Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ryan Bennett Joins On Loan

7 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

That’s a mental post lol

I mean the Darnell Johnson and josh knight bit is based on nothing. 

But surely Benkovic is good enough as 4th choice? I wouldn’t judge him too harshly on this Bristol stint, their manager was an odd one 

Bennett looked alright  Did what he had to do in helping us see the the game out. Think people are over analysing his performance. Decent debut in what could have been difficult circumstances. 

Bennett strikes me as an excellent 4th choice and ok 3rd choice, if we were to play 4 at the back week in, week out. 

However, I think we need a top class CB for 3 at the back to be successful next season. A system we need as a genuine alternative.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, sdb said:

Bennett strikes me as an excellent 4th choice and ok 3rd choice, if we were to play 4 at the back week in, week out. 

However, I think we need a top class CB for 3 at the back to be successful next season. A system we need as a genuine alternative.

Very few top class CBs available anywhere , so we are unlikely to find one. Its one of those positions where you can't take a punt on somebody so Bennett has a pretty good record and we can use him. In truth if we lose Jonny to injury there are few in Europe who could replace him.

I don’t know. He is a decent player. Someone who has prem ability but at the lower end, not one going for a consistent top4/6 finish. This is what we are trying to aim for. Palace best opportunity came from his mistake yesterday. Good to have till the end of the season but perhaps not a long term option.

Guest Fktf
22 hours ago, baldeagle said:

Did I say he was rubbish . No 

No dig at you intended mate. Joke was aimed at Chilwell for doing the miss control quite frequently, not your post. 

11 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Very few top class CBs available anywhere , so we are unlikely to find one. Its one of those positions where you can't take a punt on somebody so Bennett has a pretty good record and we can use him. In truth if we lose Jonny to injury there are few in Europe who could replace him.

If Brighton could be convinced to part with White he would be perfect. 

On 05/07/2020 at 02:34, Finnegan said:

Hands up if you'd genuinely forgotten we'd signed him until you saw him coming off the bench. 

I have to admit, I was wondering if he was Praet initially and then wondered who he was before realising he was Bennett.

• Haha 1

Thought Bennett looked solid - he was more what I was expecting from him than impressive, which for a 3rd/4th choice CB is absolutely fine. Apart from leaving Cahill unmarked (which I think he gets some slack for anyway as it was a few minutes into his first competitive game in months) I thought he contributed to well to the overall result. He showed some good composure and played out from the back nicely. I always feel like Evans and Soyuncu get left under too much pressure to play out from the back at times and Bennett gave us another effective enough option to do that.

For me, if he's happy to be 4th choice beyond his loan spell, I think he'd be a great, affordable addition long term. Homegrown, experienced pro, familiar with a back 2 and a back 3 system. He's more than capable of regular first team football at low-end PL or top-end Championship though so he might not be so keen.

Guest An Sionnach

Chris Smalling would be relatively cheap , but 7 million a year in wages . Looks like he is happy in Rome though. We really need experience until Benko is up to scratch.

The lack of folk who play football/or played centre back is notable when it comes to the criticism of the Cahill header chance.  

It's hard when an attacker has a running jump on you and you are static holding a defensive line. When a flat ball is played like that, you simply have to challenge because it's extremely unlikely you are winning the header. Equally it's a collective responsibility of any defender in that line to challenge. 

I am not saying Bennett is a world beater - but it's not that easy to deny Cahill the header. 

On 05/07/2020 at 01:21, Nicolo Barella said:

Have you ever seen Bennett play in a back 2? It's not pretty. He's useful as a 3 at the back CB option, but I really do think we need someone on top of him, ideally someone better as well, like Koch.

Koch on top in a traditional formation? :ph34r:

Everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions far too quickly here, the bloke has only played 45 minutes of football for us after 6 months of no gametime and we are analysing every single second (e.g. Cahill header) as if it proves how good he is as a player. 

Quite frankly, we will need to see more but all in all I was very pleasantly surprised with how Bennett performed. Seemed solid, cleared everything, put in some tackles and didn't really put a foot wrong. 

Looking forward to seeing more. 

• Like 3

The one thing you can say about the guy is that he commits a lot of fouls!

I thought it was notable that Kasper would never pass it to him when building from the back, Rodgers clearly knows he's a liability with the ball at his feet, which is what the Wolves fans told us about him.

I don't think he was awful, but he's what you'd expect for a deadline day loan signing that is there to cover for injuries. Personally I would have started Fuchs or Morgan ahead of him, but Fuchs is saved as the attacking left wing back sub for later in the game, and Wes I guess is not really match fit.

He’s not amazing but as a long term 4th choice £5m is decent business. Would be concerned if he’s third choice over the coming seasons because he’s about as comfortable Huth on the ball 

Looks a bit of a carthorse to me.

In a team who wants to build from the back and take risks to try and beat the initial press, he also doesnt appear to be particularly comfortable in possession to suit that style. Perhaps suited Wolves who like that long diagonal. 

Not sure i'd be too keen even at 5m.

Edited by martyn