Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dennis Praet

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

14 and 18 points ahead of us following a season spent mostly under Puel, without Tielemans for half a season.

We’re an unknown quantity, I can’t believe after one signing that’s late but still on for a bloke none of us knew we’re suddenly not good enough, we’re an embarrassingly reactionary fanbase. 

I genuinely don't know why people think Man U have strengthened so much. They've signed a young lad from Swansea, Maguire and Wan Bisakka who's had one decent season at premier league level and is relatively unproven.

They've lost their only real number 9 and have failed to get rid of Pogba who appears to be an influential problem. I genuinely think they were banking on him going to free up funds to improve them going forward. Sure they look a little more stable at the back but that's not gonna solve every problem. I'll still be surprise if Ole has a kin come Christmas.

And with arsenal, they've added to their already potent attack and gone after Luiz to steady up their back line, a player who's not exactly steady.

I do think Arsenal will make top 4 this year, but Utd could still struggle

• Like 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

I genuinely can't quite get my head around the people talking about our final points total from last season completely ignoring we spent most of the year playing for one of the worst managers in the league. 

They're probably the same people that thought Puel wasn't the problem and our players "just can't play possession football." 

Amen.

Had the season commenced when Rogers took over till the end we’d have finished fourth.

I realise there’s a new manager boost and all that and I’m not expecting 4th over a whole season but the football and the results were biblically improved.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I genuinely can't quite get my head around the people talking about our final points total from last season completely ignoring we spent most of the year playing for one of the worst managers in the league. 

They're probably the same people that thought Puel wasn't the problem and our players "just can't play possession football." 

This:

If we were at our peak last season  and finished so many points behind the top 6 then fair enough. We were utter gash for a long period of the season. Went Brendan came in, we looked a different side. The negativity towards our transfer dealings is crazy. Illusions of grandeur much!

1 minute ago, manders86 said:

This:

If we were at our peak last season  and finished so many points behind the top 6 then fair enough. We were utter gash for a long period of the season. Went Brendan came in, we looked a different side. The negativity towards our transfer dealings is crazy. Illusions of grandeur much!

Losing Maguire was always going to be a blow, and the fact that we've not replaced him is a problem for the short sighted.

For them it has covered over the fact that we've signed one of Europe's hottest young talents, a proven premier league player in a position that was really needed and potentially a player, described as one of the best in italy, to help us unlock defenses, something we've lacked for many years.

Anyone who thinks this transfers window has been a bad one plays way too much football manager and/or fifa

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Its took a matter of hours to go from totally dismissing the teams around us to where they are now much better prepared and we’re suddenly completely devoid of quality to challenge Top 6.

The fact is on paper this will be the most competitive top 10 in years, if not ever, and not only that you could have perhaps two teams outside the predetermined ‘big clubs’ finish top 6. We don’t know but we are in that mix but are guaranteed nothing.

Its been obvious that would be the case since the end of the season, especially when we got Tielemans, yet so many are almost eager to live headline to headline to have something to go over the top or just flat out whine about. 

This is is why I don’t come on in June & July, there’s absolutely nothing but reaction until the football starts (then it’s still there, but at least it’s not shouting at headlines).

9 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I also think we're better than people think but I do think that Maguire was a big loss and we will miss him. I rate Caggers and Benko but they will make errors. You can't lose the world's most expensive CB and expect to be as strong at the back.

Fortunately the world's most expensive centre back isn't the world's best centre back.

Not knocking HM, just adding some perspective. To replace him we could've ended up buying the world's 2nd most expensive centre back, who definitely wouldn't be the world's 2nd best centre back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

14 and 18 points ahead of us following a season spent mostly under Puel, without Tielemans for half a season.

We’re an unknown quantity, I can’t believe after one signing that’s late but still on for a bloke none of us knew we’re suddenly not good enough, we’re an embarrassingly reactionary fanbase. 

100% agree.. we don’t actually no how good this team is going to be? Ricardo, Tielemens, Chilwell, Maddison, Ndidi could all very well be world class one day and if they click together and come of age in the same season it could be another magical season.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

There are still 6 teams with stronger squads than us, we’ll be relying on one side under performing now we haven’t spent any money. 

Spending money guarantees nothing whatsoever, it's how you spend it. Has everyone forgot the £21m team that won the Premiership? Yes, folks can mumble that it was different then but people then said it was impossible and made excuses ... but we whooped it by 10 clear points! 

Ok, certain teams have spent big since then, but what have they actually got for it. How much have Man Utd spent since then, is it all going smoothly? Our major signing is arguably for the price, one of the deals of the summer and we bought him at a young age having seen him prove to us that he has ability and fits in well.  Perez, in a very negative team scored 12 last year with only Praet an unknown quantity. Plus a great young lad for back up and further development. Chilwell, Ricardo, Barnes, Tielemans and Maddison who were brand new last season and had to learn to gel at a very young age with a  brand new manager but showed every sign of being able to push on. Outside the top couple we have players that would be the envy of many other clubs fans. 

I think what we've bought we've bought well. Any undue criticism or claims of lack of ambition are crass as such criticism would be made without the knowledge base of what was actually attempted. As I've said before, you can't buy what somebody won't sell or recruit a player who wouldn't consider Leicester City a club he'd want to come to for various reasons. To be greedy and envious and buy for buying sake to keep up with others is a poor business model. We should continue to stive to do it our way.

So many different names have been put forward by so many fans but our professionals have access to stats, personal knowledge and experience way in advance of a few cunningly put together video clips. Whilst mistakes have been made in the past, current thinking has brought in Maguire, Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans, Evans, Perez and now Praet, together with developing Chilwell and Barnes. I think they're going the right way. If they haven't bought certain players in like Sarr, for want of a popular example, the chances are there's a reason why.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

There are still 6 teams with stronger squads than us, we’ll be relying on one side under performing now we haven’t spent any money. 

And another thing..... not spent any money? We’ve just broken out pissing transfer record on one player........

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Screenshot_20190808-174515.thumb.png.291ed510e50e8ec9386d4ebbf92f4cd8.png

This was the table after the Palace loss a couple of days before Rodgers took over... 

Interesting.

So we outperformed United by 20pts to 15pts since Rogers came in and they had a game in hand.

It's difficult to know what to expect with United though.  They had such a terrible end of season that it seems to have fooled people into thinking that they're rubbish.  Didn't they have a run of 10 straight wins when OGS took over though?  And finished runners up and won the cup the year previous.

I don't think they will be such lame ducks as everybody thinks.

32 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Personally I’m not reacting to anything. Whether we sign Praet or not won’t change my opinion.

An optimistic forecast is that we’ll break top six. It could happen, but probably on the upper limits of what we’ll achieve. A realistic forecast is probably 7th-9th.

That’s because the top six of last season still have strong squads and Everton, Wolves, West Ham and Watford will all have similar ambitions to us. Based on the market bookies have us finishing 8th. 

Top six is possible, but don’t confuse realism in some quarters with being “embarrassingly reactionary”. 

Edited by Jobyfox