Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Enjoying the ride more than 2015/16

It's good. No pressure. I'm just enjoying our football and potential and not really fussed a the race for the title. Pretty secure in the feeling of getting top 4 as we're in the breakaway pack. Enjoying the spirit of our squad again and being reminded of the 15/16 camaraderie, the fancy dress party being a huge flash back. 

Life's groovy. 

• Like 1

This is more enjoyable.

This time 4 year ago I was expecting for us to slump soon enough. We wobbled a bit over Christmas but Spurs was so huge getting us back on track. Also I'd have to say that the events of 2000/01 up to the Wycombe disaster had me fearing history could repeat itself.

Now I'd be a lot more confident of a top 4 finish. Liverpool are a bit out of reach but its great to be one of the front runners in the Premier League.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nalis said:

2015/16 was obviously brilliant but it felt incredibly stressful and difficult to actually enjoy at the time until we actually won the league.

We deserve to actually enjoy this season so far and seems like we are from the feel of the forum. 

Personally vowing to enjoy it as much as possible rather than stressing about it. Obviously want to finish as high as possible (think we'll finish 4th) but if it goes tits up and we nosedive then so be it.

How is everyone else feeling?

Exactly the same!

January to May 2016 was an amazing time for me personally - living in the best city in the world - Cape Town, doing a job I loved, making some great friends and meeting some amazing people, doing fantastic things. Then I’d go to the Vasco Tavern in Green Point every match day and spend two hours shitting myself. It was a beautiful, seriously nervy time that April/May.

All-consuming, stressy, really unpleasant brilliance. 

This time I don’t want to think about us being in a title race. Liverpool are really far ahead and although I reckon they’ll **** it up, I just want us to do our thing and concentrate on ourselves. 

• Like 3

We are playing much better this season (I hope that can be said at the end!). Some statistics illustrate this: Goals per game 2.38 this season cf to 1.79,goals conceded 0.61 cf to 0.95, posession54.5% cf to 42.3.

I can't remember such a free flowing attractive City side in the top flight. Vardy is playing a crucial role again (although slightly different); we need him to stay fit as there is not a Mahrez equivalent (or to a far lesser extent Ulloa. Okazaki) that I feel likely to score goals- although Perez (and Maddison) may prove me wrong  if Vardy were injured. 

I enjoyed this period of the season back in 2015-16 more than I’m enjoying now, largely because I never dreamed that we’d even get in the top 4 at this point in 15-16 so there seemed to be very little at stake. As far as I was concerned the main benefit of our good form was that we weren’t going to be in a relegation battle which was something in itself following the previous season, plus we were great fun to watch with Vardy, Mahrez and Kante all in top form.

Obviously once we got to about February every game was pretty much completely unbearable.

I think 2015/16 was absolutely new territory for us. We were not expecting to stay near the top and a lot of us may have never really believed until March/April time. The fact that 2015/16 happened and that it was so recent relieves the pressure this season if it weren't to happen.

But this time round, we are a more complete team and we are dominating most sides we face. There's not a game this season yet where I've felt that we were clearly second best. At times in 2015/16 we would be defending with bodies on the line for endless spells and then counter attack and grab an unlikely goal.

• Like 2

So much nervous energy and angst expended 2015-16 that I recognise the emotions expressed here- I could barely watch some of the televised games .

I genuinely don’t fear a single side this season - don’t expect to win every game but fear no-one .- in 2015-16 the threats were much more immediate and some games were approached with real trepidation 

I absolutely hated the title winning season. It was the most nerve jangling, stressful experiences as a fan i’ve had. Quite literally was just waiting for the inevitable - turned out the inevitable was winning the league.

oddly we are a much better side now, better balance and better style combined with a truly talented manager. I’m relaxed and what will be will be. 

we are winning the league though - just saying. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

January to May 2016 was an amazing time for me personally - living in the best city in the world - Cape Town, doing a job I loved, making some great friends and meeting some amazing people, doing fantastic things. Then I’d go to the Vasco Tavern in Green Point every match day and spend two hours shitting myself. It was a beautiful, seriously nervy time that April/May.

This time I don’t want to think about us being in a title race. Liverpool are really far ahead and although I reckon they’ll **** it up, I just want us to do our thing and concentrate on ourselves. 

Definitely the best City I’ve been to.

Stayed at the V&A Waterfront Appartments which I think is that area (Dock Road)

Seem laid back at the moment,but I was in 15/16 until the business end.

Thing is if we don’t get CL I will be gutted.

is that wrong to expect CL football?

2015/16 was of course amazing, we lived the dream but after the Man City 3-1 win it was so stressful and hard to enjoy, we had so so much to lose as we all probably realised we were in with a real chance of doing the unbelievable. I probably enjoyed the previous season more as we were dead and buried. This season we have no pressure, so far. It’s Liverpool’s to lose, isn’t it ? The pressure’s on them and it can do strange things. 

20 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

This time during the title winning season was wicked what are you lot on about?

We had just pumped Newcastle 3-0 and were top of the league. Does not get better.

Pretty much. 15/16 seemed like a dream then and seems a dream now. There was stress but tempered by the fact we were doing the impossible and the world was watching. This squad makes our position reasonable and possible. But back then... I would stare at the league table in unbelief. And it was glorious.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Can I come live with you please? 

I was thinking about the very same think earlier when I was tidying up some boxes in the spare room and found the 'Fearless' book by Jonathan Norcroft. Gonna read it again starting tonight and then get my 13 year old to read it as well. 

He's only really been into going to games for the last 2 seasons and I wish he'd been into it for the title winning season. I've tried explaining what it was like to him, but he just thinks we've always been a decent Premier league team... 

• Like 1