Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Chelsea Away Post-Match thread

2 completely contrasting halves. 

First half we were slow and going backwards way too much. 

Second half completely opposite. We moved the ball fast, and creating chances. Just lacking that final ball and touch. 

Soyuncu was solid again, couple of rash tackles but mostly absolutely solid.

But poor of Geoff Shreeves interviewing Wilf and Maddison and the first thing he does was ask Wilf about his mistake. 

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I'm happy. Astounded Barnes wasn't brought on though. His direct, quick play was what we needed when Maddison and Tielemans meandered around holding the ball a tiny bit too long. 

I would have loved to have seen Harvey on. So many opportunities were there with a tired Chelsea at the end.

• Like 1

Chelsea should have been more than one up in the first half. We should have scored more than one in the second. Fair result. But our finishing position will depend entirely on whether we play the rest of the season more like the first or second half. And goalscoring could still be a worry.

Two straight first halves tanked due to idiotic lineups, two winnable matches end up as draws as a result.  Obviously the second half was much better here, especially after Praet came on and we blew several chances to win it. But you can’t give away halves in the PL.

As for Chelsea, I think they’re a mid-table team.  Some flair to be sure, but a better side would have carved them up at the back and their keeper looks shaky as fuch.  

Some selected observations:

Madders grew into the game and was excellent as the game wore on. Perez not yet settled. Youri looks off the pace slightly. Praet had a good cameo. Ricardo is still brilliant. Fuchs did well. Both CBs were good after a shaky start. Starting both Hamza and Ndidi isn't forward-thinking enough. Super happy for Big Wilf though: hopefully the goal means he won't dwell on the mistake now. Disappointed not to see Barnes attacking Chelsea when we were looking for the winner.

Overall: Disappointed not to win but after the first 10 minutes a point is very welcome. Avoiding defeat at Stamford Bridge is decent.

• Like 2

Very pleased with a point would have definitely taken that before the game and would have snapped your hand off for a draw after a horrendous opening 10 minutes.

We dominated the second half and really should have won the game had it not been for our profligate finishing.

Lots of positives to take out of the game, hopefully we've warmed up now, still think we need to get more width in the side.

• Like 1

The difference between the two halfs was insane. The worst part about it is I'm not really sure what changed.... Tactically we seemed to be set out the same in both 45's.

Has to be said, I feel silly for doubting big Soyuncu. 

I think people are overstating Chelsea’s dominance of the first half. They had a very good opening fifteen but we were beginning to make it click just before the half. 

I’m hoping that second half gives us some big confidence. We just went for them and it started to work for us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ronnup said:

Perez no good. Not to justify Marc or Barnes being benched. 

At the moment I don't understand the Perez purchase, he doesn't seem technical enough to play a right sided player in this formation, maybe BR sees something and will make us eat our words, it's early days

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phube said:

QFT!! :) 

Honestly the amount of whining in the first half was embarrassing!

It is a 90 minute game!!! Aaaarrrggghhhh....

I feel its a build up of frustration, we were really THAT bad in the first half. And that's a familiar sight in the last 2/3 seasons. 

Would have happily taken a draw before kick off but at the end I can’t help but feel that we missed an opportunity. 

Chelsea weren’t that good first half. We were incredibly poor. A more positive approach to the game as a whole could well have seen us take the 3 points. 

I hope that BR can see the errors  in team selection and learn from his mistakes. 

• Thanks 1