Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

24 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

He's got the talent just needs the right coaching which looks like he is.. there is a player in there needs more game time though in the first team ..

Sterling was shit until Pep got the best out of him.

I agree with this. Gray with some proper coaching could become a player who gets 15 goals and 10 assists a season. If he takes chances like he did yesterday he'd get a hell of a lot more goals. Like sterling he needs the coach who believes in him and gets him to deliver more often when he gets into key positions. 

• Like 1

these observations about coaching are all all valid, until you realise that literally every other promising young player in and around our first team squad has come on leaps and bounds recently with one outstanding example.

Gray is not a bad player right here right now, but he hasn't come on like others have and in many cases from further back

Edited by ParkerPen

3 hours ago, shailen said:

I agree with this. Gray with some proper coaching could become a player who gets 15 goals and 10 assists a season. If he takes chances like he did yesterday he'd get a hell of a lot more goals. Like sterling he needs the coach who believes in him and gets him to deliver more often when he gets into key positions. 

Don't we say this after every good cameo we see from Gray? It's like Del Boy saying next year he'll be a millionaire. Gray is what he is. Don't get me wrong, he clearly has talent and pace but he just hasn't got the consistency in decision making that you need to be a top quality wide player in the PL. That's why he works best as an impact sub because his lack of consistency is exposed when he plays from the start. If we keep him, and I'm not sure we should, we should use him as we have over recent weeks, where he has played a key role coming off the bench.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Don't we say this after every good cameo we see from Gray? It's like Del Boy saying next year he'll be a millionaire. Gray is what he is. Don't get me wrong, he clearly has talent and pace but he just hasn't got the consistency in decision making that you need to be a top quality wide player in the PL. That's why he works best as an impact sub because his lack of consistency is exposed when he plays from the start. If we keep him, and I'm not sure we should, we should use him as we have over recent weeks, where he has played a key role coming off the bench.

Yes but you could say that about Sterling a couple of seasons ago. He's now a composed, efficient finisher in front of goal and shows a good level of consistency. 

Gray shows ability to beat a man, can actually switch play well and finish well. He hasn't so far done that consistently enough but since we restarted I'd have him as one of our better players with a goal and two assists. He can't have even played 90 mins since we restarted either. 

I'm not saying if he should start or not but he should get more game time imo, because his recent cameos deserve it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, shailen said:

1 hour ago, shailen said:

Yes but you could say that about Sterling a couple of seasons ago. He's now a composed, efficient finisher in front of goal and shows a good level of consistency. 

Gray shows ability to beat a man, can actually switch play well and finish well. He hasn't so far done that consistently enough but since we restarted I'd have him as one of our better players with a goal and two assists. He can't have even played 90 mins since we restarted either. 

I'm not saying if he should start or not but he should get more game time imo, because his recent cameos deserve it. 

Some proper coaching?? his 24

played under BR for nearly 18 months

had about 8 different league managers

not to mention nearly 40 games through the England age groups

What is this proper coaching you speak of? 

Sterling is another level and was before man city move compared to gray

Edited by HankMarvin

Demari could be a wonderful, wonderful footballer, it's his head.

Question for City staff is, do they think that one day it will all click?

Adama looks a 60m player now, 12 months ago he was just another Gray.

48 minutes ago, nnickn said:

Demari could be a wonderful, wonderful footballer, it's his head.

Question for City staff is, do they think that one day it will all click?

Adama looks a 60m player now, 12 months ago he was just another Gray.

Adama had different attributes to Gray. Gray has never been as pacy, technical, or powerful as him, but he was less of a headless chicken (which says something about how headless of a chicken Traore used to be).

Very glad he's remembered how to play football just in time for the summer window, a lot of teams will be in for him as he's coming into his last year contracted with us. Would definitely not extend him, too big a risk that he relapses again. We could also get another prospect to replace his position in the squad for a similar price that we sell him for, like Eze, or Stengs for a bit more.

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Some proper coaching?? his 24

played under BR for nearly 18 months

had about 8 different league managers

not to mention nearly 40 games through the England age groups

What is this proper coaching you speak of? 

Sterling is another level and was before man city move compared to gray

I'm not comparing Gray and Sterling in terms of ability but their situations are similar. 

Look at Sterling before Pep came to Man City. He had raw talent but was rarely effective in games as he'd try too much. Similar to Gray before BR came in. 

Pep got Sterling to simplify his game and utilise his pace more and move it quicker. BR has got a lot of work to do but what I've seen so far is encouraging. 

In terms of coaching, Sterling was an England regular well before he worked with Pep, so sometimes it only clicks for certain players with certain managers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

20 years old, 50m move

7 goals 7 assists in his last LFC season

95 games played at 20 18 goals in total....

well shit

no more than Barnes then really in his LFC season

under Pep..

51 games 25 goals 18 assists

Clearly made him a better player

Edited by whoareyaaa

46 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

no more than Barnes then really in his LFC season

under Pep..

51 games 25 goals 18 assists

Clearly made him a better player

Not really Barnes is 22 

Sterling Got 9 goals and 5 assists as an 18 year old 

was clearly on the path to to stardom, at a young age hence why he went for a record amount for an English player at the time 

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Not really Barnes is 22 

Sterling Got 9 goals and 5 assists as an 18 year old 

was clearly on the path to to stardom, at a young age hence why he went for a record amount for an English player at the time 

i agree overall he is a better player but he has had the game time to help him develop. 

8 hours ago, shailen said:

I'm not comparing Gray and Sterling in terms of ability but their situations are similar. 

Look at Sterling before Pep came to Man City. He had raw talent but was rarely effective in games as he'd try too much. Similar to Gray before BR came in. 

Pep got Sterling to simplify his game and utilise his pace more and move it quicker. BR has got a lot of work to do but what I've seen so far is encouraging. 

In terms of coaching, Sterling was an England regular well before he worked with Pep, so sometimes it only clicks for certain players with certain managers. 

How much of it is natural progression 

sure peps coaching will have helped, it took 2 season for him to hit 18 goals.

once it did he gained composure and confidence and was still just 22

Thought Gary Neville made a good observation on Sunday in that Gray never makes those outside in runs like Sterling does. He always wants the ball to feet but given his finishing ability, he could get so many goals with those runs. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, shailen said:

Thought Gary Neville made a good observation on Sunday in that Gray never makes those outside in runs like Sterling does. He always wants the ball to feet but given his finishing ability, he could get so many goals with those runs. 

Dont think any of our wingers make those runs? They all play so narrow which makes it so easy to defend against as the opposituon just pack the middle of the pitch. Amount of times been screaming at Barnes/Chilwell to overlap each other is ridiculous

1 hour ago, tsintskaro said:

he cant make those runs,thats the problem

watching him against Totenham was depressing 

bad player,move on 

He can make those runs when the likes of ricardo are on the pitch, look at the burnley second goal. Justin just doesnt have the experience/ability just yet to find him on the overlap and Gray knows that example: when he was trying to make those runs vs arsenal and justin kept passing behind him. He also came on at 3-0 down against a parked bus and created more than barnes and perez and also almost scored a freekick. It was a very decent appearance considering the circumstances yet our fans will still target him. Embarrasing if im being honest.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

He has 1 year left right? So do we offer another contract? 

Ive always been a bit meh when he is concerned, but he has improved this season, especially since the restart, so i don't know if i would or wouldn't give him a move or try to keep. Tough call as we do need depth and as an impact sub he has proved more than worthy. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Royston. said:

With a likely gruelling europa league campaign next season we probably need Gray.

Plus with Coronavirus it's going to be harder for all clubs to spend. So I suspect he'll be offered a two year deal or similar.

Personally though I would move him on, as I think it would be best for club and player. He's 24 now and at that age you've got to be starting as many games as you can. I don't dislike him, but think for his own good he'd be better playing for a bottom 10 team but playing every week and possibly being their star player. I look at Kramaric who left us to go to Hoffenheim and is now a real star turn. Don't think Gray will ever reach anything like that level, but if he played every week he could still be a valuable player for someone. For us he is a very good impact player, but he's never shown more than that and it's unlikely to happen. Puel actually trusted in him after Mahrez left but he never stepped up the plate and football is brutal like that sometimes.

• Like 1

2 things.

1. It's a bit of a myth that Gray is this dense player who hasn't a clue what he's doing. I'd say he's one of the only ones that's actually thought about our play in the final third and tried to play to our strengths. 

2. Gray should be offered a contract 100% for me. He's not only knocking on the door at the moment for a starting place but I don't get why squad players shouldn't be offered contracts anyway? Players like Gray are gold dust as he makes an impact when he comes on and doesn't kick up a fuss. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Dont think any of our wingers make those runs? They all play so narrow which makes it so easy to defend against as the opposituon just pack the middle of the pitch. Amount of times been screaming at Barnes/Chilwell to overlap each other is ridiculous

As you say, Barnes and Perez play almost as inside forwards rather than actual winger, which would be fine if our fullbacks utilised the width enough. I'm hoping this 3 back formation is something we look at utilising more, as Gray can be utilised in both the wing and a central role. 

He seems a really decent finisher, given some of the chances he's taken have seemed harder than ones players like Barnes have missed

Edited by UniFox21