Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ryan Bennett Joins On Loan

22 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

5 mil for Bennett or 20 mil for Vestergaard :dry:

When you put it like that, sign him up!

It's funny, he looked like an inferior version of Soyuncu to me today. As in he tried to actively seek out and deal with the danger early (a good thing), but kept fouling his man! I think he can be forgiven seeing as he hasn't played in a long time. I actually think despite the fouls he would be a decent pick-up for the price mentioned. He'd probably get 10-15 starts a season if we are in Europe as well as acting as cover and looks like he'd do a decent job. Reminds me of Danny Simpson in some ways... not a superstar but largely dependable, and there are definitely places for players like that in the squad.

• Like 1

Good squads need backup players, this chap is clearly 'worth' 5M as a backup player in the current market.

now as long as he's happy with backup (but playing from time to time) status, I don't see the issue here.

We're not Man U or Man City, we can't have a 25 man squad on first XI wages

• Like 1

For me, Evans, Cags, Bennett and Wes is good enough that we shouldn't be looking at CBs at all this year. 

We need a long term striking option, probably a left AND right winger and a left back option even if Chilwell stays. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Guest Fktf
4 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I know we improved as a team when he came on but did he really do anything. I thought it was more a case of the formation suited us better . And didn’t anyone notice him completely  miss-control   the ball and it go out for a throw in

Wait - are we allowed to use this to say players are rubbish? I'm off to the Chilwell thread.. 

We kept the clean sheet and that’s what matters. Some are being a little harsh on him— we had plenty of players who didn’t look so hot over the past few weeks and but at least they had been playing before lockdown. Bennett didn’t do so badly, considering he hadn’t played any real minutes for over six months. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

For me, Evans, Cags, Bennett and Wes is good enough that we shouldn't be looking at CBs at all this year. 

We need a long term striking option, probably a left AND right winger and a left back option even if Chilwell stays. 

Have you ever seen Bennett play in a back 2? It's not pretty. He's useful as a 3 at the back CB option, but I really do think we need someone on top of him, ideally someone better as well, like Koch.

He looked assured when he came on.

I look forward to all his typecasts  "no nonsense" "does the dirty work" "keeps it simple" "fuss free" "old fashioned" "prepared to blast it into Row Z" "eats 3 Shredded Wheat" that type of thing. 

• Haha 2

Anyone who think we are going to spend big without selling Chilwell is mistaken!

We could do without spending 30m on a CB to sit on the bench, when we need a wide player and a forward.

Would be happy with this guy, Evans, Soy, Morga and Knight.

We aren't going to play many more games even with the CL if we get in as next year no league cup for CL teams. 

We're not going to get a better player than him for the price he would cost us. Given that funds could be tight given the current situation it makes perfect sense to bring him in as capable squad depth and focus our spending elsewhere where its more needed (i.e., out wide).

Not every transfer has to be a flashy, expensive player straight into the first XI, or a risky younger prospect who might flop. Bennett seems to fit in well with the existing squad, provides some experience as backup (and more mobile than Wes) and gives us the option of changing formation like we did yesterday. £5m seems a no-brainer, even if we do end up bringing in another more high-end CB signing like Demiral as well.

2 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Other than experience, I would say he's no better than Benkovich, Josh Knight or Darnell Johnson. So put the 5m towards somebody much better

Have you ever watched Darnell Johnson play? lol 

• Haha 1

Had a stop start time here and that is just the joining up with the squad. BR clearly has watched him train and he could easily have put Fuchs on yesterday if needs be at LB or in a back 3 so BR must have been happy. Did not really notice him on the pitch but also heard very little of Wilf Zaha who has been known to tear us a new one on the odd accession. So much goes on behind the scenes not just watch happens on match day, he could be a really good squad member so why not watched an £80 million centre half get proper mugged off by Junior Stanislas.