Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

43 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

All this means is that Hamza will stay around. It may not be what folk want but I reckon that's what will happen. 

Losing Wilf is massive blow....our downturn last season over Christmas and New Year coincided with Wifs knee injury. I’m sure there were stats a while ago showing a huge drop in form when he wasn’t playing.

Regarding  Hamza am I the only one who feels his performances in particular his tenacity in tackles has dropped massively this year.....He was great when he first appeared on the scene and was getting rave reviews from many on here. He was though getting bad publicity from some in the media and other teams managers etc ( Klopp as an example)....Be a shame if he has been affected by this or told to hold back..ie not play his natural game 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irishfoxkev said:

Losing Wilf is massive blow....our downturn last season over Christmas and New Year coincided with Wifs knee injury. I’m sure there were stats a while ago showing a huge drop in form when he wasn’t playing.

Regarding  Hamza am I the only one who feels his performances in particular his tenacity in tackles has dropped massively this year.....He was great when he first appeared on the scene and was getting rave reviews from many on here. He was though getting bad publicity from some in the media and other teams managers etc ( Klopp as an example)....Be a shame if he has been affected by this or told to hold back..ie not play his natural game 

I agree with both of those points. Losing Wilf IS a massive blow and it did heavily effect us last year and Hamza does seen to have lost a bit of his game BUT hopefully Hamza doesn't need to play too much and we feel Wilfs absence a bit less due to an in form Papy Mendy. 

He is no Ndidi but we are starting to see a bit more of why we signed Papy in those first two games. I think he has been excellent. Maybe not as strong in the tackle as Ndidi but he is better on the ball, he recycles possession better and faster and hes is just as mobile. He closes down players and space just as well as Wilf. 

I had actually already thought about how dropping him would be a shame. Mow he gets a bit more time which will definately be a weight off his shoulders. He knows he will play for a few more weeks and I suspect he will get better as the games go on, although there is no doubt I would prefer Wilf against Man City on sunday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Also has poor injury record - and what's he gonna do, play every 3 days?

I think what you’ve done there is write a very serious reply to what was clearly a light hearted comment posted in jest. Good point though and well made. X 

• Like 1

Season's over, here comes the downturn.

Can't wait to see Choudhury filling in at centre-back.

Hopefully Mendy continues improving. N'Didi played a massive role in the first two matches filling in, with big man Evans back here's hoping for the best over the next few weeks. Thank the lord for international fixtures :innocent:

Edited by ScrumpyJack

Yikes. We are the new Arsenal on the injury front. I liked it better when we nearly never had long term injuries. And Wilf is one of our most important players. But as others say, we just won 2 games in the league with Wilf playing as a bit of scare-bomb CB, so others will just have to step up. 

15 hours ago, Ricey said:

Rodgers actual words were “at least 12 weeks” if he needs an operation.

14 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I only saw the article which said 6-12 weeks... That is fcking terrible news!

Read that to mean that Wilf will be out for about (or a minimum of) 6 weeks if he doesn’t need an operation, and at least 12 weeks if he does.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Im in the majority i know ,but i think our midfield might be better this year without Wilf. With preat and mendy far better suited now than the xmas period. Wilfs football ability and ball retention is awful. Hamza needs to move, gone backwards massively

We need cover for mendy... Hamza cant go anywhere  (ref ryan bennet fiasco).

Agree we must play youri and denis infront of  mendy.... barnes one side and under in the other. Hamza on bench.

Ayoze can spend time bulking up in the gym.

.. why hasnt he done this already?

Edited by foxinsocks

17 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Does no-one genuinely think we need to buy?

We are in a tough Premiership campaign as well as the gruelling Europa league with the ‘defensive minded midfielders’ being Mendy, Choudry and Amartey!

We’ll get torn to shreds!

Do you think that might be a slight overreaction?

I wouldn't necessarily say Ndidi is irreplaceable - no player is - but he does the role of DM really well and is, for me, a player and a half. He's excellent at tackling, work-rate and decent enough on the ball that he can get it back up the field. 

Where we can work on that is getting in a good enough CB for cover when Evans/ Cags need a rest, with Mendy holding position in front with a good ball player always able to receive something he lays off. 

I've no doubt we'll have some real scares in the next few months (and likely a few to come this weekend) BUT if we can get a CB that's good enough then we've got workable solutions. 

1 hour ago, Claridge said:

Im in the majority i know ,but i think our midfield might be better this year without Wilf. With preat and mendy far better suited now than the xmas period. Wilfs football ability and ball retention is awful. Hamza needs to move, gone backwards massively

Dilemma is that playing Praet and Mendy together would most likely mean dropping one of Tielemans or Maddison if we play as we most often set up the team. Alternatively, playing only one of Praet or Mendy (more likely and/or more often Mendy) with Tielemans and Maddison would necessitate one or both of the latter dropping deeper to help out defensively, limiting their effectiveness.

Wilf’s greatest “football ability” for this team is freeing our primary creatives (Tielemans and Maddison) to do what they do best. And as for “ball retention”, he competes 85% of his passes (ie, over 4 out of every 5 passes) and while these may not be overly ambitious, forward, defence-splitting or fanciful passes it nonetheless means that he enables to us to successfully retain the ball 85% of the time he gets it.

Edited by NaijaFox

32 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I should be laughing at this but the punctuation has me slightly riled lol

It's a coded message for "where's High Peak Fox".

Just wondering where you should have put your full stop, before or after the emoji?

Edited by norwichfox

28 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I should be laughing at this but the punctuation has me slightly riled lol

In my defense, I made the post at work with my facemask on, which makes my glasses steam up. And when you're looking through steamed up glasses, commas look like full stops and vice versa. I'm amazed the spelling is correct tbf.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Manini said:

Why do all our serious **** off injury’s always happen so innocuously as well by the way? Ricardo trots off the pitch after playing 90, yeah sorry lads, done his ACL there he’s buggered. 

N’didi as well. Didn’t even look like he was injured and now he’s crocked enough to be out until basically ****ing Christmas. 

Fuming me I’m going for an angry pace up and down my balcony. 

I noticed that too. I can't tell if it's Rodgers saying "play through it" or whatever. I didn't even think anything to Ndidi or Ricardo's injuries at first and it's ruled them out months.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I noticed that too. I can't tell if it's Rodgers saying "play through it" or whatever. I didn't even think anything to Ndidi or Ricardo's injuries at first and it's ruled them out months.

It’s so frustrating. In a weird way you wouldn’t mind as much if it was a big crunching tackle that causes it, but I think the fact they’ve both finished the game, then it’s revealed that they’re out for such a long period of time after makes it hard to calculate in your mind just what the frig has gone on. 

4 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

We need cover for mendy... Hamza cant go anywhere  (ref ryan bennet fiasco).

Agree we must play youri and denis infront of  mendy.... barnes one side and under in the other. Hamza on bench.

Ayoze can spend time bulking up in the gym.

.. why hasnt he done this already?

With reference to Pérez and bulking up - he’s a stronger build than Mahrez and he was still decent. I think it’s more mental with Pérez. He is a good player but needs to be tougher in the 50:50s. Brendans job to tell him this

• Like 1