Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

My personal view is whilst apart from the bigger outbreak in larger cities, we should hopefully avoid anything particularly catastrophic in Provincial England. London however, and the sights on the Tube, I can see taking a pummelling unfortunately. It’s younger demographic might mitigate it partly but we’ve all seen what happens in Lombardy when the system begins to strain...

Hopefully we get off better than Italy & Spain though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Can’t work out if out trajectory is due to our shit hot NHS, our Northern European genetics, our lack of tactility and perhaps reduced viral load or all of the above.

Lombardy is the centre of fashion and home to thousands of Chinese workers, including a sizeable population from Wuhan, living and working in poor conditions (edit + terrible air quality).

Don't want to tempt fate though, let's see where we are in a few weeks. 

Edited by bovril
  • Thanks 1

Guest Harrydc

Shopping is becoming a struggle. Anxiety levels at a new high. Not because I’m particularly scared of the virus, but because I’m scared of upsetting people if I accidentally walk too close to someone, or I look at a product and put it back on the shelf. Sounds stupid I know.

Did something really dumb in the supermarket earlier. A guy had used the cash machine and left his card in there and walked away without realising. as it spat it out I took it out and shouted to the man that he'd left it, and passed it back to him. I did it purely out of instinct and the guy was grateful but some of the other shoppers looked horrified. Felt a right tit 

Edited by foxfanazer

7 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I get the impression that after a shaky start, the UK is now starting to get a grip on this crisis on multiple fronts. Lockdown, large temporary hospitals, large scale testing, ventilator production. Good stuff, hope it all works out.

I'm not so sure on this one. My girlfriend has had symptoms for the last week and falls into most of the categories for high risk as well as working for the NHS and despite being informed by 111 that she most probably has got it l, they won't test her 

52 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Just a thought...

so lets was say ist true with home Test kits.....What will NHS und Government do....???

Your Test is positive...you isolate..After Isolation you still prove positive,feeling terrible..!!!

This wont be people in their 100s,but mostly 1000s if Not 10,000. Where do they go..??

It tests whether or not you’ve had it, not if you’ve got it, which is the real information that is needed as it determines if you are immune

19 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I get the impression that after a shaky start, the UK is now starting to get a grip on this crisis on multiple fronts. Lockdown, large temporary hospitals, large scale testing, ventilator production. Good stuff, hope it all works out.

I hope you're right.

But Nadim Zahawi (Business Minister) was extremely unconvincing on Newsnight tonight re. ventilator production and testing for hospital staff.

He was very evasive about ventilator production. The distinct impression given was that there was no guarantee that a large number of extra ventilators would be available within 2-3 weeks, when the peak may hit the NHS.

Markedly different figures are being bandied about, some including ventilators ordered but not received. There also seemed to be a concentration on what could be high-risk schemes for new consortia and big companies from other sectors (e.g. Dyson, Rolls Royce) to develop new model ventilators, put them into production & have them available to NHS standards by some ill-defined date in April. A bod already running a company making ventilator parts thought they should be concentrating on getting existing big producers (not his own) to make them, as the only ones likely to be able to turn them around that quickly.......hopefully it works but, to an amateur, the existing plan sounded like a high-risk "grand scheme", exciting on paper but....

Likewise, the figure for testing of hospital staff didn't sound great. Johnson had promised they'd soon be testing 25,000 hospital staff per day. Apparently, in the 9 days since, the figure has increased from 5000 to 6400....not great if that continues and the shit hits the fan in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully some of those involved know what they're doing, but Zahawi seemed to be more interested in doing a bullshit/PR/evasion job...

Rumours of further large temporary hospitals in Birmingham (NEC?) and Manchester, though Zahawi didn't confirm or deny that.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Did something really dumb in the supermarket earlier. A guy had used the cash machine and left his card in there and walked away without realising. as it spat it out I took it out and shouted to the man that he'd left it, and passed it back to him. I did it purely out of instinct and the guy was grateful but some of the other shoppers looked horrified. Felt a right tit 

Maybe they were horrified at you feeling someone's right tit.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I hope you're right.

But Nadim Zahawi (Business Minister) was extremely unconvincing on Newsnight tonight re. ventilator production and testing for hospital staff.

He was very evasive about ventilator production. The distinct impression given was that there was no guarantee that a large number of extra ventilators would be available within 2-3 weeks, when the peak may hit the NHS.

Markedly different figures are being bandied about, some including ventilators ordered but not received. There also seemed to be a concentration on what could be high-risk schemes for new consortia and big companies from other sectors (e.g. Dyson, Rolls Royce) to develop new model ventilators, put them into production & have them available to NHS standards by some ill-defined date in April. A bod already running a company making ventilator parts thought they should be concentrating on getting existing big producers (not his own) to make them, as the only ones likely to be able to turn them around that quickly.......hopefully it works but, to an amateur, the existing plan sounded like a high-risk "grand scheme", exciting on paper but....

Likewise, the figure for testing of hospital staff didn't sound great. Johnson had promised they'd soon be testing 25,000 hospital staff per day. Apparently, in the 9 days since, the figure has increased from 5000 to 6400....not great if that continues and the shit hits the fan in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully some of those involved know what they're doing, but Zahawi seemed to be more interested in doing a bullshit/PR/evasion job...

Rumours of further large temporary hospitals in Birmingham (NEC?) and Manchester, though Zahawi didn't confirm or deny that.

I think people may be a little disappointed if they expect either of those companies to make ventilators, ones in Malaysia and the other makes a couple of dozen jet engines a week and they buy most of the parts in

Edited by yorkie1999

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think they played the impeachment card too soon.

Can they do it again?

Well, you'd hope they throw him out on his ear in November and this is a key part of how that happens.

Unfortunately, he's hardly the only person to think material wealth is more important than life - where he is or on here.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I don't really want to get into it, just to say that they have had a plan from the beginning and been led by the experts.  There has been no uproar.

People will view it through the prism of their own political persuasions though.

I just think that the whingers and gripers are a pain in the arse.  Exactly the people you would not want with you in the trenches.  Besides, everybody knows it was Chilwell's fault.

The same experts that didn’t want to shut schools because of “kids being left with the elderly etc” that back tracked a week later.

The same time experts that wanted a herd immunity, when other countries were weeks ahead and advising to be in the lockdown phase as quick at possible.

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm not so sure on this one. My girlfriend has had symptoms for the last week and falls into most of the categories for high risk as well as working for the NHS and despite being informed by 111 that she most probably has got it l, they won't test her 

TBF, gearing up for mass testing is probably impossible in the short term, due to difficulties producing or sourcing the test kits. They’ve only just started including health workers for testing here in Aus, even though we’ve got quite a decent test record by all accounts.

I am surprised that health workers weren’t being given a higher priority. Until tests (both for infection and for antibodies) are widely available to everyone I don’t think it will be possible to get the situation fully under control.

I hope your girlfriend is OK.

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I hope you're right.

Quite possible that I’m falling for the PR. I can be rather naive at times.

5 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Only the same as pressing the same buttons he did or pushing a trolley that someone else had. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

The same experts that didn’t want to shut schools because of “kids being left with the elderly etc” that back tracked a week later.

The same time experts that wanted a herd immunity, when other countries were weeks ahead and advising to be in the lockdown phase as quick at possible.

There has been no back tracking. There was always a plan, and we were aware from the very beginning that all the things that have happened, would happen, at some stage. 

People who don't get that weren't listening. 

• Like 3

I personally believe this has been handled quite well.

Somewhere on a shelf somewhere they had a plan drawn up called “How to deal with a pandemic”. They’ve basically dusted it down, as it was wrote donkeys ago and put it into action. 

On day 1 they had a plan drawn out, which included drip feeding information to the general public. What happened on Monday, was reactive for me, just part of that drawn out plan.

I think I’ve said before, it’s a balancing act, between exposing enough people to gain immunity, then not over exposing people to cripple the NHS. 

Potentially the only thing they didn’t consider if the fight for bread, milk and toilet roll. However, who can account for the general public being stupid. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, murphy said:

I don't really want to get into it, just to say that they have had a plan from the beginning and been led by the experts.  There has been no uproar.

People will view it through the prism of their own political persuasions though.

I just think that the whingers and gripers are a pain in the arse.  Exactly the people you would not want with you in the trenches.  Besides, everybody knows it was Chilwell's fault.

It's been well documented that we had to make an about turn on the original plan because they were going to kill hundreds of thousands of people with their "we know better than every other country and their experts" approach.  Having a plan from day 1 is not the same as being correct from day 1.  It's good they responded to the public uproar (yes there was some), it's not good to rewrite the past and pretend it never happened.

When I'm in the trenches I hope those around me will be equally capable of remembering events of the past 2 weeks.

• Like 3