Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

49 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Yeah this will be huge. We forget that usually we have friendlies to get sharp. 

Naturally fit players are going to thrive. I wouldn’t be surprised if Albrighton was our best player for the first few weeks. It seems like he is alway one of the sharp ones in the early pre-season games. 

Theres definitely going to be a few players that are going to be miles off it for a few games. 

I also think that we might see a worse Vardy. Really hope I’m wrong but he seems like a player that thrives off the crowd. Without that kicking him on we might not get the same player. 

Players that dont handle pressure well might now show us some talent we didn’t realise they had. I’m not sure who in our squad that could be, but my money would be on Iheanacho. He seems like a guy who the crowd puts off more than improves. 

I think Chilly will be glad the boo squad wont be there! 

4 hours ago, gerrytaggart said:

The Saudis will just grease the right palms. 

Newcastle fans are fully able to overlook all the human rights abuses so the small matter of a state owned satellite showing dodgy games is nothing!! 

If we were a struggling club with a crap owner we'd welcome them with open arms. There were plenty of people who were trying the Thai human rights thing when our owners took over. 

• Like 1

Part of our troubles from December have been due to fatigue so the break might have done us some good, however I worry for someone like Tielemans who isn't naturally match fit and will need some games to get going again. I haven't spotted him on any of the training pictures, assume he is back?

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If we were a struggling club with a crap owner we'd welcome them with open arms. There were plenty of people who were trying the Thai human rights thing when our owners took over. 

Maybe, but there's a huge difference between our owners and the human rights of their country of origin compared to direct Saudi rule and human rights. We did get a bit of spotlight in terms of our relationship with the King and how they got the contract for the Duty Free in Thailand, though.

You are right, however. A fair portion of fans at any club would forego most indiscretions for a bit of money. There would be whataboutery at every angle, the back-to-the-wall stuff. Newcastle fans love to throw in the lack of outrage against Sheff Utd (not direct Saudi rule) and the other companies the Saudi Investment Fund have their fingers in. They don't seem to realise that they're not a profit-making entity, they're a sportswashing object whose value is in PR.

Now, I'm sure there are genuine Newcastle fans who are uncomfortable with what's going on, but these are being drowned out by the crazies (which would be at any club) so desperate for the takeover that they don't care. They just do not care. Not to make it political but think of those staunch people who simply do not care at what DC has done in recent days, because of their blind loyalty to the PM or their party.

Blind loyalty exists on here. Remember when people had the temerity to question the clubs decisions a while ago and it was "hand back your season ticket" "the owners have done so much you're ungrateful."

It's just the way life is, unfortunately. What will be funny though is the Premier League welcoming in a state-owned organisation into the elite club when they've been doing their best to undermine the competition's television deal in the gulf for years. The PL will look like mugs and they know they'll look like mugs, and yet... it's still going to happen!

It will be so interesting to see what does happen in the long term. We now have the Abu Dhabi state-backed initiatives, a Russian billionaire, two US-owned commercial juggernauts, Spurs and Liverpool to be joined by ourselves, an ambitious Everton and the Saudi Arabian state-backed initiative.

Nine most definitely don't go into four, and if the UCL ends up with a closed shop of elite teams in the future with auto entry and only "champions" getting to the UCL, the riches, prestige and rewards will only be available to a select few.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Maybe, but there's a huge difference between our owners and the human rights of their country of origin compared to direct Saudi rule and human rights. We did get a bit of spotlight in terms of our relationship with the King and how they got the contract for the Duty Free in Thailand, though.

You are right, however. A fair portion of fans at any club would forego most indiscretions for a bit of money. There would be whataboutery at every angle, the back-to-the-wall stuff. Newcastle fans love to throw in the lack of outrage against Sheff Utd (not direct Saudi rule) and the other companies the Saudi Investment Fund have their fingers in. They don't seem to realise that they're not a profit-making entity, they're a sportswashing object whose value is in PR.

Now, I'm sure there are genuine Newcastle fans who are uncomfortable with what's going on, but these are being drowned out by the crazies (which would be at any club) so desperate for the takeover that they don't care. They just do not care. Not to make it political but think of those staunch people who simply do not care at what DC has done in recent days, because of their blind loyalty to the PM or their party.

Blind loyalty exists on here. Remember when people had the temerity to question the clubs decisions a while ago and it was "hand back your season ticket" "the owners have done so much you're ungrateful."

It's just the way life is, unfortunately. What will be funny though is the Premier League welcoming in a state-owned organisation into the elite club when they've been doing their best to undermine the competition's television deal in the gulf for years. The PL will look like mugs and they know they'll look like mugs, and yet... it's still going to happen!

It will be so interesting to see what does happen in the long term. We now have the Abu Dhabi state-backed initiatives, a Russian billionaire, two US-owned commercial juggernauts, Spurs and Liverpool to be joined by ourselves, an ambitious Everton and the Saudi Arabian state-backed initiative.

Nine most definitely don't go into four, and if the UCL ends up with a closed shop of elite teams in the future with auto entry and only "champions" getting to the UCL, the riches, prestige and rewards will only be available to a select few.

There's definitely an argument for stopping the takeover but I don't blame fans for wanting success. 

1 hour ago, Hales said:

I think Chilly will be glad the boo squad wont be there! 

yes and no. Chilly was exceptional for the under 23 teams, which could just be because of how much more ability he has, but it could also be an indication that he plays better without the pressure, someone who watched him regularly at that level may be able to comment on that. 

But at the same time Chilly has played well for England. Thats the highest level of pressure in possibly all of football, so youd think he clearly copes well with it.  

Another player who I expect to excel is Barnes. Whilst he had played himself into form, he still seemed nervous in front of goal. We could have an absolute weapon on our hands if he's finishing without the pressure, because talent wise... Id say he's up there with the best at the club.

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Like  who??  I don't recall anyone mentioning human rights being violated by a Dury free shop?!?!? 

1 hour ago, gerrytaggart said:

Like  who??  I don't recall anyone mentioning human rights being violated by a Dury free shop?!?!? 

If you check these boards when the takeover was about to happen there were plenty of objections. The owners relationship with the King, police scams in the duty free shops etc.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If you check these boards when the takeover was about to happen there were plenty of objections. The owners relationship with the King, police scams in the duty free shops etc.

As someone who lived in Thailand, corruption is rife at all levels. Schools, politics, crime, business .... its just the way it is. A business doesnt make it as big as KP without its fair share of corruption. Our owners are good people, but they will have done their fair share of corrupt acts to get where they are... and to stay there. 

But to me there is a huge difference between paying people for success and creating a monopoly, to the human rights issues in SA

Edited by Lambert09

4 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Part of our troubles from December have been due to fatigue so the break might have done us some good, however I worry for someone like Tielemans who isn't naturally match fit and will need some games to get going again. I haven't spotted him on any of the training pictures, assume he is back?

The players are on shifts, so photographer isn’t always there to capture people. 

4 more positive PL tests - it’s got me a bit weary of re-starting tbh if like Ramsden, they tested negative last week because there’s every change they were contiguous and at their training ground 

6 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Yeah this will be huge. We forget that usually we have friendlies to get sharp. 

Naturally fit players are going to thrive. I wouldn’t be surprised if Albrighton was our best player for the first few weeks. It seems like he is alway one of the sharp ones in the early pre-season games. 

Theres definitely going to be a few players that are going to be miles off it for a few games. 

I also think that we might see a worse Vardy. Really hope I’m wrong but he seems like a player that thrives off the crowd. Without that kicking him on we might not get the same player. 

Players that dont handle pressure well might now show us some talent we didn’t realise they had. I’m not sure who in our squad that could be, but my money would be on Iheanacho. He seems like a guy who the crowd puts off more than improves. 

Go to pre season, Iheanacho had a belting pre season. Good be a great shout. 

• Like 1

Have to feel for Kean-Phillipe Gbamin, hevsigned for Everton for £25mill last summer; played 2 games before injuring his thigh in August and requiring 2 operations on it. He's just done his Achilles in a non-contact session and is out for a further 6 months. 

27 minutes ago, KingsX said:

if this is the answer ...

1920resumes.thumb.JPG.a4d4f5660f8c352650f9c5528455f95f.JPG

... what is the question?

"Name three of LCFC's last four opponents when the season resumes"

Meh, we’ll have third place sewn up by then. 

• Thanks 1

Football Focus have just done a feature on Messi and then moved onto South Americans that have played in the Premier League. All of the usual suspects mentioned that played for the media click bait darlings, even including Norbert Solano, but absolutely no mention of Cambiasso. Perhaps understandable given the goal he scored against Man U. :rolleyes: :mad: