Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Most clubs will see this season as nothing more than treading water and trying not to mess up too much. Little prep, packed fixtures, massive holes in budgets, potential Covid squad disruption at any moment. 

Yet I see little understanding on these forums, just moans about not spending loads of money we probably don't have. 

Continuing in the Carabou cup would COST the club money. Prize money for this round was £10,000, next round £15,000, quarters and semis £25,000. Probably costs the club more in putting on the game and I'm sure it will cost more in player game bonuses. I bet they are glad to be out of it. 

The way Perez dealt with that late chance, you’d think they had instructions to go out ! 

• Haha 2

I wonder if the news in the media yesterday that Choudhury is available is a push to try and sell him to fund a move for another midfielder.

It’s clear Rodgers doesn’t rate him and we were linked with a lot of defensive midfielders prior to resigning Mendy.

I like Mendy but we missed Ndidi so much last season and the thought of being without him until Christmas is gut wrenching.

• Like 1

OK so best case scenario he's out until the Leeds game. Looking at those games:

Man City - likely to lose regardless

West Ham - likely to win regardless

Villa - likely to win regardless

Arsenal - borderline

Leeds - borderline

So staying optimistic and realistic it's the last two we'll miss him most for. Just fingers crossed our shattered medical team can patch him up pronto. Can we get Uncle Nige back to rebuild our sports science team?

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

OK so best case scenario he's out until the Leeds game. Looking at those games:

Man City - likely to lose regardless

West Ham - likely to win regardless

Villa - likely to win regardless

Arsenal - borderline

Leeds - borderline

So staying optimistic and realistic it's the last two we'll miss him most for. Just fingers crossed our shattered medical team can patch him up pronto. Can we get Uncle Nige back to rebuild our sports science team?

From what I can tell the sports science team is pretty much the same since the Pearson era, with Paul Balsom and Matt Reeves still here.

This injury to Ndidi is more likely down to the lack of a proper pre season. Whereas the injuries at the end of last season felt like they were exacerbated by rushing players back or not taking them off when the injury occurred.

• Like 2

Damn what a blow. Mendy has been playing well and think he can do a job, certainly versus teams where we expect to have more possession. Of course Ndidi is one of the best in the division so anyone would miss him. Time for Mendy and Hamza to step up or maybe consider a short term loan backup too. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Does it? 

I’m not quite sure how any can glean much from it, because changing your entire team to one that’s never played together before pretty much always leads to a disjointed performance.

Our squad has plenty of options. An injury / Make shift team has already swept aside two teams this season. You generally only (unless you are unlucky) have two or three starters out.

We have plenty to cope with a couple of injuries. Will we be as good, no. How many teams are when they lose starting 11 players?

ST: Vardy / Iheanacho / Perez

Wing: Barnes, Under, Perez, Albrighton, Gray

AM: Maddison, Tielemans, Praet

DM: Ndidi, Mendy, Hamza

Fullback: Ricardo, Castagne, Justin, Thomas, Fuchs, Amartey

CB: Evans, Soyuncu, New CB, Morgan, Benkovic.

Yes there is the obvious CB that’s needed and because of make up of our full backs there are question marks there.

We aren’t Manchester City who can collect £60m players for the bench. So I have no idea what you expect the club to do.

I suppose you’re right, there are options.

Unfortunately about 6 or 7 of them aren’t fancied and have been touted about trying to get rid this summer by the club, fans and media but they’re options, we’ll be fine.

I said in a thread regarding getting rid of Gray the other week that I don’t think we can afford to because of lack of depth, this strengthens my point, especially given there was talk of Gray and Choudhury leaving yesterday.

54 minutes ago, Bert said:

I don’t think so. Yes he’ll be a massive miss because of how good he is. But we’ve got through the first two games in the league without him playing there. We will play Mendy there with Choudhury as his back up. Praet could even do a job there. Big blow yes, end of the world, no. 

All I’m trying to do is eliminate or cut down the use for excuses because I don’t want to hear them, we heard enough for the end of the last season after the restart, I hoped we could learn, not give ourselves the excuses but here we are.

Thankfully we re-signed Mendy. That was abit of foresight I suppose and I’m genuine in saying that, equally it says a lot about where we are.

Edited by Matt

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry, Babs, but you can't possibly mean that. 

I know Matt is the forum's eeyore and could do with being a bit more optimistic sometimes but going full on hard in the other direction is just as Classic FT Stupid. 

You know you've started under mining your own point when you're naming Amartey, Fuchs, Thomas, Gray, Benkovic and Morgan to try and pad out your idea of our "plentiful" squad. 

Our having a lack of strength in depth is pretty much the one unifying factor most of us can agree on, having literally just watched our previous season collapse due to it. 

You can counter Matt's complaints by pointing out any team in the league would miss Ndidi and that nobody has a like replacement for someone so good at his position as he is without going full Donald Trump about it. 

FAKE NEWS! LCFC actually has bigliest squad in EPL league! Fuchs! Morgan! Amartey world class. SLIMANI! 

I said there were question marks over two positions in the main, CB and FULL Back, one of which we're actively seeking a player for at this moment, so I'm taking it that it will be filled before the window closes. He was making out every single position was in trouble with a single injury. That's not the case, not in the slightest.

I also don't think our season collapsed just because of injury. We played like dog muck before injuries started to strike. We just saw when we played some half decent football in two games with a makeshift team, that we have the capability in the squad to be competitive even with injuries.

If any team loses 6 starting players they are going to struggle. That's not really squad strength being the issue, no club our size can combat an injury crisis like that and come out unscathed. In the main you will have 2 or 3 players out injured and our squad has options in most positions to cover that. 

As for Amartey, Fuchs, Thomas, Gray, Benkovic and Morgan, they are mostly what 4th choice players? Where they only play when you rack up a number of injuries at the same time in similar positions. 

Presuming we get a CB, my only concern is full back seeing as we don't know what state Ricardo will come back in... or when he will be back!

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

We have at least 4 to 5 players who are either fringe players at best, or their futures lie away from the King Power Stadium. We could even see a couple more leave before the transfer window closes, and I fear that the likes of Slimani, Silva, Ghezzal and Diabate will be here until the end of their contracts, purely because no-one wants them. For some reason, we always seem to take our sweet time looking around whilst our rivals strengthen by the week.

If it was not for the signing of Timothy Castagne, I would have predicted us to finish in the bottom half, around 11th-12th because of the added distraction of European football, with our Premier League campaign faltering as a result. The Foxes falling at the first hurdle last night in the Carabao Cup may well be that blessing in disguise, and may well improve our fortunes down the line.

One thing we can all agree on is the club's symptomatic lack of strength in depth beyond the starting XI, has been a problem for years because we have never had the resources. Established Premier League club we may be, but consistently breaching the Top 6 is still well beyond us at the moment without proper investment in the team. Anyone who thinks otherwise, and is perfectly satisfied with what we have, are kidding themselves.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I suppose you’re right, there are options.

Unfortunately about 6 or 7 of them aren’t fancied and have been touted about trying to get rid this summer by the club, fans and media but they’re options, we’ll be fine.

I said in a thread regarding getting rid of Gray the other week that I don’t think we can afford to because of lack of depth, this strengthens my point, especially given there was talk of Gray and Choudhury leaving yesterday.

All I’m trying to do is eliminate or cut down the use for excuses because I don’t want to hear them, we heard enough for the end of the last season after the restart, I hoped we could learn, not give ourselves the excuses but here we are.

Thankfully we re-signed Mendy. That was abit of foresight I suppose and I’m genuine in saying that, equally it says a lot about where we are.

We’re expected to lose on Sunday, with or without Wilf. My only gripe will be if we set up with too much respect for Man City. I’d rather lose and play our way having a go, then setting up to just let them try and break us down all game. 

• Like 1

For me highlights the need for a CB even more, not to get a replacement DM. 

We'll actually have a stronger team on the pitch Sunday than the one that's played in the first two games as the defence will have Evans in instead of Ndidi. 

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bert said:

We’re expected to lose on Sunday, with or without Wilf. My only gripe will be if we set up with too much respect for Man City. I’d rather lose and play our way having a go, then setting up to just let them try and break us down all game. 

I disagree. Didn't we get a double battering late last December with this approach? We didn't show Man City or Liverpool enough respect and we paid the price. Those two defeats put an abrupt end to our fine form and dented our confidence beyond repair for the rest of the season.

I'd rather we came away with a point from an overly cautious performance than be on the wrong end of another buggering.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

I disagree. Didn't we get a double battering late last December with this approach? We didn't show Man City or Liverpool enough respect and we paid the price. Those two defeats put an abrupt end to our fine form and dented our confidence beyond repair for the rest of the season.

I'd rather we came away with a point from an overly cautious performance than be on the wrong end of another buggering.

I think Man City away, we went with the right attitude took the lead then shut up shop and just played right into their hands. 

• Like 3