Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Mendy

Guest An Sionnach
7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well he wasn’t last season......perhaps he’s done some gym work since then .....not seen enough of him to judge 

Like a lot of short footballers you have to work hard on strength training and he looks pretty solid on the ball now.

He was superb last night, more effective infact than Ndidi was when he came on. Ndidi had a rusty game by his standards (fair enough given his injury) but just showed what an asset Mendy could have been for us in other circumstances. We will lose him for nothing in the summer and he will be a shrewd signing for almost all french sides. We have little chance of keeping him I think.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He was superb last night, more effective infact than Ndidi was when he came on. Ndidi had a rusty game by his standards (fair enough given his injury) but just showed what an asset Mendy could have been for us in other circumstances. We will lose him for nothing in the summer and he will be a shrewd signing for almost all french sides. We have little chance of keeping him I think.

Any newly promoted side would be wise to snap him up, fans want big money signings but players like Mendy keep you up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Any newly promoted side would be wise to snap him up, fans want big money signings but players like Mendy keep you up.

Not sure about that. He’s good, but it’s thing to look great surrounded by quality, but may be an entirely different proposition on a struggling team.

40 odd games for us since joining 3 or 4 seasons ago, loaned out and just 27 years of age. Id give him another deal because he gives us that "Quarter=back" player who can pass the ball and tick things over. OK defensively he wont offer anything in either box and winning the ball isnt his strength but he is competent and an option. I think he is more useful against teams who sit deep as he can dictate play. The thing is I cant see him staying as at 27, he will attract a decent club and a strong salary/signing on fee as a Bosman.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Not sure about that. He’s good, but it’s thing to look great surrounded by quality, but may be an entirely different proposition on a struggling team.

On 23/01/2020 at 10:21, Stadt said:

Hard to score goals if you can't keep the ball. Mendy knows how to keep the ball and direct it to a teammate who is in a position to assist in scoring goals.

Reminds me of Joe Allen at Swansea/Liverpool. Doing the dirty work that is only respected by his manager and teammates.

6 hours ago, Analysethis said:

40 odd games for us since joining 3 or 4 seasons ago, loaned out and just 27 years of age. Id give him another deal because he gives us that "Quarter=back" player who can pass the ball and tick things over. OK defensively he wont offer anything in either box and winning the ball isnt his strength but he is competent and an option. I think he is more useful against teams who sit deep as he can dictate play. The thing is I cant see him staying as at 27, he will attract a decent club and a strong salary/signing on fee as a Bosman.

Like you say the ball will be in his court come the summer.He will be able to command a decent wage from any possible suiter.We were never going to recoup any money for him this transfer window.Rodgers has said he’ll be off at the end of the season,but will use him up until then.He knows the lad needs first team football,though I hope he changes his mind.Mendy must be gutted he’s gone and got injured.

6 hours ago, SO1 said:

Hard to score goals if you can't keep the ball. Mendy knows how to keep the ball and direct it to a teammate who is in a position to assist in scoring goals.

Reminds me of Joe Allen at Swansea/Liverpool. Doing the dirty work that is only respected by his manager and teammates.

Agree! But point remains that not even Mendy can "keep" the ball forever or in isolation. Ultimately, there have to be enough quality players to move it onto. Solid player nonetheless. 

I don't understand the calls for a contract extension, he's been nothing more than ok since he signed. He does seem better than Choudhury at the moment specifically receiving the ball from defence and moving the ball but that's not enough to keep hold of him. He's also injury prone look what happens when asked to play a few games.

• 3 months later...

I think a year's extension would suit both parties. Teams aren't going to be able to chop and change their squads massively - even if he were to sign someone on a free, he's an injury prone unglamorous player that would have been on a decent wedge. Won't be a priority signing for clubs in the market.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I think a year's extension would suit both parties. Teams aren't going to be able to chop and change their squads massively - even if he were to sign someone on a free, he's an injury prone unglamorous player that would have been on a decent wedge. Won't be a priority signing for clubs in the market.

All teams will be under a very tight transfer budget, and therefore any half decent player available on a free will be inundated with offers. There's no way we would be willing to match the sign on bonus and contracts he'll be offered elsewhere, especially as we already have Hamza for the bench.