Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Enjoying the ride more than 2015/16

42 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Pretty much. 15/16 seemed like a dream then and seems a dream now. There was stress but tempered by the fact we were doing the impossible and the world was watching. This squad makes our position reasonable and possible. But back then... I would stare at the league table in unbelief. And it was glorious.

Stress only kicked in towards the end. It'll be the same again if we're in a similar position come Feb/March.

I'm more relaxed this time. It's a combination of events - the main one being (as others have alluded to) that it's been done before, but also that the team is better, younger, plays consistently better football, and contains a CB who frankly looks like he owns the pitch. I'd also argue that Vardy is now a better footballer than he was in 15/16.

I also agree with those that see the parallels in terms of atmosphere, feel and camaraderie. It's almost as if the players know. And Liverpool are far enough ahead to give a target to stay in touch with, so much so that if we keep that gap for long enough, third and fourth may well be getting behind.

Fantastic time to follow the team.

Tbh I think we must finish top 4 otherwise this team will be broken up. Chilwell, Ricardo, Maddison, Ndidi and Tielemans, at least 3 of those 5 will want to move on to a CL club.

This season is more enjoyable because this team is better and play better football. And as much as I love Ranieri, our current manager is better.

• Like 1

So many times I thought we'd blown it. Walking out after the West Brom 2-2 and it started raining. That was a gloomy drive home. The Jon Moss West Ham match, going into the 88th minute 0-0 against Norwich. I actually started to resent the club for putting us through it which was madness looking back. Feeling like a celebrity arriving on Freeman's Wharf on matchdays with camera crews from all over the world trying to thrust a microphone in your face. Never been part of anything like it before or expect to be ever again. 

Weird thing is supporting City has changed for me since that season. Still got the passion but the intensity has abated. Loving watching these players as individuals and as a team but now able to appreciate it more for what it is. 

Just give us an FA Cup before I hang up my scarf please City. 

• Like 1

To all of us City fans young and old the title win and now are truly heady days. Living abroad with all the different fans made it special as they were all genuinely pleased for us ( spurs fans excluded ) . Growing up with the memories and pain of Forest and Derby doing well was instantly vanquished by that remarkable success. Let’s enjoy the ride and hope it continues for a long time 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

I was thinking about the very same think earlier when I was tidying up some boxes in the spare room and found the 'Fearless' book by Jonathan Norcroft. Gonna read it again starting tonight and then get my 13 year old to read it as well. 

He's only really been into going to games for the last 2 seasons and I wish he'd been into it for the title winning season. I've tried explaining what it was like to him, but he just thinks we've always been a decent Premier league team... 

I actually read that Fearless book on the plane going to Madrid to see us play Atletico and who was sat behind me on the plane.................Jonathan Norcroft. I turned round and said to him I think I'm reading your book and we ended up having a good chat and getting the train into Madrid together, nice guy. 

• Like 4

Guest Markyblue

The stress for the last 8 games in 2016 was enormous but as much as I'm enjoying this season if we get to 8 matches left and we are in the hunt for the title the stress will be the same maybe even more .

This season is great. We've already won the P/L league so that's been done, Liverpool must be far more stressed because they are trying to do something they haven't done before.

We've got a great team, manager, and owners, We are bringing in players better than the ones we're selling and have a superb set up and training ground (soon!) in place.

Maybe it will be more stressful if we've got 5 games to go and we are tied with Liverpool or Man City, but for me it is much more stressful watching us in past seasons fighting relegation!

• Like 1

I don't think there is much pressure for fans this season as we have done the unthinkable, the players may feel different though and the pressure may start to build if we are still up there in the last 3rd of the season.

I'm not as much bothered about winning as I was back in 15/16, I would be more than happy with top 4 this season... however it would be epic if we managed to win it again.

Enjoying the ride, not going through the week biting my nails or making sure that my newly found 2015/16 superstitions are carried out to the Nth degree, feeling good about it all without going to sleep and waking up with football the only thing occupying my head as it was in 2015/16. And it really doesn't matter if we have to wait as long as to next season before we win the premier league again....mine jew, a good FA cup run could put my head out of gear again.

I thought the wheels were coming off in the 1-1 with Villa, where Mahrez missed another pen. The last games in 15/16 was torturous. I went to the pub and sat in the same spot out of superstition.. I think I averaged 3 pints per half, edge of my seat stuff. I only really relaxed after the Sunderland game. This one is way more enjoyable.. probably as I don't expect us to win, but the challenge and all the comments of us being contenders is nice.

However

If we are there or thereabouts at the top with a few games to go, it will be no nails, on 3 pints a half again.... 

Edited by Cameron Davidson
spelling mistake

I agree with the OP.

It’s not really about how brilliant and unexpected 2015/16 was. It was more it felt like a one off. An opportunity to do something incredible. Especially after the previous season. Our one and only opportunity to win the top league after 130 odd years of history.

I reflected afterwards that my only regret was that I’d forgotten to enjoy it enough. The pressure to win every week was immensely stressful. I vowed that if we were ever high in the league again that I’d take the time out to actually enjoy it - and that’s what I’m determined to do.

We should all feel better this time because we have already been PL winners. Recent PL winners!! It’s no longer a one off and happened in our period of supporting the team.

Relax, sit back and enjoy the wide. I’m going to. Well I’ll try anyway .... 😬 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Enjoying the ride, not going through the week biting my nails or making sure that my newly found 2015/16 superstitions are carried out to the Nth degree, feeling good about it all without going to sleep and waking up with football the only thing occupying my head as it was in 2015/16. And it really doesn't matter if we have to wait as long as to next season before we win the premier league again....mine jew, a good FA cup run could put my head out of gear again.

What?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Koke said:

Tbh I think we must finish top 4 otherwise this team will be broken up. Chilwell, Ricardo, Maddison, Ndidi and Tielemans, at least 3 of those 5 will want to move on to a CL club.

This season is more enjoyable because this team is better and play better football. And as much as I love Ranieri, our current manager is better.

i agree the only way we can keep the 11 together is champions league football. .. (other than 2 wingers which still need improving in my eyes as they are the only positions that dont pick themselves currently)

Edited by les-tah

After about February 2016 I found it hard to watch games to be honest. The thought of us chucking it away was unbearable. In the run-in I was half pissed in the ground to help with the stress.

The West Ham home game took 10 years off my life.

I just wanted it all to be over, either way.

I'm enjoying it much more this season. We've done it already, the pressure is off and we're playing some sensational football to boot.

On 25/11/2019 at 20:12, Sampson said:

It was only stressful from about February onwards. It will be exactly the same if we get in the same position this season.

This time in 2015-16 was absolutely joyous and more exciting than now, as great as now is. This time last season was when we thumped Newvastle 3-0 and Vardy equalled the record and it was brilliant to watch. I doubt anyone at this stage was getting stressed seriously thinking we could win the title. It was from the Arsenal game on Valentine's weekend when we were getting nervy and grinding out tight 1-0s.

Think people are forgetting just how good 2015-16 was and how that season went.

This.

I never actually even considered we'd get the title until we went to the Etihad and beat Man City 3-1.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

If we are still 2nd after the New Year then my stress levels will start getting back to what they were towards the end of that season. For now I am blissfully happy that we have such a good side that is genuinely in contention for at least top 4. It feels much more solid than 15/16. 

I felt like 15/16 was for many other football supporters. A lot of my lower league supporting friends were 100% behind us. It provided hope to everyone. We were part of one of the all time great sporting stories - and I desperately wanted it to happen.  Prior to February I was just really happy we'd got 40 points and proven all the pundits wrong regarding relegation. Vardy's run was also absolutely magic. His 11th against ManU was probably the single most intense feeling I have had watching football. More than Hazard's goal v Spurs. It was all great fun.

Anyway - I love threads like this because they bring back some extraordinarily happy memories. Here's to the next set!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

for me it is much more stressful watching us in past seasons fighting relegation!

Can't agree with this - I think there was a level of acceptance that we were going down before the great escape. I remember drawing 0-0 against the 10 men of Hull when we desperately needed to win when I couldn't fault our effort, just that we weren't good enough. Whenever we conceded a roar of support came out in the hope that we could still get something. I renewed my season ticket expecting a season of Championship football. There was no stress because it couldn't get any worse! 

I heard a story from a friend of someone who had got odds of 5000-1 who was offered a cash out (looking to win 25k) and he had a fairly well off friend who told him not to cash out. He told all of the guys mates that if it didn't come off he'd give him the money himself, but not to tell him. After the bet came in, the guy got wind of his mate's offer had the bet not have won, and asked him why he didn't tell him as he nearly had 3 heart attacks. He told him that the feeling of pure elation after the months of nerve wrangling tension - he will never get that again and no feeling will come close and he was able to enjoy every second of it.

I know we all probably didn't have money on it but the feelings were the same. Tension, heart ache, pure elation and relief, every game of those last 10.