Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

7 hours ago, splinterdream said:

But considering you're wrapped up on the bad, I'll point out the good. Soyuncu (£19mill), Evans (£3mill), Ricardo (£25mill), Ndidi (£16mill), Maddison (£21mill), Praet (£17mill) and Youri (£39mill). All brilliant buys, and great recruitment. But yeah we recruit badly. 

When you look at that group of players you quoted in another context, it does rather highlight the sort of very decent talent that we have in our squad and that's without certain other names. It rather suggests that Rodgers has got a touch of reverse King Midas, instead of gold, whatever he touches turns to shit 🤣

In light of what happened when he lost his star forward in Suarez at Liverpool, we'd better hope that Vardy doesn't get pissed off with him and leaves!

13 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Oh yes he was. I think it was most tackles by a forward in the PL, here it is. That's workrate.

https://www.trollfootball.me/news/view/ayoze-perez-has-most-combined-tackles-and-interceptions-101-of-any

101 tackles and interceptions, the next highest was 65 at that point. Interestingly, that 45 gap was as much as the gap between 2nd and 19th. I appreciate it was partly down to the Newcastle style, but this part of his game was referenced when we signed him.

You could see that we all of a sudden found our pressing game when we played Chelsea, as Vardy suddenly had that partner that Shinji used to be, back to loads of pointing and pressure. I think he will start from here on in.

So you believe a wingers main role is to press. Ok. Wingers contribute in the final third just like Mahrez did. Perez main strength is pressing.... what a player we have on our hands!

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley 'learned a lesson' over Ayoze Perez sale to Leicester City

Spanish forward joined City after his £30 million release clause was met

BY JORDAN BLACKWELL

06:00, 28 JUL 2019UPDATED19:15, 27 JUL 2019

...am I to deduce that the information is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Perez seems to be the sort of player that does enough a lot of the time, but won't do something brilliant very often. 

His moments of brilliance have been exceptionally bright, however. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Perez seems to be the sort of player that does enough a lot of the time, but won't do something brilliant very often. 

Someone mentioned the other day he drifts through games until he's subbed, sums it up for me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Someone mentioned the other day he drifts through games until he's subbed, sums it up for me.

If we play high up the pitch he's useful. If we sit deep and lob balls up top, he's less effective. Same as Vardy, Barnes, Maddison and 90% of attscking players.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, frany104 said:

So you believe a wingers main role is to press. Ok. Wingers contribute in the final third just like Mahrez did. Perez main strength is pressing.... what a player we have on our hands!

No, but like with Shinji, he does win possession high up the pitch, which is important for us.

I would love a more conventional pacy player playing wide right, but he would need to be hard worker as well. Then maybe we would see Perez more centrally, where he seems to play best.

21 minutes ago, Shane said:

Looked much better in a central position. Created 3 wonderful chances:

- First half tackled the palace player and played Vardy through who tried to square it to Kelechi. 

- First half again, controlled the high ball and one time pass to Vardy but unlucky final touch.

- Second half puts Vardy through, but the shot hits the side netting.

His positioning was also excellent and he won the ball back a few times in the opposition third. Would like to see him more involved in the penalty box, but apart from that I thought he put in a good performance. 

Totally agree. He also looked great against West Ham away earlier in the season where he played... centrally just behind the main striker.

It might be better to use him in that way rather than out wide. I think he always puts in a shift in terms of working for the team, but he's not a natural wide player in the way that Gray, Albrighton and Barnes are. By that I mean Albrighton always jinks and gets service in through his crosses, and Barnes and Gray use blistering pace to either get a shot in or provide an assist to Vardy. Perez has better stats than Albrighton and Gray but he has that "square peg in round hole" look about him when playing out wide. When he's played in the position he was today, he looks like a really good player IMO, as he linked the play quite well between the midfield and the strikers. Sort of like a more technical Okzaki in terms of the role he fulfilled today.

When he's put wide he doesn't look like a 30m player, even when he's been good. When he plays centrally like he did today, I think he does look like a player that cost that much... he has more class and quality to his game. Now it is true that a player can learn and adjust to a new position but a modern day wide forward uses pace, dribbling and finishing from the 18-24 yard range to do the damage. Perez doesn't really have those ingredients, whereas someone like Barnes does. That's why playing in this role suits him so much more as Perez's strengths are his workrate, good tackling for a forward, his awareness, his good passing and ability to turn and his ability to link the play. Those are great attributes but more suited to a second striker / 10 like Bergkamp.

I guess the problem is you would always put Maddison in ahead of him, unless we try a midfield diamond of Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison and Perez. Which TBH might not be the worst plan in the world!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

Yeah, he was awesome linking the okay today, and popping up in pockets between midfield line and vardy. We need that as it stops us passing aimlessly sideways in front of a packed defence. 

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

As I’ve been saying most of the season, he needs to play central and not out wide.

Every time he has played central, he’s been quality, the Okazaki type role is his best position.

Hopefully after today Rodgers has finally realised this and will never play him wide again.

• Like 3

On 28/06/2020 at 20:58, splinterdream said:

When they say on BT or Sky sport how good our recruitment is #perez #amartey #slimani #musa #iheanacho #gray #kaputska #Benkovic #Bennett #diabate #ghezzal #silva

Screenshot_20200628_203710.jpg

Let me guess....if this list was made 12 months ago you'd also have included #Soyuncu?.....melt

• Like 2

Think he's been our most underrated player this season. He links well with everyone and his work ethic is incredible often leading to him winning the ball high up the pitch. He's also a great technical player with a good finish on him. He has to play every game for us imo. 

• Like 2

It’s so obvious that he is not a winger and prefers an ‘Okazaki’ role.

His main weakness for me is that he is too easily brushed off the ball.

Also I can’t recall him stringing two decent performances together. That’s why he’s in and out of the side. Needs to be more consistent.

19 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Let me guess....if this list was made 12 months ago you'd also have included #Soyuncu?.....melt

Not at all, Soyuncu was bought for a purpose, we obviously knew maguire would leave so we prepared, but Perez bought to play on the right is trying to put a square peg in a round hole imo (and I'm allowed that opinion), sometimes a plan is required, did we think how we'd incorporate Nacho before we purchased him? I don't think Perez and Nacho are bad players, I think we don't look at a player and see how he'll improve our options in play style  and our overall squad. If you're able to look through my past posts I've been almost a lone figure on here supporting nacho when others have laughed and called him useless so I think you have my point wrong, I'm saying when we buy a player we need to make sure we can make that player better and we'll improve as a result, and what's the need for calling me a melt???? Very sad. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hammo said:

It’s so obvious that he is not a winger and prefers an ‘Okazaki’ role.

His main weakness for me is that he is too easily brushed off the ball.

Also I can’t recall him stringing two decent performances together. That’s why he’s in and out of the side. Needs to be more consistent.

It's strange - I made a point of watching him today to see if he got easily brushed off the ball.

He really didn't.

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's strange - I made a point of watching him today to see if he got easily brushed off the ball.

He really didn't.

There was an occasion he was running with the ball down the left and got pushed off the ball, I don't remember another occasion though.

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

There was an occasion he was running with the ball down the left and got pushed off the ball, I don't remember another occasion though.

I don't think a player exists that doesn't ever get out-muscled. He was unlocking all sorts of doors though, especially infield.