Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

The ‘Media Trying To Sell Our Players Again’ Thread

8 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Or, to be fair he had grown up in Africa during the period Chelsea were routinely winning the Premier League and Champions League, and had always said 'I want to play for them, they are the best'.

I think Kante gets off really lightly on here because of his smiley nature and quirkiness.

Truth is he was the first who wanted to leave. At least Drinkwater and Mahrez stuck around for a bit. 

Yes eventually they both had to put their foot down and force moves to try and experience playing for a 'big club and have massive wages' but can you really blame them?  They'd already experienced all leicester had to offer at the time and it wasn't like we were going places.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think Kante gets off really lightly on here because of his smiley nature and quirkiness.

Truth is he was the first who wanted to leave. At least Drinkwater and Mahrez stuck around for a bit. 

Yes eventually they both had to put their foot down and force moves to try and experience playing for a 'big club and have massive wages' but can you really blame them?  They'd already experienced all leicester had to offer at the time and it wasn't like we were going places.

Kante insisted on a release clause in his contract before he signed. It was never a situation of him outgrowing us. He knew where he was heading and that was the top. It should’ve been no surprise to us that he ended up leaving. 

The release clause probably ended up bringing his wages down. In the end, Kante left to fulfil a dream. Mahrez and Drinkwater left to chase money and fame. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Kante insisted on a release clause in his contract before he signed. It was never a situation of him outgrowing us. He knew where he was heading and that was the top. It should’ve been no surprise to us that he ended up leaving. 

The release clause probably ended up bringing his wages down. In the end, Kante left to fulfil a dream. Mahrez and Drinkwater left to chase money and fame. 

how ?

as I recall, a 10 mill s/o fee and 150/week

On 15/11/2019 at 20:20, Spudulike said:

"Man City duo Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling are among a number of forward options being considered by Leicester City, Sky Sports News understands."

I’d genuinely love for us to put a bid in, knowing 100% we won’t get them, just to be so brazen and cocky!!

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

how ?

Presumably he meant the release clause meant his salary at Leicester wasn't as high. He certainly didn't get 10mil and 150k/wk signing for a side that only just avoided relegation the previous season.

Kanté didn't want to sign for us in the first place, and who could blame him? His stock was on the rise and he was getting offers from the likes of Marseille in his home country, and we weren't exactly a huge draw at the time. Still, he was convinced to join and the release clause would have played a part in that - "Come and show what you can do in the PL and if you're good enough we won't stand in your way when a Champions League club comes calling". Noone could have predicted what happened next. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

how ?

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

Presumably he meant the release clause meant his salary at Leicester wasn't as high. He certainly didn't get 10mil and 150k/wk signing for a side that only just avoided relegation the previous season.

Exactly Xen. I did mean his wages at Leicester (although I was only speculating). 

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

That really is looking at this situation overly sentimentally. I agree that Kante gets off lightly due to his contribution in 2015/16 and the fact that he is a world class player. In my view I will always be grateful for his contribution, but he will never reach the legendary status of others due to his actions immediately after we won the title. All this: "left to fulfil a dream" guff could equally be applied to Mahrez, Drinkwater or Maguire.

Kante left a team that had just won the league. You might have thought he'd give it one more season to see where the journey might end in the Champion's League, but instead chose to join a club who weren't even in the CL at that time. He couldn't wait to go! Imagine if we finish in the top four this season and Manchester United finish outside the top four. I bet there will be a few who will be a bit more critical if Maddison immediately gets in a taxi to Old Trafford.

There is a lot of talk about how we could become a "big" club. Kante's actions in 2016 epitomise the actions of players and pundits who don't see us as a big club and one that could challenge further than a one-off season. It's the kind of behaviour that will need to stop if we are to ever progress to that next level of acceptance and sustainability: 'you can win trophies here and don't have to leave'. It's the kind of belief that will keep the likes of Maddison, N'didi, Tielemans and Chilwell at the club.

I don't write all this to slag Kante off. All of the 15/16 team will always have a special place in my heart and in my memories. But Kante used us as a stepping stone to fulfil his own ambition. No unjust criticism for that, but just think we should call it as it is and as justification why Kante should never be revered in the same way that someone like Jamie Vardy will be when we look back in a few years' time.

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 4

I am not so bothered when a newspaper does they need the sales that headlines bring a bit like the old 0898 numbers or click bait but what annoys me is the pundits doing it. Often they still have strong links with their old clubs and who is to say that the current manager / recruitment team or chairman isn't having a quiet word with them asking for their help t unsettle players at other clubs . So when Merson or someone links a player or manager with the club they represented how do we know that it isn't just Tapping Up an offence that the club doing it directly could be fined for but an expro being paid by sky or the bbc slipping into a conversation about a game is seen by the FA as ok. Now I am not suggesting for one minute that this happens but who knows, Perhaps the problem is that the pundits all seam to come from the big 6 with the exception of Savage and he just a ....... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

That really is looking at this situation overly sentimentally. I agree that Kante gets off lightly due to his contribution in 2015/16 and the fact that he is a world class player. In my view I will always be grateful for his contribution, but he will never reach the legendary status of others due to his actions immediately after we won the title. All this: "left to fulfil a dream" guff could equally be applied to Mahrez, Drinkwater or Maguire.

Kante left a team that had just won the league. You might have thought he'd give it one more season to see where the journey might end in the Champion's League, but instead chose to join a club who weren't even in the CL at that time. He couldn't wait to go! Imagine if we finish in the top four this season and Manchester United finish outside the top four. I bet there will be a few who will be a bit more critical if Maddison immediately gets in a taxi to Old Trafford.

There is a lot of talk about how we could become a "big" club. Kante's actions in 2016 epitomise the actions of players and pundits who don't see us as a big club and one that could challenge further than a one-off season. It's the kind of behaviour that will need to stop if we are to ever progress to that next level of acceptance and sustainability: 'you can win trophies here and don't have to leave'. It's the kind of belief that will keep the likes of Maddison, N'didi, Tielemans and Chilwell at the club.

I don't write all this to slag Kante off. All of the 15/16 will always have a special place in my heart and in my memories. But Kante used us as a stepping stone to fulfil his own ambition. No unjust criticism for that, but just think we should call it as it is and as justification why Kante should never be revered in the same way that someone like Jamie Vardy will be when we look back in a few years' time.

I’m not looking at it over sentimentally. I also don’t see Kante as a club legend because he wasn’t. He was a great footballer who gave us one year of his time. 

You’ve put words into my mouth with your reply. I wouldn’t dream of comparing Kante to Vardy. He clearly used us as a steppingstone, we both gained a lot from that. 

My reply was a realistic view of the situation. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's true that you could never call Drinky smiley, and Mahrez turned into a sulky brat.  But I think Kante gets off lightly because he didn't try to break his contract, whereas the other two negotiated big pay rises based on long contracts, and then tried to force a move that broke their contracts when it suited them.  

• Like 1

Kante signed for a club who just escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth, neither he or anyone else knew how good he'd end up being. 

This "wouldn't have signed without it" stuff is well overplayed. We had Rudkin playing championship manager at the time dishing them out like confetti to anyone that asked. It's standard abroad and agents probably ask for the same over here all the time, but they get rejected as not many clubs deal in there here. Rudkin learnt his lesson and won't agree to them now, so that says all you need to know. He doesn't think they are key to getting people to sign.

Lucky escape guys. PHEW. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/brandon-williams-ben-chilwell-man-utd-transfer-news-leicester

Manchester United call off Ben Chilwell hunt due to Brandon Williams' ascendancy

Brandon Williams

Brandon Williams has impressed so much this season that Manchester United have scrapped their plans to sign a new left-back, say reports.

The 19-year-old has broken into the first team at Old Trafford, putting Luke Shaw’s place under serious threat with some excellent performances.

And the Times reports that his emergence as a credible first-team option have resulted in the club changing their mind about looking for a new left-back in the transfer market. 

Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell was one of several options the Red Devils were considering launching a bid for, according to the outlet. 

But Williams has done enough in his handful of appearances this season to convince Solskjaer and the United hierarchy that he has what it takes to deputise for Shaw at the very least.

The teenager was called upon after Shaw suffered a hamstring injury at the start of the season. 

He debuted in the Carabao Cup victory over Rochdale in September, but has featured more regularly of late.

Williams has played every minute of United’s last two Premier League games and scored his first senior goal for the club in the 3-3 draw with Sheffield United last weekend.

He was handed a new three-year deal last month as a reward for his efforts. 

Shaw is set to return from injury during United’s Europa League game against Astana on Thursday and faces a stern challenge to win his place back off the in-form Williams.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Lucky escape guys. PHEW. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/brandon-williams-ben-chilwell-man-utd-transfer-news-leicester

Manchester United call off Ben Chilwell hunt due to Brandon Williams' ascendancy

Brandon Williams

Brandon Williams has impressed so much this season that Manchester United have scrapped their plans to sign a new left-back, say reports.

The 19-year-old has broken into the first team at Old Trafford, putting Luke Shaw’s place under serious threat with some excellent performances.

And the Times reports that his emergence as a credible first-team option have resulted in the club changing their mind about looking for a new left-back in the transfer market. 

Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell was one of several options the Red Devils were considering launching a bid for, according to the outlet. 

But Williams has done enough in his handful of appearances this season to convince Solskjaer and the United hierarchy that he has what it takes to deputise for Shaw at the very least.

The teenager was called upon after Shaw suffered a hamstring injury at the start of the season. 

He debuted in the Carabao Cup victory over Rochdale in September, but has featured more regularly of late.

Williams has played every minute of United’s last two Premier League games and scored his first senior goal for the club in the 3-3 draw with Sheffield United last weekend.

He was handed a new three-year deal last month as a reward for his efforts. 

Shaw is set to return from injury during United’s Europa League game against Astana on Thursday and faces a stern challenge to win his place back off the in-form Williams.

giphy.gif

ha ha. realise they cant afford him and that he would tell them to do one as he wants to stay a good club more likely

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

If there’s anything I wouldn’t take seriously, it’s any American ‘soccer’ show. It’s beyond cringeworthy. 

Maddison is ready for the 'prime time' Leicester was a few years ago but not so much now... wtf is this bell-end talking about, we are on the brink of becoming a title contender this year, if that's not prime time then...

• Haha 1