Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But doesn't this make for a potentially unsettled squad just after the start of the season as well, but just because they move to a foreign club makes it more okay? 

I think it takes out the big boys trying to disrupt players from a lower rated team but thinking about it it wouldn’t work. It’ll effect the domino effect should a foreign club want to sign a PL player but selling club won’t sell unless they can sign their own PL target.

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But doesn't this make for a potentially unsettled squad just after the start of the season as well, but just because they move to a foreign club makes it more okay? 

Moves to foreign clubs from the prem are more predictable and much less numerous - you can tell your squad that you wont sanction any transfers after the start of the season but if a Liverpool, man city or yanited come calling with the opportunity or huge cheque book then its not easy to avoid a problem. last august, how many players were sold to European clubs against the wishes of the parent club ?  i just think this panders to the biggest clubs (and we aren't one of those although if we make CL it will probably be a little easier for us this particular window)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

So the PL go back on the window date but not VAR. I think there’s nefarious reasons for it rather than just solely incompetence.

Can't stop VAR in the middle of the season. Would be grossly unfair. I'd expect changes and clarifications for next season though. 

Just now, StanSP said:

Can't stop VAR in the middle of the season. Would be grossly unfair. I'd expect changes and clarifications for next season though. 

I never said they should stop it mid season (I wish they would). They’re not going to scrap it, instead we’ll get a slightly watered down version that they’ll deem a success 

42 minutes ago, Stadt said:

So the PL go back on the window date but not VAR. I think there’s nefarious reasons for it rather than just solely incompetence.

Conspiracy theory hat on, I've genuinely considered this season for the first time ever in my life that Premier League football probably is corrupt. There's just too much money it for it to not be corrupt. 

I genuinely think its possible they're doing their very best to make VAR as awful as possible so everyone's happy to get rid of it, nobody calls for it to come back for a few years and they can go back to having the big teams get ridiculous offsides go their way or whatever else. 

The narrative is pushed SO HARD by these multi million / billion pound media companies and all their pundits and journalists CONSTANTLY attacking VAR to undermine it and swing public interest against it. It has had zero chance since day one, even when it gets stuff right the media whip up a frenzy about how there was some controversy or other. 

People complaining about VAR when what actually upsets them is the offside law or the new handball law and its all being pushed as VAR's fault.

In an age of Cambridge Analytica and Russian election interference and capitalist moguls like Murdoch it all pushing their rampant right wing political agenda in the world's biggest news outlets, I find it hard to believe that the billionaire owners of the world's biggest sports clubs aren't chucking money around somewhere behind the scenes to get their own way. 

Then I look at the absolute shit house state of Manchester United and Arsenal and I realise I'm probably being paranoid or they wouldn't be that ****ing awful. But still. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Conspiracy theory hat on, I've genuinely considered this season for the first time ever in my life that Premier League football probably is corrupt. There's just too much money it for it to not be corrupt. 

I genuinely think its possible they're doing their very best to make VAR as awful as possible so everyone's happy to get rid of it, nobody calls for it to come back for a few years and they can go back to having the big teams get ridiculous offsides go their way or whatever else. 

The narrative is pushed SO HARD by these multi million / billion pound media companies and all their pundits and journalists CONSTANTLY attacking VAR to undermine it and swing public interest against it. It has had zero chance since day one, even when it gets stuff right the media whip up a frenzy about how there was some controversy or other. 

People complaining about VAR when what actually upsets them is the offside law or the new handball law and its all being pushed as VAR's fault.

In an age of Cambridge Analytica and Russian election interference and capitalist moguls like Murdoch it all pushing their rampant right wing political agenda in the world's biggest news outlets, I find it hard to believe that the billionaire owners of the world's biggest sports clubs aren't chucking money around somewhere behind the scenes to get their own way. 

Then I look at the absolute shit house state of Manchester United and Arsenal and I realise I'm probably being paranoid or they wouldn't be that ****ing awful. But still. 

Completely in agreement that PL football must be corrupt to a certain extent, probably far more than we expect.

Two things though. I actually felt that most media outlets were weirdly supportive and pro VAR at the start of the season. Was it BBC who even released a video with Shearer saying how he'd been down to Stockley Park and it's great and we all need to give it a chance? I feel it's only recently that commentators are starting to consistently talk about how awful it is.

Then for the ability to give the big teams the obvious offsides. I think VAR opens us up to further corruption. I would imagine it's a much easier job to coax a ref miles away from a game to make game changing decisions than it is a ref/linesman who's in the middle of it all on the pitch. We've seen VAR get it wrong numerous times and every time a 'big' decision goes to VAR and I can never help think that they can just give it which way they want essentially, whether to make the game more interesting or to benefit a particular team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

The window date was inevitable after no one else in Europe followed it.

I'd prefer all business done before July 31st Europe wide so most clubs start pre season with their squads, and certainly start League campaigns with squads set in stone. But once premier league clubs tried and the rest didn't follow there was no way they were gonna stick to there guns.

The less said about VAR the better.

• Like 1

Agree with both @BrummieFOX and @Finnegan

VAR is another layer of influence, and the assumed belief that influence is for the benefit of the game as a whole (As I foolish assumed), is starting too look a little naive.

It almost allows decisions to be made without consequence, the opposite of the hoped outcome.

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

As a ‘smaller club’ (yes I know we should be CL etc etc) this change is potentially a problem for us

the yaniteds, Chelsea’s etc will continue to chase our best players right until the deadline .......this potentially makes for an unsettled squad and start to the season ....

I would prefer a change whereby moves between premier league clubs aren’t allowed beyond 8th aug but international moves in are - until end aug 

We should apply the "cup tied" rules. ie any player who has featured in the PL cannot then play in the competition until the next window. This would still allow transfers to and from foreign clubs but prevent rivals, if not from stealing players from their competition but at least stopping them playing, once the league has started. Not sure many players would be up for that either.

Closing the window before the season kicks off was the sensible thing to do as there was much complaining from clubs about not being able to prepare properly etc when there was uncertainty over some players. It seems that this is no longer an issue, probably pushed through by the money bags clubs whom it is most likely to benefit.

The big problem for me is that when, like this season a couple of "big" teams have dodgy starts (or get an major injury) they can still raid other clubs that maybe have had a better start.

LCFC SHU or wolves etc, have a great start to the season, picking up a full 12 points over the first four games, so MUFC or some such unsettle then steal their best player derailing a potential serious challenge after only one month of the season. Total rubbish. If clubs cannot do their transfer business before the deadline then tough luck. but I suppose they see it as an opportunity to continue the war of attrition and turning a player even when the targets current club have said no deal. Gives players the chance to demonstrate downing tools etc too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

We should apply the "cup tied" rules. ie any player who has featured in the PL cannot then play in the competition until the next window. This would still allow transfers to and from foreign clubs but prevent rivals, if not from stealing players from their competition but at least stopping them playing, once the league has started. Not sure many players would be up for that either.

Closing the window before the season kicks off was the sensible thing to do as there was much complaining from clubs about not being able to prepare properly etc when there was uncertainty over some players. It seems that this is no longer an issue, probably pushed through by the money bags clubs whom it is most likely to benefit.

The big problem for me is that when, like this season a couple of "big" teams have dodgy starts (or get an major injury) they can still raid other clubs that maybe have had a better start.

LCFC SHU or wolves etc, have a great start to the season, picking up a full 12 points over the first four games, so MUFC or some such unsettle then steal their best player derailing a potential serious challenge after only one month of the season. Total rubbish. If clubs cannot do their transfer business before the deadline then tough luck. but I suppose they see it as an opportunity to continue the war of attrition and turning a player even when the targets current club have said no deal. Gives players the chance to demonstrate downing tools etc too.

I like the idea, but it’s another Bosman scenario in waiting. Anything that limits free movement will be challenged in the courts. :nono:

Lets see if our club & players,who are Happy to stay,can Stand up & be counted& see themselves with a new ambitious club  into the CL  !!!

If Not life goes on..No use Running  scared...We can also upset,young potential stars clubs.!!!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-seals-new-mega-21450112

Premier League seals new mega money TV deal as overseas rights rise further
Premier League clubs are set for another huge windfall after a landmark TV deal was agreed for mega money with the Nordic Entertainment Group

ByRich JonesSports writer
12:03, 7 FEB 2020UPDATED12:05, 7 FEB 2020
SPORT

The Premier League has secured a new big-money TV deal with the Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT Group) as their overseas rights continue to rise.

They have penned a six-year deal with the leading streaming company in the Nordic region, offering exclusive coverage of the English top flight to four countries in the region.

Games will be screened on their Viaplay service, adding Norway to their existing portfolio of Denmark, Sweden and Finland, with the deal starting in 2022.

The six-year deal is reported to be worth more than £2billion over the six year period, which would represent a quarter of all overseas TV revenue in a move which adds to the lucrative riches on offer in the top flight.

The news comes after the Premier League solid rights for its games from 2019 to 2022 for £4.464billion in the UK before Amazon Prime Video snapped up a further package.

The Premier League is reportedly on course to break the £9billion mark for broadcast revenue from its next three-year TV deal once overseas deals are finalised with a 20%-30% increase in value expected.

Richard Masters, Premier League Chief Executive: “We have a proud and historic relationship with fans in the Nordic region and are delighted that Nordic Entertainment Group has invested in the rights to broadcast the Premier League once again.

"Through their high-quality coverage and cutting-edge technology, we are confident that over the six seasons of this deal they will make the very best Premier League content available to our passionate fans across the region.”

Anders Jensen, NENT Group President and CEO: “I am thrilled with this new and extended agreement that once again confirms NENT Group’s leadership in the Nordic markets. Premier League football is a cornerstone of our sports offering, and the addition of Norway to our existing rights for Sweden, Denmark and Finland gives us a great foundation for the further development of this fantastic sports property.

"We have a proven track record of delivering world-class coverage of the Premier League to the large and dedicated fan base in the Nordics. Our sports teams are ready to take this to the next level in the many years to come.”

“We already broadcast and stream a wide range of sports events but this is a major milestone in the history of our sports coverage.

"The fact that the Premier League has again chosen us as a long-term strategic partner makes us very proud. With exclusive rights for four Nordic markets running until 2028, NENT Group is stronger than ever, and we are determined to build on this position even further and bring sports fans across the region even more and better coverage of this exciting championship.”

22 hours ago, urban fox said:

20 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I like the idea, but it’s another Bosman scenario in waiting. Anything that limits free movement will be challenged in the courts. :nono:

Plus players will be faking injuries and refusing to play until they get their moves. Its a great idea in principle though

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Interesting quote from Dan Ashworth, Brighton’s Technical Director, outlining the pecking order and how BHA are trying to establish themselves in it.  He sees a big six; then a small, elite next tier, with LCFC first-mentioned; then a yo-yo league of 20 including the rest of the PL plus the big Championship clubs.  Clubs that can go up or down in any given year, but can aim for the lower top half of the PL if managed very well.

“To establish ourselves on a regular basis in the top 10 is difficult but not impossible,” Ashworth says. “You’ve got the traditional top six. It’s going to be very difficult to break their cycle. Then, you have got a few clubs that are really well-resourced and set up — Leicester, Everton, Wolves — and then, that next 11; any can go down and any can be ninth or 10th. It really is that tight. You have also got big clubs like Leeds, Forest, West Brom in the top eight or nine in the Championship; and Derby.

“So you’ve almost got those 20 clubs that are vying for trying to get into the top half of the Premier League, trying to get out of the Championship, trying to stay out of the Championship, and there’s not much in finances or size of club between all of those. We’ve got to try to get right to the top of that league by making good decisions, good coaching, good recruitment, good development, looking after our players when they are here from the medical and sports science view.”*

This is the view of a Premier League (and ex-FA) DoF surveying his competition -- not some talking head or Twitter pundit.  In resources, squad and infrastructure -- and, importantly, perception -- we are no longer a yo-yo club.**  We are expected to be found in the top half, and making the CL will not be seen as a shock.

* https://theathletic.com/1585669/2020/02/06/dan-ashworth-brighton-premier-league/

** two or three bad windows from trouble is much better than just one!

Yeah I've often thought this with the 20 broad 'yo yo' clubs being a mix of traditionally big clubs (Villa, Newcastle) to the smaller ones (Brighton, Bournemouth) to the decent size clubs (West Brom, Norwich, Forest, Stoke).

• Like 1