Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't think a player exists that doesn't ever get out-muscled. He was unlocking all sorts of doors though, especially infield.

It does happen a bit too often to Perez I must say, though as has been said it only happened once today. But with him I sometimes thinks that he's too used to the Spanish game where a player goes down and gets the free kick for that type of play, whereas over here it doesn't work like that. If we are in European football next season, Perez might suddenly start winning us a ton of freekicks in dangerous positions!

For me the frustrating thing isn't to much losing the ball - as you say everyone gets out-muscled and if you are up against an absolute unit like Sahko or Adama Traore of Wolves, trust me you don't stand a chance. But where he could do better is being more tenacious. Something that we all LOVE about Jamie Vardy is that he wins the ball a massive amount for a forward. Take today, he was having a nightmare for most of the game but still chased lost causes at times and did his bit. When Vardy gets out-muscled, he works twice as hard to try and win it back, and often does. Even Riyad Mahrez when he was a Leicester player rarely threw himself to the ground after losing the ball, he actually tried to recover the ball or at least get back into position. Where Perez (and Maddison too it must be said) frustrate is they go down tamely. Even if they lost the ball I'd rather they got back up and tried to win it back. There was a moment before JJ's chance where Chilwell overran the ball and fell over, but still got his foot out and kept the ball. That shows you that attitude is extremely important. Perez is actually great at winning the ball, and isn't falling over because he's lost his balance Okazaki style, so it's even more annoying when he drops to the ground. Stay up man!

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

It does happen a bit too often to Perez I must say, though as has been said it only happened once today. But with him I sometimes thinks that he's too used to the Spanish game where a player goes down and gets the free kick for that type of play, whereas over here it doesn't work like that

Unless you happen to play for Crystal Palace and Moss is reffing.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Unless you happen to play for Crystal Palace and Moss is reffing.

We've had quite a few games like that this season as well. I can only remember one game where it went the other way, which was West Ham away where I swear in the first half we literally got every single decision go our way.

That said VAR got us points against Wolves twice, and against Spurs. Though it cost us against Man United and Liverpool, as well as Villa in the cup. So hard to say if it's been an especially lucky or unlucky season!

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

We've had quite a few games like that this season as well. I can only remember one game where it went the other way, which was West Ham away where I swear in the first half we literally got every single decision go our way.

That said VAR got us points against Wolves twice, and against Spurs. Though it cost us against Man United and Liverpool, as well as Villa in the cup. So hard to say if it's been an especially lucky or unlucky season!

I know, I was just being topical.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't think a player exists that doesn't ever get out-muscled. He was unlocking all sorts of doors though, especially infield.

No I liked his role today, one of his specialties is winning challanges which put pressure on the opposition in their half, hes also gifted with close control inside the box

Edited by splinterdream

• 4 months later...
Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've never been his biggest fan but thought he was an ok squad player. However, if he can't even get on the pitch last night, I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for his future here, perhaps he'll be off in the summer?

Wouldn’t be disappointed if he did go. Tbf to him he's probably been played out of position out on the right. Much better playing off a striker who can hold the ball up, which makes you wonder why we signed him in the first place.

I never really rated him at Newcastle tbh, think he had a decent spell for 4-5 months where he scored a few.

Another bizarre scenario where a system that would suit him is now seemingly our preferred option and yet he now doesn't even make the bench in the league. He would be excellent behind the striker/s in certain games. Just another occurrence that makes zero sense.

• Like 2

Would agree that Perez could have worked last night, a without Vardy we need to two in decent proximity up the field. Its ridiculous to expect Nacho to make it stick on his own.

He didn’t get on last night as all bar 1 sub were forced.
3 of the 5 taken for the players coming back from injury he does not fit in those slots, 4th sub Morgan off with sore back he doesn’t replace a CB leaving 1 substitution and that was left for the most creative player on the bench.

Again no conspiracy theory, was simply how the subs panned out for the reasoning why he never came on.

13 hours ago, BKLFox said:

He didn’t get on last night as all bar 1 sub were forced.
3 of the 5 taken for the players coming back from injury he does not fit in those slots, 4th sub Morgan off with sore back he doesn’t replace a CB leaving 1 substitution and that was left for the most creative player on the bench.

Again no conspiracy theory, was simply how the subs panned out for the reasoning why he never came on.

Ah, I forgot about the Morgan sub, maybe he would have gotten on if Wes didn't go off.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've never been his biggest fan but thought he was an ok squad player. However, if he can't even get on the pitch last night, I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for his future here, perhaps he'll be off in the summer?

After not featuring at all in a game we clearly weren't taking that seriously, with an obvious void for him to play (if we're going to not go for it then play Perez where Praet played) then I'm beginning to think the same. I've not been impressed with Perez but I'd have played him yesterday I think.

I reckon there's a decent chance he's off.

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

At the risk of my garden fence falling down, I have to say that Perez is, for me, our best player in the first half. Good for him!  🎄 

100% he’s not stuck out wide and can drift into space it suits him.

• Like 2