team. It is hard to imagine that we won't win 6 or 7 games from our remaining fixtures. That would require 11 wins from 13 for one of Spurs, Man U, Wolves etc. None have shown the slightest indication that they are capable of that level of consistency. We also have a substantial lead on Chelsea who are equally inconsistent. Rodgers will make sure that the players focus on maximizing performance levels and taking each game as it comes, rather than getting distracted by the results of those around us. As fans, we must try to do the same as we don't want to communicate our nervousness to the players from the terraces.

Edited by SixtiesFox

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can see what you're saying and I don't for one minute agree with what FoxFossil is predicting.

However it's been more than one poor performance in the league v Southampton and first half at home to Villa in the cup hasn't it?

Be honest, alot of our games and results since Everton at home in the league has been very disappointing, underwhelming, frustrating and concerning, warning signs have been there

As I said earlier the fact people are worrying now to me make me laugh and shows how blinkered some have been to not see it all coming. What's funny is all this panic and concern comes after one of better performances and results in our 'big' games this season of which has been lacking.

The mid season break has come at a good time and I hope that after it there are no excuses, it's time to kick on.

Our form has indeed dropped off a bit Matt but if you look more closely at the last seven weeks, aside form the top two games and soton, we have tended to concede more goals than we should (and were earlier in the season when the opposition were wasteful) and to compound that, been wasteful ourselves compared to that period. The pendulum of luck will swing back again as it always does .....if we hadn’t performed in our last two league games then I would agree with you but the fact is that we have. we will ace a fit vardy and ndidi when we come back in two weeks ......chill ........

Guest An Sionnach

I think Rodgers has learnt a few important lessons in the last few weeks and I would expect him to concentrate on tightening things up . We have shipped too many soft goals. Get back to our early defensive form and we will qualify easily.

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Funnily enough, when the records are written, they often include ‘runners up’ - nowhere will it say ‘by forty points’ so I’m up for it !

We were runners up in 1928, it meant nothing then, it means even less now.  Yes I would like us to finish as high as possible, but right at this moment, I would sooner man city be taking points off of teams who could be a threat to ourselves if things go pear shaped in the coming weeks. If we were currently 2 points off of Liverpool at the top, and they had beaten Liverpool today  it would be different. 

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

Be honest, alot of our games and results since Everton at home in the league has been very disappointing, underwhelming, frustrating and concerning, warning signs have been there.

As I said earlier the fact some are worrying now make me laugh and there is a still a comfortable gap but it shows how blinkered some have been to not see the chasing pack coming.

What's funny is all this panic and concern comes after one of better performances and results in our 'big' games this season of which have been lacking.

The chasing pack haven't been coming though, I think at 1 point we were 15 clear and in the last 8/9 games where we've picked up only 11 points the chasing pack have made a dent by a massive 3 points. 

We will get 65-69 points I'd have thought if we carry on being inconsistent which will be enough but if we improve again then we will be 2nd or 3rd and have a lead to 5th by the end of 15-20 points. Chelsea are the ones who will be worried.

55 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Are you seriously comparing spurs this season with yanited from that ??

anyway, if they go on a good run then it makes even sweeter when they bottle it - remember I’m surrounded by them down here !! 

Are you comparing our dominance to that Newcastle side of 95/96?

I'm just making the point that 12pt leads with 13 games to go can be easily caught. Anyone who thought Tottenham winning today was a good result for us is a fool. 

42 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

We will probably end up with another 3/4 points this month, next month we should pick up 7 points. That's 10 more points with 7 games left after that, a few winnable ones. We should easily reach 65 points. Form is not superb but good enough to stumble over the line. That's if we don't start another run after this 2 week break

54 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

18 shots vs 3 

5 on target compared to 3 

Spurs only came into the game after Man City were down to 10 men. 

They didn't just concede chances to Man City, the entire first half was basically an attacking scenario training session. 

Man City weren't clinical enough, gave away stupid fouls and lost due to themselves rather than any Jose masterclass.

Never said that spurs were the better team but tactically they were spot on. They were never going to outplay Man City and their best chance was to hang in there and get a bit of luck on the counter. They stayed narrow and played on the counter. 

The bit that I thought was clever from Mourinho was that despite his team playing very deep, he had two great outlets in Son and Lucas who are frighteningly quick standing almost as wingers, with Man City leaving two back in their attacks. It allowed Son and Lucas to be 2 vs 2 in many situations and with their pace you'd back them against Otamendi and Fernandinho. Playing them as wide forwards allowed them to run at the City backline and cause havoc. The attack for the first spurs goal was from a Man City corner where Winks broke through and was in a 2 vs 1 situation. 

Say what you want about Jose as a manager but he knows his team isnt the same level as Man City or Liverpool and he adjusts the tactics accordingly. Rodgers will get no criticism from me, but if he was more pragmatic in the games over Christmas against Man City and Liverpool like Jose then maybe our results could have been more different. I'm not saying I want him as our manager because he seems to be a terrible man manager but tactically he still is one of the best. 

Edited by shailen
Na

Just now, twister said:

Jose was lucky forget this genius rubbish

18 shots to 3 and three open goals missed is not brilliant managment

they were awful and city missed a hateful

Create your own luck. If the opposition miss chances then that's their issue.

Football isn't won on stats. I get fed up of seeing "but they had 20 shots to their 2". So what. Proves nothing except the team with less shots are more clinical.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Create your own luck. If the opposition miss chances then that's their issue.

Football isn't won on stats. I get fed up of seeing "but they had 20 shots to their 2". So what. Proves nothing except the team with less shots are more clinical.

Surely it shows more than that, like the team with more shots have been more creative? Or potentially the team which have conceded the most shots have been defensively poor. 

I appreciate stats don’t win a game and can sometimes not paint the full picture.

Thought until the goal Spurs were quite poor, but fair play they got the result.

• Like 1