Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Watford (H) Pre-Match Thread

whatever team we put out should be capable of beating these. the Everton game showed how tough games like these can be. we can't take anything for granted and we need to earn every win. let us do what we do and do it well and we should have more than enough to beat these. it's about staying focused. we are on a great run so let's keep it going.

24 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

In fairness, will there be a better game all season to practice a new formation? 

I would disagree with you to a certain extent here, being in the upper UPPER part of the league we don't really want to be messing about with something we have proven to work. 

The odd changes here and there to rest certain players, i get... but to change to a different formation when the one we have is working unbelievably well would be a change for changes sake. I am confident about a win tonight but as we all know every EPL game is hard and it could also turn out to be a banana skin (i hate that phrase, but couldnt think of anything better) 

• Like 2

There is only one way to categorize this game and that's home banker. Literally all the stats past and present point at a home win, from our record against them at home, their away record, form this season and last, even the fact Watford apparently never win on Wednesdays. 

By all accounts they were hanging on most of the time at the weekend before finally succumbing and that was against a saints side who never win at home. If we don't win this comfortably I'd be surprised and it could derail us a bit, need to be professional not complacent and get the job done, score early and go from there, don't be changing the team much, leave Barnes in to get more confidence and hopefully a goal, play Praet and maybe Wes but leave the rest. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

In fairness, will there be a better game all season to practice a new formation? 

Wigan? 🤷‍♂️  Although, I would change a couple of personnel tonight within our existing system. We are about to run the same eleven into the ground during December. Let’s be as brave as we dare be around optimising player ‘freshness’ ahead of two massive games at the end of the month. Although, unless we win all of these ones against mid-lower table teams, the Liverpool and Citizens games won’t be that massive after all. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I would disagree with you to a certain extent here, being in the upper UPPER part of the league we don't really want to be messing about with something we have proven to work. 

The odd changes here and there to rest certain players, i get... but to change to a different formation when the one we have is working unbelievably well would be a change for changes sake. I am confident about a win tonight but as we all know every EPL game is hard and it could also turn out to be a banana skin (i hate that phrase, but couldnt think of anything better) 

In fairness, it has been working well, but Everton showed how to nullify us to a certain extent, and Watford will probably play similarly. Perhaps a change of tactics, just to test out that it works and is in our locker, could not only be helpful practice for the players but if it works it could keep teams guessing as to how we would set up. 

Then again it may be totally unnecessary. But if there ever was a game to try something like that out, it would be this one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Wigan? 🤷‍♂️  Although, I would change a couple of personnel tonight within our existing system. We are about to run the same eleven into the ground during December. Let’s be as brave as we dare be around optimising player ‘freshness’ ahead of two massive games at the end of the month. Although, unless we win all of these ones against mid-lower table teams, the Liverpool and Citizens games won’t be that massive after all. 

You're right that cup games basically provide that. Was just thinking that if Rodgers ever wanted to test something out against higher tier opposition, it would be this game.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Totally agree. Formations are like partners really - you should only change them if the performance drops off. At the moment things are going well. Leave as is.  Plus Watford are due a good result. 

Would love to see Evans get on the scoresheet. Only outfield player of the preferred starting eleven without a goal so far. Actually why not 4-0 with Albrighton, Gary and Praet wading in too. Belay that. make it 5-0 Vardy needs to keep his streak going.

I know this sound like contradictory fence sitting, but I think this will either be a tough, frustrating game that could go either way by a single goal or we are going to absolutely muller them. nothing in between

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Would be nice to get the game won nice and early today.

5 goals before 30 minutes all season so far is a worrying stat, even if the 28 goals we've scored after the 30th minute reassures me.

Quite surprised at that stat as one of the hallmarks of all Rodgers teams previously was how fast they started games, at Liverpool and Celtic in particular they'd blow most teams away early on.

57 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Would love to see Evans get on the scoresheet. Only outfield player of the preferred starting eleven without a goal so far. Actually why not 4-0 with Albrighton, Gary and Praet wading in too. Belay that. make it 5-0 Vardy needs to keep his streak going.

I know this sound like contradictory fence sitting, but I think this will either be a tough, frustrating game that could go either way by a single goal or we are going to absolutely muller them. nothing in between

It doesn't sound like fence sitting, it most definitely is....and I agree with you.