Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

4 minutes ago, brucey said:

The consent before reporting deaths thing came from a Newsnight reporter yesterday. No idea if actually true

Sounds like a load of old toss to me.. I mean sure they probably need consent of family's if they were naming specific people, but to just add them into a total deaths by CV figure, surely doesn't require consent...

• Like 1

Times article

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nhs-now-likely-to-cope-with-coronavirus-says-key-scientist-rn5m6nggk

NHS now likely to cope with coronavirus, says key scientist

The virus death toll could end up being “substantially lower” than 20,000, with most of the fatalities in people who would have died later this year anyway, a government adviser has said.

Neil Ferguson, the Imperial College London scientist whose research precipitated tougher government measures last week, told MPs: “It [the deaths of those who would have died anyway] might be as much as half or two thirds of the deaths we see, because these are people at the end of their lives or who have underlying conditions.”

He told Today on BBC Radio 4 this morning: “We’re going to have a very difficult few weeks in which NHS services will be intensely stressed but won’t break. We will have surge capacity, and perhaps in three weeks we will start flattening the curve.”

Professor Ferguson is a key member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, which is providing the evidence guiding Mr Johnson’s response to the coronavirus. He was giving evidence to the Commons science and technology committee alongside Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer for England, who then said that it would be a “close-run thing” whether or not the NHS could scrape through the peak of the coronavirus epidemic.

The ability of the health service to cope depended entirely on how well people observed the lockdown measures, he said at a Downing Street press conference.

“If everybody sticks to staying in your households unless absolutely essential, this . . . will be probably manageable by the NHS,” he said. “But we cannot guarantee that, and nobody who is sensible would wish to guarantee that.”

Chris Hopson, chief executive on NHS Providers, told Today: “Despite the fact they’ve expanded critical care between five- and seven-fold they’re struggling with the number of patients, the speed with which they’re arriving and how ill they are. Extra capacity is being filled up very quickly.” He said that sickness levels in the NHS were about 40 per cent, an “unprecedented” rate of absence.

Professor Ferguson was slightly more positive earlier yesterday, giving evidence to the committee.

He said that through a combination of enforced social distancing and a nationwide scramble to set up thousands more intensive care beds, he and his colleagues were now “reasonably confident” that the health service would cope.

“We think that in some areas of the country ICUs will get very close to capacity but we won’t breach them at the national level,” he said, predicting that the worst of the first wave was likely to pass within three weeks. But, he added, there would be a cost. Thanks to the stringent measures used to save the health service from disaster, “we will be paying for this year for many decades to come in terms of economic impact”.

Professor Ferguson revealed that before then the team had been told to find ways to avoid a lockdown, judging that there were “clear advantages economically to having it over by the summer”.

“We were asked to look into interventions which would not have this country locked down for a year or more, and balance mitigating the health effects of the epidemic against the economic impact,” he said. The shift of strategy came “slightly reluctantly”, he said, after updated information on NHS intensive care capacity and illness in China and Italy suggested that hospitals would be overwhelmed.

Now that the policy appeared to be working, the focus, he said, would be on ways of lifting restrictions without the virus rebounding.

“We clearly cannot lock down the country for a year,” he said. “The challenge that many countries in the world are dealing with is how we move from an initial intensive lockdown. . . to something that will have societal effects but which will allow the economy to restart.”

He added: “That is likely to rely on very large-scale testing and contact tracing.” By following up the people who have been in contact with the infected this could allow local outbreaks to be controlled and “maintain infections at low levels indefinitely”, he said.

Ultimately, though, he said: “The long-term exit from this is clearly the hopes around a vaccine.”

• Like 1

There is an interesting article in the spectator today about whether Covid-19 is actually any worse than the flu... We are counting deaths in a way almost intended to exaggerate the numbers, and as someone else pointed out, the overall death rate is actually lower than this time last year.  The numbers are barely moving the needle.  It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Sometimes interpretation and intent is difficult to convey via text, yeah. And sometimes inferences are obvious, but leave a convenient amount of plausible deniability to allow for a tone of injured innocence later (not in this particular case, I hasten to add).

Anyway, on the topic itself, the sole significant judge of government policy on this one is going to be the number of deaths caused by it all by the time it's all done compared to other nations with similar resources and populations. And on that metric...it is, sadly, a little bit iffy at the present time. Here's hoping it becomes better before this is all over.

Surely the people behind him will actually stop him before he commits electoral suicide in that way?

Saw an article saying he has a high approval for his response to covid as well as general approval (highest rating since his presidency started). He does have a high disapproval rating. This is along party lines and the key will be the swing voters 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mediaite.com/news/stunning-poll-finds-60-percent-of-americans-approve-of-trumps-coronavirus-response/amp/

Edited by Jattdogg

6 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Saw an article saying he has a high approval for his response to covid as well as general approval (highest rating since his presidency started). He does have a high disapproval rating. This is along party lines and the key will be the swing voters 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mediaite.com/news/stunning-poll-finds-60-percent-of-americans-approve-of-trumps-coronavirus-response/amp/

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?cid=rrpromo

538 tells a similar story...but you have to think that a combination of mass unemployment and then many people dying as a result of his decision to try to "open the USA up" again at Easter time would be unacceptable to those swing voters - many of which are in areas especially vulnerable to both unemployment and also the virus itself through difficult to obtain quality healthcare.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?cid=rrpromo

538 tells a similar story...but you have to think that a combination of mass unemployment and then many people dying as a result of his decision to try to "open the USA up" again at Easter time would be unacceptable to those swing voters - many of which are in areas especially vulnerable to both unemployment and also the virus itself through difficult to obtain quality healthcare.

People love trump. It is what it is. It comes down to who the swing voters want. Very divided nation.

12 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

That's because the health services haven't been overwhelmed yet. Speaking for where I work, we have multiple COVID wards now for the less sick and elderly who aren't appropriate for critical care. We have all of our ICU's full (FIVE), parts of theatres has been turned into an ICU and is full of COVID, with 2 more ICU's created and ready to go. Staff will unfortunately be looking after 2 or 3 (or more) sedated & ventilated patients at once when usually it's 1 nurse to 1 patient. Our doctors are on a war time rota and the nurses are working extra shifts.

x2 London trusts have already declared critical. We haven't even begun to peak yet.

Flu doesn't do this, even swine flu was nothing like this. If everyone does their bit, and with the extra capacity being created by the government, things should be ok in the long run.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted of how it's going and keep up the great work you and your collegues are doing!

Whether this is worse than flu is a moot point  for me really. 

The point is if no one was immune to flu and we had no flu jabs and everyone got it at the same time, youd probably see hundreds millions of deaths round the world too.

(I believe swine flu many of the elderly and most vulnerable were actually immune because they had the antibodies from a similar strain which happened in the 30s or 40s or something)

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brucey said:

The consent before reporting deaths thing came from a Newsnight reporter yesterday. No idea if actually true

this person is presuming a relative would NOT want to have their loved one added to the statistic.... why wouldn’t they?

3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Realistically Matt, it would be preferable to have a Government of National Unity now regardless, if just for a month once they come back. It would be nice to see all politicians on the same page, if not asking the serious or pressing issues government have overlooked where necessary. 

The initial reaction wasn’t enough in my opinion, hate to sound like a broken record but he waited between the 31st January and 3rd March to have a COBRA meeting wasn’t fast enough a reaction, and the fact there’s so many non-essential workers working through the lockdown, some travelling cross country and coming into contact with numerous folks, smacks of poor leadership. A strong leader doesn’t have to immediately change the guidelines an hour after making the announcement.

Perhaps if he’d used that month seriously, he may have been more confident in the steps he takes, but it feels too much like we’re making up for wasted time at the minute. I’m glad we’ve finally got things at least partially in order.

They would if the information they were receiving was changing hourly

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Finally got some bog roll after 3 weeks without seeing any in any shop (I luckily had 10 already in the cupboard), it's the greatest day of my life since I pulled the Leeds Utd shiny out to complete my Merlin Premier League 95 sticker album. What a moment.

Just bagged myself 2 x 24 rolls this morning (we were down to our last 4).

I imagine this is what it feels like to win the lottery. 

:vardy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Finally got some bog roll after 3 weeks without seeing any in any shop (I luckily had 10 already in the cupboard), it's the greatest day of my life since I pulled the Leeds Utd shiny out to complete my Merlin Premier League 95 sticker album. What a moment.

All this talk of bog roll at the start, I had assumed it was a Leeds Shirt and this conversation ended oh so differently :nono:

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Just bagged myself 2 x 24 rolls this morning (we were down to our last 4).

I imagine this is what it feels like to win the lottery. 

:vardy:

48 rolls?!?

Christ! How big are the arseholes in your house? No, on second thoughts, better not answer that! :D

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

jesus do people actually do that?

Sadly yes bloke got arrested last week in Dudley after coughing on shop staff after being caught shoplifting.

They having a laugh:-

After single facial touch sparks exponential spread of new-flu virus, global civil unrest & societal breakdown ensue leaving CDC to seek a cure in prophetic thriller CONTAGION 9pm - ITV2