Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Mendy

Mandy could walk into half the teams in the Prem. I reckon he would improve west ham. Very tidy player who will not let you down. I'm not sure he would want to be a bit player here so I doubt we would offer him a new contract. I could see him going back to France to play in a good mid table team.

I wonder- I would argue he is ...probably the best signing of that horrible summer of 2016 (Slim did contribute some vital goals in the Champions League season to be fair) 

• Like 3

I agree with the sentiment here. He is a good footballer who can be in the first team for quite a few EPL clubs. It goes to show our depth when we have him and Hamza regularly not even making the bench plus we still have Silva (a full Portuguese international doing well at Monaco) on loan! Praet in fairness is next in line for a starting role after Maddison and Tielemans (the latter needs some bench time too). 

He is a decent squad player to have and ideally we can keep him. But we can’t. He is in prime age of his career and would want to play regular football. We got 4 years out of him at his prime age being a decent squad player - we have done well. For these sort of squad players - which is an essential part of a modern day successful club - keeping them for 4 years is unfortunately pretty much the max before a replacement needs to be found. We have one already in Hamza who is not as good as Mendy yet but will come through, so our next target is to bring someone to be just after Hamza in the production train.

It is different to regular first team members whom we must do our utmost to keep and grow with. (First up, please please sign Ricardo up to a long long term deal!).

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, John12345 said:

The unexpected appearance might have been to remind other clubs of his ability too and value in January . Marketing. Let's see. 

It may well be good marketing but first and foremost Rodgers must have thought he is good enough. I agree though that if Rodgers was approaching the game with a longer term view he may have started Praet but I suppose Mendy was equally good enough and was determined knowing that it was his chance to be on the shop window so Rodgers gave him a start with all that in mind. It would be nice to keep him but we have gotten quite a bit out of him already during his prime footballing age as a squad player so unless he gets promoted to be a regular first team member it is unfortunately time that he moves on. 

Hes a good player but hes battling with Hammy and Wilfred so someone has had to miss out. Not to mention the disastrous game v Arsenal 2016.

Despite a decent show v West Ham Its unlikely he will play for us much more. Unless Wilf gets injured. The midfield options are just too strong. 

That said it would be interesting how he'd get on alongside Maddison, Tielemans etc

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 23:26, Tom12345 said:

I agree with the sentiment here. He is a good footballer who can be in the first team for quite a few EPL clubs. It goes to show our depth when we have him and Hamza regularly not even making the bench plus we still have Silva (a full Portuguese international doing well at Monaco) on loan! Praet in fairness is next in line for a starting role after Maddison and Tielemans (the latter needs some bench time too). 

He is a decent squad player to have and ideally we can keep him. But we can’t. He is in prime age of his career and would want to play regular football. We got 4 years out of him at his prime age being a decent squad player - we have done well. For these sort of squad players - which is an essential part of a modern day successful club - keeping them for 4 years is unfortunately pretty much the max before a replacement needs to be found. We have one already in Hamza who is not as good as Mendy yet but will come through, so our next target is to bring someone to be just after Hamza in the production train.

It is different to regular first team members whom we must do our utmost to keep and grow with. (First up, please please sign Ricardo up to a long long term deal!).

Of course the situation could change next year. If we're in the Champions League everybody's going to be getting game time. 

On 30/12/2019 at 01:43, Pete from the USA said:

Everyone's talking about moving Mendy on to a new club. But if we're in the Champions League next season we may need him.

His contract is up in the summer.  It's unlikely that he would want to sign a new one when he doesn't even make the bench most weeks.  He will most likely leave on a free.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

We can't expect him to hang around not playing , he is too good for that and at 27 hasn't got time to waste . His contract being up soon we could get a reasonable fee for him this month.

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We can't expect him to hang around not playing , he is too good for that and at 27 hasn't got time to waste . His contract being up soon we could get a reasonable fee for him this month.

He’s just made his second appearance in a week. That’s the whole idea of squad depth, and he will get a lot more games if we make a decent FA Cup run, not to mention the probability of Europe next season. Get him in!

If he's happy to be a bit part player then by all means keep him.

But he'll surely not be happy with 3 or 4 games a season at his age.

Worth keeping around as his recent performances has surely merited it.