Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Newcastle Pre Match

Some of our players aren’t quite yet up to speed and playing their best stuff yet. For that reason I’d keep the following players in the side:

Perez

Tielemans

Praet

Getting these players in form is important. Albrighton should also start as he’s an important squad player even if not involved today.

I reckon Morgan and Benkovic will be at the back though. 

• Like 2

I honestly wondered whether Rodgers would be able to resist the temptation to play something along the lines of Ward / Justin, Benkovic, Morgan, Chilwell / Gray, Choudhury, Praet, Mendy, Albrighton / Iheanacho. It's a competent enough line-up, the players need game time and most clubs tend not to prioritise cups unless they're lucky enough to drag weakened sides through the first few rounds. Not to mention we don't want to damage our first team's confidence, or pick up injuries etc.

The interview, on the other hand, suggests changes will be minimal. We might see Justin, Albrighton, Barnes, maybe Gray coming in. A few more from off the bench perhaps. I suppose we're taking the view that it's Premier League opposition, the cups are a priority this year, and we can't afford to treat it as a match of secondary importance.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Realistically, we are 3 weeks into a new season - no one needs a rest. We have the first international break coming up too, where the older players Fuchs, Vardy will get a rest anyway m.

The only changes I’d make would be bring in Ward to keep him match sharp just in case he’s required.Benkovic for Evans for the same reason. 

Start Barnes, but that’s a change I’d make anyway.

Lets show early intent and go all out for the cup.

Agree.

I think Newcastle will play a strong side as they stated pre-season they would take the cups seriously for once. I'd rest Evans.

13 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

I'd love to see us go for the cups. 

Simply because (barring a bizarre, Leicester-trademarked, self-inflicted cock-up) we should have no real distractions this season. Solid manager, not in danger of a relegation battle, pushing for 6-8 in the league – but not a disaster if we finish lower – and a relatively large squad eager to impress. 

I'd say go for it 100 per cent. We haven't had a cup run since the Champions League (I can't believe I'm saying that). 

We've had good league cup runs both the last two seasons!

I'd like wholesale changes;

Ward

Ricardo

Benko

Morgan

Chilwell

Mendy

Praet

Tielemans

Gray

Iheanacho

Barnes

Ward

Justin

Morgan

Soyuncu

Fuchs

Mendy (maybe even lashebela?)

Praet

Albrighton

Barnes

Gray

Iheanacho

not sure what the situation is with Mendy if he’s off somewhere so won’t be played. Same with Amartey. Maybe Benkovic will play instead of Soyuncu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCFC FOX said:

Ward

Justin

Morgan

Soyuncu

Fuchs

Mendy (maybe even lashebela?)

Praet

Albrighton

Barnes

Gray

Iheanacho

not sure what the situation is with Mendy if he’s off somewhere so won’t be played. Same with Amartey. Maybe Benkovic will play instead of Soyuncu

I'd be quite happy with that team. Agreed would like to see Benkovic but best to not to rush him back if it's too soon.

8 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Bruce has said that he intends to take the cup competitions seriously so I’d imagine we ourselves will be pretty strong. Won’t be a walkover like some seem to think. 

Newcastle's first 11 is shit, so i wouldn't worry too much. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Newcastle's first 11 is shit, so i wouldn't worry too much. 

Can't say that after today's performance against Spurs, we tend to get battered by Spurs away, but Newcastle's defence played brilliantly and now they seem to have a class striker in Joelinton