Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

PTSD from the Pearson experiment in 14/15? 

Could really work for us especially with our dynamic full backs 

PTSD from Southampton away in January 2017. Ouch.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

I think you are right with this. We have plenty of defensive midfielders, i.e. Ndidi, Choudhury, Mendy and Amartey. We are lacking creativity, even if we get Tielemans. If we play Ndidi behind Maddison and Tielemans in a 3 then who is the cover if Maddison or Tielemans is injured? Maybe Choudhury could "do a job", but it is not his speciality. Perez is more of a front 3 player and had only 2 assists last season, given that was with Newcastle.

Agreed. We're stacked in DM, because Puel favoured a double pivot 4-2-3-1. That formation doesn't require any creative CMs, only a no.10 CAM. Now Rodgers wants to play 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3, we need more playmaker/creative type CMs. I think Perez would be a good signing, as we could do with some improvement out wide and better backup to Vardy. He may even be able to play CM, but I don't think that's where he's best.

Edited by Raw Dykes

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

PTSD from the Pearson experiment in 14/15? 

Could really work for us especially with our dynamic full backs 

The full backs are the key as you need great full backs for a diamond to work. Ricardo and Chilwell are pretty much ideal for full backs in a diamond. I still think there are better formations for us but we could pull off a diamond now. 

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Good points mate.

If we do persist with a formation with no wingers I think a few things need to happen:

Choudhury as DM

Controversial maybe, however when he plays in the DM role he naturally likes to sit deep, even alongside the CB’s. Whereas Ndidi likes to be everywhere on the pitch. With Choudhury’s inclusion we can transition between a 3 at the back and the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond variants.

60-70% possession most games

Whether we can do that is another matter, but that will be Brendan’s aim.

Aggressive high press

We’ll need our forward players applying pressure as soon as we lose the ball. Vardy and Perez might be able to, but can Tielemans & Maddison? 

We need to sign another number 8

To play alongside Tielemans or cover for injuries.

I think the reason N'didi was seen to be more advanced last season, was due to Puel asking that of him. He played alongside Mendy for most the season I recall and out of the two, I imagine he was asked to push forward, which I think he really struggled with. I was much more happy when BR came in and pushed N'didi back to his natural position of sitting in front and shielding the back 4. I believe BR will do that again this season and so we will likely see a much better N'didi again who is able to play to his strengths of breaking up attacks and playing it simple to the likes of Tielemans and Maddison or out wide. I do think Choudary can do that role too though, but I imagine he will be used as cover most the season or brought on when we need to hold a lead. 

Agree with the rest though and Tielemans and Maddison will need to press more and work hard, but in BR, I think they have a manager they will really work hard for. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He's a technically brilliant footballer. Consistency has always been his problem. I think his versatility is a big draw. If you have him on the bench he can come on to replace 4 or 5 different pkayers

He turns 26 this month we are buying at the right time generally for a player to improve consistency. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm pretty sure they weren't saying they're leaving. That's how I read it at first, as well. I think they were saying "Leaving...(those players) ... trying to get in the team and sell the rest."

I get it now, sorry makes way more sense than what I thought.

Thank you

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not bothered about the fee but I am. For £15-20m he'd be a smart acquisition and would represent value for a versatile player that's not necessarily a starter. For £30m he needs to come in and make a pretty telling contribution

My thoughts exactly. 

Every transfer is a risk but the price seems a little high. I hope we are both proven wrong because at £30m, he will need to come in and make a big impact if we are to consider it a successful transfer. It also seems strange that we've managed to get this one over the line but the Youri deal is stalling - Youri is so much more essential and he is a known quantity, I would be throwing the kitchen sink to get him in and focussing on that! 

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Agreed. We're stacked in DM, because Puel favoured a double pivot 4-2-3-1. That formation doesn't require any creative CMs, only a no.10 CAM. Now Rodgers wants to play 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3, we need more playmaker/creative type CMs. I think Perez would be a good signing, as we could do with some improvement out wide and better backup to Vardy. He may even be able to play CM, but I don't think that's where he's best.

Perhaps we will pick up another creative CM or at least someone who is comfortable on the ball and can keep the game going at a pace which will suit us. Plenty of decent CM's around but can only think we've been linked with the one from Celtic so far. 

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Or...

------------------------Vardy------------------------

---Barnes--Maddison--Tielemans---Perez---

------------------------N'didi------------------------

Either way, this is why I can't see us going after a £30-50m winger as well. Already got Gray and Albrighton not getting into this formation. With Chilwell and Ricardo loving to bomb forward and overlap, I think that gives us the width too in either formation. Barnes, Gray and Albrighton will be limited to very few games if we do sign another winger. 

Barnes will still feature a lot I reckon. He was decent for us when he came back but just short of a few goals.There will be the odd hiccup along the way but there's more in him.

Gray is in last chance saloon territory. Still young but it's likely a 4th season could pass him by and if so it's time to move him on.

Albrighton has probably peaked with us but we've all convinced ourselves he was finished the last 3 seasons but time and time again he's proved us wrong. If he does start to decline then no complaints. He's had a heck of a time with us.

Edited by Blue ROI

7 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

The full backs are the key as you need great full backs for a diamond to work. Ricardo and Chilwell are pretty much ideal for full backs in a diamond. I still think there are better formations for us but we could pull off a diamond now. 

You play a diamond because you want to play in between the lines through the middle. The full backs are outlets when needed. We’re just lucky to have two good ones. 

If you wanted to get the best out of attacking fullbacks you play wingers who will cut inside to create space for the overlap. 

If Brendan persists with a diamond, it’s not because he wants to get the best out of Pereira/Chilwell imo.

Edited by Shane

14 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Is he really that good though...? I cant say i feel excited about this :/

12 goals in a defensive brick wall team last season. Good with both feet and works his socks off every game apparently. Played pretty much every game for them in last few years. He is no dream signing but a smart one by the sounds of it. £30m is expensive but who isn't these days! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Is he really that good though...? I cant say i feel excited about this :/

Another way to look at it, he has been in a relatively poor Newcastle side. Perhaps better quality players and service around him will show how he truly is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Barnes will still feature a lot I reckon. He was decent for us when he came back but just short of a few goals.There will be the odd hiccup along the way but there's more in him.

Gray is in last chance saloon territory. Still young but it's likely a 4th season could pass him by and if so it's time to move him on.

Albrighton has probably peaked with us but we've all convinced ourselves he was finished the last 3 seasons but time and time again he's proved us wrong. If he does start to decline then no complaints. He's had a heck of a time with us.

I think that is what BR must be careful with. Players like Barnes, Choudary, Benkovic etc could all become top players for us, and so we must be careful not to get carried away and spend dosh loads on starters who immediately push these players down the pecking order. Sign 2-3 top players absolutely, but these types of players still have a very bright future for us and need faith and game time to hopefully peak with us. 

Chilwell is a great example of what can happen 

Edited by STUHILL
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Exactly let's say we sell Maguire for 90m

We then pay 30m for perez and 40m for Tielemans.

We have actually got 2 class players for free with about 2m spare good business

4 hours ago, weller54 said:

When Rachel retires from Countdown I think you should apply.. Clearly Maths is your strong point ?...? 

Am I missing something?

Paid circa 18m for Maguire (after all add ons, which he would have met). Leaves 72m profit from which we buy the two players.

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

Am I missing something?

Paid circa 18m for Maguire (after all add ons, which he would have met). Leaves 72m profit from which we buy the two players.

Yea it's my figures that are correct.

But let him have his moment I think it's because I have t added the 15%sell on fee

31 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

No way are Fuchs, Morgan and Albrighton leaving.

I’d be surprised if Gray was allowed to leave and can’t see Amartey leaving unless on loan.

No, I didnt mean to sell the bottom list. They would be rotating on the bench/first team. I meant sell anyone who wasnt listed, I.e. King. James, Ghezzal, Diabate... 

• Like 1