Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

15 hours ago, moore_94 said:

In his entire time since he joined us he has only ever finished the full 90 minutes 7 times, he just isn't a player that can seemingly last for the full 90 minutes

He has also played just 39 minutes of football in November so he was also never going to be fully match fit either

Bringing him off for Nacho made sense

No ... obviously he can. He has been a long time PL player and he could do 90 mins at Newcastle. He is a professional footballer who should be able to play full games (he does train regularly) but obviously Rodgers does not rate him as much as others at the minute. I think he is a great player most suited to play central and near the top as he has great feet that can unlock tight defences.

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I've been a huge critic of Perez i know but, notwithstanding that one swallow doesn't make a summer, I thought he was our best player yesterday. Perhaps time on the sidelines has caused him to see his career flash before his eyes, who knows. 

Whilst always seemingly better in a less constricted more central role, one of my main criticisms had been that although he's never lacked effort, I felt that he was very physically deficient. Yesterday though, on two particular occasions I saw him hold off challenges from two players at the same time. There was definitely a steely aggression and determination there, has he been to the gym or is it a state of mind thing?

More importantly,  he seemed noticeably very Vardy aware and visa versa, some really good interplay and he was flitting about all over the place, movement off the ball that is arguably missing from our all round team play as a whole currently. Without wishing to fan the flames of the fire too much, I just wonder whether he's been victim of dutifully sticking to a set of micro-managing  orders from Rodgers and thought to himself, well I'm not getting picked anyway so bollocks, I'll do my own thing and stick it up his pipe!

At the start of last season we were playing fast pacey aggressive football and pressing from the front, nobody wanted to play us and it was a joy to watch until the turgid build up from the back passing philosophy came into play. If we were to return to the former style, I feel then we would perhaps get the best out of his technical skills which admittedly have always been noticeable. Perhaps playing at a slower pace just doesn't suit him? He certainly easily out performed Maddison yesterday and I was gobsmacked when he got taken off but I had predicted that on another thread at halftime, such are our usual bizarre substitutions. I felt that had Maddison been replaced by Under, his pace and trickery on the right with Perez slotting in behind Vardy would have stretched the play and caused Sheffield big problems and less opportunity to attack. Defending from the front and keeping the opposition busy up their end is a must for me now days.

So well done Ayoze and I don't think it would do any harm whatsoever to see a front 3 of Vardy, Perez and Under (or Barnes) in our next Premiership game as Maddison seems a bit out of sorts at the moment. 

I know its not a popular thing to say around here but it is actually really good man management from Rodgers.

Hes taken him out, given him a kick up the arse and he's obviously responded well in training. You only need to look at his social media to know its hurt him and he's responded well. Long may that continue.

• Like 4

He’s only completed 90 minutes a handful of times, out of position most of the time, and he’s second behind Vardy in PL goals since he signed. Play him in the hole and watch him flourish, honestly, and he’ll play like he did yesterday.

• Like 2

He was excellent yesterday. He is a much more effective player centrally playing off Vardy and with a bit of freedom to roam and link the midfield and attack. That has always been the case. 

He'll always be pretty inconsistent with his performances though. For every game where his little layoffs under pressure are played perfectly into the run of an onrushing full back, he'll get muscled off it, beaten to the ball, or play it straight out of play in the next. I'd be surprised if that changes.

He just hasn't got the physical/athletic gifts, and his pure ability as a footballer isn't quite good enough to offset those limitations to make him a reliable performer. But he is a useful squad player because he is a goal threat and has the ability to link the play well on his day - as long as Rodgers utilises him correctly.

Hopefully this is him responding to criticism. Been a passenger for far too long but I agree he brought two key traits that are missing in this side - his tenacity and close dribbling gave us chances yesterday. Based on that he plays in the games against weaker opposition who will come and stink the place out.

This would be my ‘attacking’ team against lower/mid table opposition:

Vardy   

Barnes  Maddison Perez

JJ      Tielemans      Pereira

N’Didi

Soyuncu       Fofana

Really pleased for him. MOTM performance yesterday. He was everywhere linking play, making runs off the ball and generally looked like he wanted it. Obviously have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but he certainly had his mojo back. Maybe being sidelined took a bit of pressure off, and he certainly looked stronger on the ball and shrugged off a few challenges that previously would have seen him go to ground. He certainly seemed to revel in the free role he was given rather than having to stick wide. 

Took his goal really well and if not for the post would have have had a couple of assists too. Showed great awareness to put both JV and JM through for those efforts.

Wasn't overly surprised when he was subbed, he had put in a shift, which is always difficult after a period without any serious action and was probably being rested for Thursday/Sunday.

If he can turn in this type of performance in that role it certainly gives us more options when trying to break down a low block as he has shown he can beat defenders and take them out of the game with his close control rather than relying on wingers pumping balls into the box.

• Like 1

Pleased to hear that he had a very good game yesterday.After being left out for Zorya it was looking a bit ropey for him

We all thought there was an element of Teachers pet about him being a B-Rod signing but leaving him out has triggered something of a response.

He's been a bit of a Gray in consistency though and there's a touch of flat track bully with him scoring in comprehensive wins.

He does his best work in the centre. The wing doesn't play to his strengths as much.

I still reckon he'll be in and out of sorts but if he can grab a goal every 3 to 4 games it would be a reasonable return.

24 minutes ago, KFS said:

Vardy   

Barnes  Maddison Perez

N’Didi

Soyuncu       Fofana

Pretty short team, we'd get slaughtered even harder at corners. Only Fofana is over 6ft 1?. Even Kasps is about 6ft/6ft 1. Although he should be coming off his line far more often

6 minutes ago, bfox said:

Pretty short team, we'd get slaughtered even harder at corners. Only Fofana is over 6ft 1?. Even Kasps is about 6ft/6ft 1. Although he should be coming off his line far more often

It’d be such an attacking onslaught who cares about corners :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Perez’s issue has only ever really been his pace, strength and consistency. He’s got wonderful ability on the ball and will chip in with goals too, he is also capable of playing some key passes too.

He just needs to become more consistent, he does work hard but I think his overall body language and lack of pace sometimes exposes him, and probably makes it look like he isn’t doing much. Need to see more from him, he’s normally pretty good against lower opponents, that’s where most of his goals came I think? 

50 minutes ago, KFS said:

Hopefully this is him responding to criticism. Been a passenger for far too long but I agree he brought two key traits that are missing in this side - his tenacity and close dribbling gave us chances yesterday. Based on that he plays in the games against weaker opposition who will come and stink the place out.

Vardy   

Barnes  Maddison Perez

N’Didi

Soyuncu       Fofana

Id go

Vardy

Barnes Perez Under

Tielemans Maddison 

Ndidi

Castagne Soyuncu Evans Pereira

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

A fluid front 3 of Barnes, Perez and Ünder for Thursday would he interesting! 

Would love to see it.

Because I'm curious.

Because I'd like to see Perez as a striker with his excellent technical ability. Although am suspect of his mentality. 

I'm tired of watching Iheanacho be so ineffective in matches. Starting to aggravate me.

Plan B/C for life without Vardy.

Either way it should work out for you and drive up the traffic on the forum positive or negative.:)

10 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Would love to see it.

Because I'm curious.

Because I'd like to see Perez as a striker with his excellent technical ability. Although am suspect of his mentality. 

I'm tired of watching Iheanacho be so ineffective in matches. Starting to aggravate me.

Plan B/C for life without Vardy.

Either way it should work out for you and drive up the traffic on the forum positive or negative.:)

Yeah Iheanacho has been really poor of late

Fair play to Perez he came in and did a job... but that’s what you need from your squad players... I don’t think I can ever get used to having a 30m squad player though... I’d rather sell him and nacho and get someone who is more in the Vardy mould. That’s not to say either are bad players but our system really is all about Vardy so it makes sense for us to buy someone similar to him...