Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Mendy

Hope we don’t sell him in January. Could still have a role to play this year.

I think we could use him in a similar role to the second half of last season. Brendan would usually sub Mendy on when we were a couple goals up. He’d simply recycle the ball and calm everything down.

In the past 2 games against Liverpool/Man City we questioned if we need an experienced player in the middle. Well we already have one in Mendy. May aswell make use of his skillsets until his contract is up and then re-evaluate in the summer. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane said:

Hope we don’t sell him in January. Could still have a role to play this year.

I think we could use him in a similar role to the second half of last season. Brendan would usually sub Mendy on when we were a couple goals up. He’d simply recycle the ball and calm everything down.

In the past 2 games against Liverpool/Man City we questioned if we need an experienced player in the middle. Well we already have one in Mendy. May aswell make use of his skillsets until his contract is up and then re-evaluate in the summer. 

The issue is that his contract is running out so if we can get a fee for him I am sure we will take it. Also he's clearly a good player and though he might not fit into our first team, he's more than good enough to be in someone's first team. Dare I say it, West Ham would have killed to have someone like him in their team today instead of the hapless Carlos Sanchez!

He's only had one start all season and I'm sure he will want to play regular first team football. That might require going back to Ligue 1, but I don't think we'd stand in his way if an offer comes in. I personally think that was his last appearance for us and he goes in the window. Perhaps he gets one more swansong in the FA Cup against Wigan, but then he'll be off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

The issue is that his contract is running out so if we can get a fee for him I am sure we will take it. Also he's clearly a good player and though he might not fit into our first team, he's more than good enough to be in someone's first team. Dare I say it, West Ham would have killed to have someone like him in their team today instead of the hapless Carlos Sanchez!

He's only had one start all season and I'm sure he will want to play regular first team football. That might require going back to Ligue 1, but I don't think we'd stand in his way if an offer comes in. I personally think that was his last appearance for us and he goes in the window. Perhaps he gets one more swansong in the FA Cup against Wigan, but then he'll be off.

Yeah for sure. Tbh i’m probably being overly optimistic about Mendy’s future, especially when you consider Choudhury & Praet can also play the impact sub. 

I think he was a good servant for us last season, bar a few bad games around January time I think it was. But like you say if theres cash on the table it’ll be hard to turn down. 

Can’t fault him today. Really can’t.

Is he happy playing a bit part though? that’s the big question..

We’ll happily dig our heels in over a match winner ( Mahrez) but i can’t help thinking that if he wants regular football he’ll be gone in January.

And that’s a shame as he’s just what we need from a squad player.... but he won’t sign  a new contract and i don’t imagine we’ll let him run down his current one- we seem more business-savvy than that..

Edited by MPH

Mendy's a good squad player, I'm sure he's a positive to train with to keep the squad sharp and when needed today he provided the goods. I think Hamza had a bigger impact today though and while Mendy played well Wham were absolute bobbins and duely sacked their manager after failing to challenge our second string.

So I think behind the scenes he'll be a miss but I cant see him getting many opportunities here which his talent & age merits somewhere at least. But he's certainly replaceable.

It was unlucky how it started with us, the injury against Arsenal in 2016 and the long time on the mend, then Puel played him but when given the important squad

role he was found lacking, particularly closing down shots from the edge of the box which we leaked heavily with him always out of position or waggling one of his thicc legs at thin air.

Attract a buyer, get the wage gone, wish him the best and recruit. Agree with others, he'd be great at a lower mid-table club like Watford/Southampton

Looking at Mendy yesterday he was everything Tielemens hasn't been of late. Quicker on ball, sharper with passing, energetic, combative.  Was really impressed and personally would start him again over Tielemens who in truth could be given more time to recover, assuming its fatigue holding him back.

• Like 1

I personally think Brendan thought he is good enough to do a job yesterday, but also put him in the shop window for potential suitors in the Jan window. No business wants to let their assets go for nothing. With Praet arriving in the summer it signalled that he isn't in the managers long term plans otherwise we would have tied him down long term by now. I wouldn't expect to see him v Wigan either as that would cup tie him for any new English team interested. 

Good luck to him in my opinion. Could see Puel being very interested in Jan. 

Played well. Always solid and intelligent. Shows our quality when he cannot get a regular start. He really is a good player just not first choice for our current style which limits his opportunities but doesn’t make him poor. He has been unfortunate with injury at the start of his career with us and got overtaken in the pecking order during his long recovery. Will do a great job for someone and hope he gets a good move if not offered a new deal here.

Lot of negativity with his selection and the groans and moans about only playing back and sideways. Did a real solid job for me and is part of a 25 man squad that means 7 do not make the match day 18 every game and sadly for him he falls into that category. Does not make him a bad player just someone lower down in the pecking order. Set up plenty of forward moves yesterday and also the knack of passing the ball to someone wearing the same colour shirt in a greatly undervalued skill. Also seems to have the ability of changing the speed of a game and playing football at the tempo you want and not the opposition is a big advantage. Also must be useful in training seasons and being able to have players slot in playing the same system is important. Keeping a squad happy is a skill and BR seems to have that so a bloody good squad player

• Like 1

He honestly isn't a bad player. He's a good option to have. Nothing too fancy but he's very handy for someone like us retaining the ball, recycles the ball well, at a decent pace and you need that to keep the ball.

Not saying he should be starting games but I'd happily have him on the bench pretty much every game, always handy to bring on if we're winning.

• Like 2

Start of 17/18 he was standout for us….

Remember him being MOTM v Wolves in the first game of that season…

It says a lot that many weren’t surprised that he was good (again) yesterday 

The truth is that he’s always been decent but either been injured or unfancied…

Hope he goes, as he deserves to be starting somewhere and at a reasonable level…. It must be miserable not getting a look in when your career is so short