Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Mendy

Unlucky in that he got a serious injury right at the start of his career here, which left us with a massive hole to fill in the following January window, hence we brought in Wilf (I am sure at the time as a temporary stop gap/squad filler) who just turned out to be the second best player in that position in the league and the ideal replacement for the first, which was of course what Mendy was originally drafted in for.

I think it took him a long while to get his confidence back after such an horrific injury spell, by which time of course Wilf had established himself as one of the first names on the team sheet, and we had Hamza breaking through.  I do genuinely feel sorry for the chap. he is a decent player and would do a more than adequate job in the PL for somebody. We just happen to be overly blessed with talent in that position at the moment.

It just goes to show that a footballers lot is not always a bed of roses. If he had not sustained that injury early doors we would never had signed Wilf and he would still, in most probability be our first choice DM (albeit looking over his shoulder at the emerging Choudhary) and probably would have had his contract extended by now.  As it stands he is most likely going to be looking for a new club in January/next summer.  I personally wish him well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Ranieri was desperate to sign him in the summer of 2015 and had to be strongly persuaded to have Kante instead, who NP/CS/SW had spent some time scouting and lining up.

He finally got his way when Kante departed.

Strange but true ..... that Kante guy really buggered up Claudio's master plan

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'm guessing he's on a 4 year deal so will be a free agent next summer. He's been treated very harshly but the emergence of Hamza Choudhury means it's a case of either developing a young player with massive potential who is a Leicester fan and emerging hero, or persevere with a player with an expiring contract. Funnily enough, Rodgers chose the former.

Mendy is a decent player, but he never set the world alight as part of the double pivot or in his games he played under Rodgers. Perhaps that's being harsh because of the system and tactics Puel employed, but he was signed as Kante's replacement, and the true replacement is of course Wilfred Ndidi. I also think that unlike some other players, he can't really blame not being treated fairly as he had a long run in the team. 

That said I am surprised there was no interest in him in the summer. Mendy would be a good player for many teams in the Premier League, even some midtable ones. He's solid but unspectacular, but some players like that are needed in every team.

Harsh to say we treated him harshly IMO - we were right to go all out for Wilf in December 2016 as Mendy was crocked. Wilf immediately made himself undroppable and despite Claudio trying to shoehorn Mendy in, there just ended up being no place for him in the side. Shakespeare was right to go back to our title winning basics when he took over, and was right to send him off on loan for a season to get game time as he wouldn't have got much game time with Iborra and Silva in front of him (this was before the Silva debacle).

I personally quite liked him last season under Puel - it's just him and Wilf together just rarely worked and stifled our creativity. You're right about Hamza though - like Wilf, it's a no-brainer to go with youth, especially if Hamza's an emerging local hero.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Not good enough.

We now have five players trying to get into those three CM positions but those five are all higher end PL quality in Ndidi, Choudhury, Maddison, Tielemans and Praet. 

It's exactly what BR wants, a smaller squad of about 20 genuine players who can come in and perform without an obvious drop in quality. 

Harsh.

Yes, he's got no future here as it stands, but we've got one of the best midfields in England at the moment. Who's to say that if he hadn't been beset by injuries and had a decent run in the team he wouldn't have flourished? No one can say, cos it didn't happen, but he showed promise in some of his cameos.

56 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Unlucky in that he got a serious injury right at the start of his career here, which left us with a massive hole to fill in the following January window, hence we brought in Wilf (I am sure at the time as a temporary stop gap/squad filler). 

Not a chance we got Wilf in as a stop gap, we'd scouted him for over a year before spending the best part of twenty million quid on him

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Bazly said:

Mendy contract is up in June 2020. Not a lot of time to sell him so increasingly looking like a free transfer outcome. Unless, like James did, he magics up a new 4 year hospital contract.

I'd say he'll be off on loan in January with a view to a permanent. We may have to give him an extension though just to protect our investment. 

He's been unfortunate here in that the team has gone up a level since we signed him. 

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

I'd say he'll be off on loan in January with a view to a permanent. We may have to give him an extension though just to protect our investment. 

He's been unfortunate here in that the team has gone up a level since we signed him. 

Absolutely. And his horrific injury meant that he was already a step behind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

No contract extension please.

The time to sell him was in the summer and if we couldn't offload him then it's pointless offering him a new one now in the hope of selling him later. He's deadwood here now with Ndidi and Choudhury way ahead of him. You win some you lose in the transfer market but he offers this squad very little now and he needs to leave ASAP. 

Just now, Gerard said:

The time to sell him was in the summer and if we couldn't offload him then it's pointless offering him a new one now in the hope of selling him later. He's deadwood here now with Ndidi and Choudhury way ahead of him. You win some you lose in the transfer market but he offers this squad very little now and he needs to leave ASAP. 

Exactly, we didn't sell him in the summer I assume due to the late arrival of Praet. But the time now is to loan him out or sell him. At this point I don't want to tie him down to a contract, it doesn't make financial sense and it isn't fair frankly to keep him with little to no chance of even making the bench. 

It's a shame as I'm sure he is a decent player, just had rotten luck with injuries and the progression of players like Wilf and Hamza.  

10 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Agreed, But I don't see the Club just righting off 13 MIL. I suspect he'll go on loan with a view to a permanent. 

15 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Agreed, But I don't see the Club just righting off 13 MIL. I suspect he'll go on loan with a view to a permanent. 

Forget the £13m, that's gone. He also can't go on loan with a view to a permanent as he'll have six months left on his contract and we won't get a fee anyway.

We may try and sell him for a couple of million or so in January, if not then maybe a loan until his contract is up to keep him off the wage bill but one way or another he's finished here. 

The epitome of Claude Puel anti football. No surprise that we have grown endlessly with Mendy out the side. Might be a top bloke, top professional etc but as a footballer he is neither good enough nor suits our footballing style. 

Would do well in the championship 

25 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

The epitome of Claude Puel anti football. No surprise that we have grown endlessly with Mendy out the side. Might be a top bloke, top professional etc but as a footballer he is neither good enough nor suits our footballing style. 

Would do well in the championship 

He was signed by Ranieri btw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

He played for Puel at Nice and the majority of his football in a Leicester shirt was played under Puel...

And I'm sure if he hadn't been injured he would've played much, much more under Ranieri, and maybe even prevented his sacking, and right now we'd be in a totally different position.

Edited by Nicolo Barella

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Massive shoutout to mendy today. Not played all season but must have trained extremely hard to have the kind of match sharpness to play like he did today. Must be a great pro and thoroughly deserves a move to play first team football on that evidence 

Hear hear.

I'm a big fan of his. My kind of player. Tidy, intelligent, reliable...and fit as a butcher's dog.

Apart from a 4 year contract earning money beyond his wildest dreams, he's had a raw deal at LCFC. 

I hope he goes on to join a good side at ligue 1 or serie A and blossom. He deserves it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1