Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Mendy

On 26/04/2020 at 07:56, Vindaloo FOX said:

Knowing us we let Mendy go and offer James a new contract.

I think with this Covid-19 situation playing havoc with all Clubs' income/expenses, we may not see these unexplainable and sentimental contract extensions being handed out like confetti at a wedding come this summer.  We may now have to look for value for money and promote from the Under 23's. The gravy trains in the EPL may be derailed.

would actually like him to stay. a solid, tidy player who has had some incredible bad luck with injuries etc. With CL (hopefully) next year he could be an invaluable stand in for Wilf or to play alongside him when we need to shore things up. I do however suspect that the total lack of any rumours around a new contract over the last twelve months are a sure indication that he has already made up his mind that he is going and has told the powers that be that he does not want to stay. Although there were one or two murmerings of a move back to France last summer, he probably felt that he could get a better deal for himself if he waited and went on a free.

I am sure that had he been offered a new deal we would have heard something about it. Nobody has actually said he is surplus to requirements and the player has not actually expressed any burning desire to leave but both he and the club have been unusually tight lipped with neither giving any hint either way.

I would keep him, but wish him well if he does decide to move on.

• Like 1

I don't think it suits him to stay here, at his age he needs to be playing and being a free agent it gives him and his agent a chance to get a juicy sign on bonus and probably a return to him home country.

He's been unlucky here but he won't get game time and although he's a decent, dependable player, he's also replaceable.

Best of luck to him if he is off. Wish we'd have got more out of him

• Like 1

Hope he signs for another year or 2, i like Mendy he is a handy player to have as a squad player. I would imagine it would perhaps be beneficial for both him and us to stay for another year or 2 as i doubt clubs will be spending big on players this summer and if he was to sign for 2 years if we sold after a year then we would at least be getting some money back than going on a free. 

• Like 2

I think he is a very handy holding midfielder. Excellent at keeping possession and a very solid passer (no he doesn't just pass backwards or two metres to the side). I think he could be an asset as a squad player but he could start for plenty of teams around Europe so he will probably go. I wish him well.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Tanner's article on The Athletic he's off with Turkey or Italy being the destination - he's not (or won't) be offered a new deal by LCFC.

Best of luck Papy. He'll be one of a few departures this summer by the looks of it.

Not a bad player but fighting for a position that has lots of quality competition. Unfortunately when he did get his chance I seem to remember a handful of game where he was so abysmal that it's stuck in the mind, but to be fair he's been reliable when called upon since.

He'll do well forever he plays for I have no doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Not a bad player but fighting for a position that has lots of quality competition. Unfortunately when he did get his chance I seem to remember a handful of game where he was so abysmal that it's stuck in the mind, but to be fair he's been reliable when called upon since.

He'll do well forever he plays for I have no doubt. 

Sounds like someone's getting a bargain.

:P

Hmm, if he is leaving id rather it was his decision rather than us thinking we dont need him.

He would be key in a squad that had european commitments.

Its not like he would only get minutes in domestic cup competitions.

Surely he'd get plenty of league games when others are tired or injured?

If, as has been suggested, that the next season will start about a week after this one has finished. We're going to have in effect the longest season we've ever had. All the premier league clubs are going to need bigger squads. Mendy would be a good player to hold on to in that case. It's whether he'd be happy to stay under those circumstances.

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If, as has been suggested, that the next season will start about a week after this one has finished. We're going to have in effect the longest season we've ever had. All the premier league clubs are going to need bigger squads. Mendy would be a good player to hold on to in that case. It's whether he'd be happy to stay under those circumstances.

I've thought for a while that signing him up to another year gives us the option of keeping him or letting him go but getting a fee, however small, for him. I still think we could get a couple of million.

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

I've thought for a while that signing him up to another year gives us the option of keeping him or letting him go but getting a fee, however small, for him. I still think we could get a couple of million.

If he can leave on a free, he'll get a larger signing on fee though, so from his POV it'd make more sense to leave.

• 1 month later...

https://le10sport.com/football/mercato/exclu-mercato-asse-mendy-accepte-de-discuter-avec-leicester-510407

Courted by ASSE, which is struggling to build a financial proposal that meets its expectations, Nampalys Mendy received an offer from Leicester to extend his contract. Discussions have just started.

Driven by Claude Puel , who knows him very well and who really wants him, ASSE is trying to recruit Nampalys Mendy . Free of any contract since the end of his lease with Leicester, the midfielder has several offers in Europe. As revealed by le10sport.com , the former Nice is courted in Italy as in Turkey. But to everyone's surprise, he received an offer from Leicester to stay.

According to our information, Nampalys Mendy and his representatives have entered a new phase since discussions have just started with Leicester . If the offer has not yet been accepted, the midfielder plans to continue with the Foxes . A new trend in this matter. For ASSE , it's another new element to try to forget Nampalys Mendy . The Greens do not have the resources to be able to live up to the demands of the player

Dodgy translation but sounds like he will be staying. 2-3 year contract I'd imagine?

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Solid experienced backup to Wilf , wish he was a few inches taller mind , any replacement would be expensive and unwilling to sit on the bench.