Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Newcastle Pre Match

Our Philosophy Doesn’t Change, Says Morgan
FIRST TEAM
Published 1 hr 54 mins ago

Leicester City’s winning mentality will remain the same, regardless of the personnel manager Brendan Rodgers selects to face Newcastle United on Wednesday evening, says skipper Wes Morgan.

- Wes Morgan says a victory against Newcastle United on Wednesday would contribute to Leicester City’s winning philosophy
- Brendan Rodgers’ men take on Newcastle United at St. James Park in the second round of the Carabao Cup
- City have reached the quarter-finals of the competition in their last two campaigns

A Carabao Cup Second Round tie with fellow Premier League outfit Newcastle follows Saturday’s 2-1 victory against Sheffield United, as Harvey Barnes struck the winner at Bramall Lane.

For Morgan, the midweek fixture at St. James’ Park presents City with an opportunity to create momentum and progress in a competition they have fared well in over recent seasons.

“We’ve had discussions in pre-season with the manager and the staff,” Morgan told LCFC TV. “We want a real good cup run this season.

“We face Newcastle on Wednesday and we know it’s not going to be an easy task, but we’ve earmarked the FA Cup and Carabao Cup competitions, where we can go on a bit of a cup run.

Leicester City captain Wes Morgan outlines the Foxes' purposeful approach to Wednesday's Carabao Cup tie at Newcastle United.

“I think if you’re winning all the games you’re playing in, it breeds a winning mentality throughout the team.

“I’m sure there will be a few changes to our normal starting line-up in them games, but the philosophy is the same, which is that we want to win all of the games that we play in and we want to do well.”

City have been unfortunate to exit the Carabao Cup at the quarter-final stage in the previous two seasons, after suffering penalty shootout defeats by eventual winners Manchester City on both occasions.

Discussing his side’s recent fortunes in the competition, Morgan said: “That shows how close we’ve come to getting to that next stage, which would have been the semi-finals after the quarters.

“If you lose to a team like Man City and you take them all the way to penalties and lose, there’s no disgrace there.

Speaking on behalf of everybody, it would be good to have something to celebrate once again, and to have something we’ve accomplished this season so we can look back and say: ‘Yes, we’ve had a good season’.

“Obviously, we would have liked to have gone further, but at the same time, we can hold our heads high and say: ‘You know what, we gave it a good go’.

“This season, hopefully, maybe we won’t face them until the final, but we want a good cup run, that’s the main thing.

“Whoever we get, we want to do our best and win our games. Newcastle won’t be easy, but we want to go far in competitions.”

Having proudly lifted the Premier League trophy aloft on a glorious day in May 2016, Morgan says adding another piece of silverware to the Club’s trophy cabinet would be an indicator of Leicester City’s recent success.

He added: “Speaking on behalf of everybody, it would be good to have something to celebrate once again, and to have something we’ve accomplished this season so we can look back and say: ‘Yes, we’ve had a good season’.”

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1320155/our-philosophy-doesnt-change-says-morgan

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

Our Philosophy Doesn’t Change, Says Morgan
FIRST TEAM
Published 1 hr 54 mins ago

Leicester City’s winning mentality will remain the same, regardless of the personnel manager Brendan Rodgers selects to face Newcastle United on Wednesday evening, says skipper Wes Morgan.

- Wes Morgan says a victory against Newcastle United on Wednesday would contribute to Leicester City’s winning philosophy
- Brendan Rodgers’ men take on Newcastle United at St. James Park in the second round of the Carabao Cup
- City have reached the quarter-finals of the competition in their last two campaigns

A Carabao Cup Second Round tie with fellow Premier League outfit Newcastle follows Saturday’s 2-1 victory against Sheffield United, as Harvey Barnes struck the winner at Bramall Lane.

For Morgan, the midweek fixture at St. James’ Park presents City with an opportunity to create momentum and progress in a competition they have fared well in over recent seasons.

“We’ve had discussions in pre-season with the manager and the staff,” Morgan told LCFC TV. “We want a real good cup run this season.

“We face Newcastle on Wednesday and we know it’s not going to be an easy task, but we’ve earmarked the FA Cup and Carabao Cup competitions, where we can go on a bit of a cup run.

Leicester City captain Wes Morgan outlines the Foxes' purposeful approach to Wednesday's Carabao Cup tie at Newcastle United.

“I think if you’re winning all the games you’re playing in, it breeds a winning mentality throughout the team.

“I’m sure there will be a few changes to our normal starting line-up in them games, but the philosophy is the same, which is that we want to win all of the games that we play in and we want to do well.”

City have been unfortunate to exit the Carabao Cup at the quarter-final stage in the previous two seasons, after suffering penalty shootout defeats by eventual winners Manchester City on both occasions.

Discussing his side’s recent fortunes in the competition, Morgan said: “That shows how close we’ve come to getting to that next stage, which would have been the semi-finals after the quarters.

“If you lose to a team like Man City and you take them all the way to penalties and lose, there’s no disgrace there.

Speaking on behalf of everybody, it would be good to have something to celebrate once again, and to have something we’ve accomplished this season so we can look back and say: ‘Yes, we’ve had a good season’.

“Obviously, we would have liked to have gone further, but at the same time, we can hold our heads high and say: ‘You know what, we gave it a good go’.

“This season, hopefully, maybe we won’t face them until the final, but we want a good cup run, that’s the main thing.

“Whoever we get, we want to do our best and win our games. Newcastle won’t be easy, but we want to go far in competitions.”

Having proudly lifted the Premier League trophy aloft on a glorious day in May 2016, Morgan says adding another piece of silverware to the Club’s trophy cabinet would be an indicator of Leicester City’s recent success.

He added: “Speaking on behalf of everybody, it would be good to have something to celebrate once again, and to have something we’ve accomplished this season so we can look back and say: ‘Yes, we’ve had a good season’.”

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1320155/our-philosophy-doesnt-change-says-morgan

Winning the FA Cup would be the dream, as it would screw over any team finishing 6th - they'd start Europa qualifiers in July. Plus we'd get Europa group stage. 

• Like 4

I get the idea that we need to keep the fringe players happy but my argument here is... what if we go too weak and lose the game? Your ideal situation is you change about 7/8 and win but in a fixture like this I think that's too big a gamble, and surely by risking losing the game, we're actually denying fringe players further chances to play as we won't actually have the games?

We've been unlucky with this draw to be honest. It's normally a Fleetwood or Bury type in this round but the rule changes have given us a dud.

Go strong. 3/4 changes tops. Get it won.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Perez needs a goal. Hopefully see Justin get a run. Good chance for Praet to get involved. 

This is the perfect game for Perez to get off the mark. I'm not saying he's feeling the pressure but he might loosen up a little and play with a bit more freedom and confidence if he does bag one on Wednesday.

19 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

This has probably already been mentioned, and i've missed it, but was N'Didi injured? Can't believe he didn't even make the squad unless there was something wrong. 

If he is, any idea what it is/how long he is out for? 

Slight hamstring injury, likely to be back fit after the international break but knowing Wilf will be back for Saturday.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/27/steve-bruce-newcastle-carabao-cup

Steve Bruce urges Newcastle to carry league momentum into cup campaign

Steve Bruce has pledged to do everything possible to lead Newcastle to domestic cup glory, but his plans are being tested early by injuries and the need to protect players before hosting Watford in the Premier League on Saturday.

Newcastle entertain Leicester City on Wednesday night not having won a major trophy since the European Fairs Cup in 1969. Moreover they are without a domestic prize since 1955 but, under Mike Ashley’s ownership, cups have been low priority with a series of managers apparently happy to accept early exits.

Shortly after succeeding Rafael Benítez, who was not prepared to risk Premier League survival in exchange for cup runs, Bruce vowed to change this mindset – yet he seems set to make wholesale changes against Brendan Rodgers’s side.

Six players – Allan Saint-Maximin, Christian Atsu, Miguel Almirón, Joelinton, Jamaal Lascelles and Fabian Schär – returned from the restorative 1-0 win at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday nursing injuries and appear unlikely to be risked.

With a hamstring injury likely to force Saint-Maximin out for a minimum of three weeks and Andy Carroll and Dwight Gayle sidelined, Bruce’s attacking options have contracted and he is expected to start Yoshinori Muto as Newcastle’s lone forward.

Sean Longstaff, who is regaining full fitness following a serious knee injury, is likely to be rested, leaving room for his younger brother Matty in midfield.

“It’s a squad game now,” Bruce said. “We have 25 players and I still expect to pick a team which is hopefully going to take us through.”

Even so, Bruce will be making more changes than he would have liked in the wake of a win which defused the considerable criticism – and mounting pressure –surrounding his opening two Premier League defeats against Arsenal and Norwich.

“The criticism is something we’ll always have to live with here but the players knew they didn’t play well enough against Norwich, but, on any given day, that can happen to you,” Bruce said. “The response was the most important thing and it was terrific. By beating Tottenham away they’ve set the standard we now need to maintain.”

Joelinton, scorer of the winning goal at Spurs, has a groin injury and is among those ranked extremely doubtful for Leicester’s visit, as is Almirón. “It’s different with a muscle injury,” Bruce said. “If you’re carrying a knock or bruise then of course you might be able to be patched up . But if you have a soft tissue injury like big Joe or Almiron, with his ankle, then it’s always a problem. Those are the ones you worry about.”

The manager was particularly disappointed by the recurrence of hamstring trouble sustained by the former Nice winger Saint-Maximin. “We’ll let the bleed settle on his hamstring and scan it again,” Bruce said. “It’s been a frustrating start for him but, if it’s not too serious, we’d be looking at three weeks out.”

----------------------------

Diddums. 

Genuine question - why has the Newcastle away end not been moved down to the bottom tier as was the Premier League regulations put in a couple of years ago (that away ends had to have at least 1 section in the bottom tier).

I know the initial excuse they gave was that they didn't have time to implement sufficient safety regulations after being promoted from the championship but it's been a few years since then? If anyone knows?

Putting that in the bottom tier would make it an unbelievable away

3 hours ago, Sammy said:

Genuine question - why has the Newcastle away end not been moved down to the bottom tier as was the Premier League regulations put in a couple of years ago (that away ends had to have at least 1 section in the bottom tier).

I know the initial excuse they gave was that they didn't have time to implement sufficient safety regulations after being promoted from the championship but it's been a few years since then? If anyone knows?

Putting that in the bottom tier would make it an unbelievable away

Always thought the same, same for Sunderland also their away end used to be mega when it was the bottom tier.

15 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If he starts over Barnes it better be because Barnes is starting on the weekend...

Or as he needs to prove himself worthy of a place in the squad. Barnes scored the winner and has gone a way to prove he deserves a place. Gray has had 0 game time so makes sense to play him 

11 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Need to get Iheanacho on the pitch, there is a player there who I believe can break into the first team. He had a decent pre season and should be getting more opportunities imo. 

People too quick to write players off.

People haven't been that quick in his case, he'll  be drawing a pension off us soon! He's had far more chances than others and has been a complete dunderhead. I too would give him a run out though on the grounds that we need him to be reasonably match fit in case we get really desperate though I'd suggest we'd play Perez before him if Vardy got injured.

That's some injury list they have, gives BR a bit more wiggle room.

I'd be happy with 5/6 changes, if BR thinks it is necessary. Would like to see Morgan, Albrighton, Mendy, Justin and Barnes start, maybe Demmy if he has done enough in training and it fits whatever system we are trying this time.

I'm presuming Benko isn't quite ready, in saying that.

18 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I get the idea that we need to keep the fringe players happy but my argument here is... what if we go too weak and lose the game? Your ideal situation is you change about 7/8 and win but in a fixture like this I think that's too big a gamble, and surely by risking losing the game, we're actually denying fringe players further chances to play as we won't actually have the games?

We've been unlucky with this draw to be honest. It's normally a Fleetwood or Bury type in this round but the rule changes have given us a dud.

Go strong. 3/4 changes tops. Get it won.

It's always a difficult one for me this, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't as a manager. Logic suggests that you can't play your best players for every league and cup game over a season and that there could be fatigue and a mental attitude consequences for this. Vardy is perhaps a good example of this particularly at his age. Many of us in the summer, have also called for strength in depth in our squad but, how exactly to we get or maintain match fitness and maintain a competitive mental attitude into squad players if they're not given the odd 90 minutes chance to prove themselves. How can we realistically expect an Albrighton, Gray or other player to suddenly come on for a 20 minute cameo appearance in a Premiership game and be expected to put in a game changing Messi like performance? When they fail to do so, some supporters deem it, as to coin a phrase of 'failing to grasp their opportunity' yet I would guess that it's not quite as straight forward as that. How many fans decried the lack of opportunities given to certain players like Silva and Iborra in the past but would have been mortally wounded and so very dramatic on here if they were played and we lost a cup match?

Puel got slaughtered last year for losing against Newport but surely the team he put out that day should have been more than capable of the win? We don't need to boringly regurgitate that one with our 'expert opinions with the benefit of hindsight' but Rodgers, if he made say 5 changes tonight would do so in the belief of gaining both a win and getting some beneficial minutes into those players like Iheanacho and Gray who many of us on here want to see if the can work his almost messiah like coaching magic with. If there was a stark choice between a win or 3 points in the next Premiership game, possibly mindful of injury or fatigue at any particular given juncture in a season, which would you chose? It is of course very subjective and a managers judgement. Of course, like us, a manager wants both and endeavours to deliver.