Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Coronavirus: Closed Door Matches

Stupid question time, but say it was all to be put on hold for a certain amount of time, what would need to happen for the games to get underway again? 

Have the virus under control? Totally wiped out? 

Just now, EastAnglianFox said:

Stupid question time, but say it was all to be put on hold for a certain amount of time, what would need to happen for the games to get underway again? 

This is the million quid question. If you lock everything down now, no one knows when it gets unlocked. 

5 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

At a guess i would say when there has been a decline in cases and then a couple of weeks after that. 

8 weeks from today would be about my guess. They will do 4 week ban today and then extend it 4 weeks. 

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

At a guess i would say when there has been a decline in cases and then a couple of weeks after that. 

8 weeks from today would be about my guess. They will do 4 week ban today and then extend it 4 weeks. 

You need to put it into context. 

We are 4-6 weeks behind Italy's rate of spread. For me, the season is whitewashed. The question left is what will the efl do.

23 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Not title for Liverpool as it's not been won. European qualification awarded to those currently in position. No team relegated, top two in the championship promoted. 22 team premier league next season with 5 teams relegated. This would be my preference.

Out of all the possible suggestions this is probably the fairest

with so many players self-isolating, surely there is no way games can continue. Sensible decision would be to postpone football for a month, and then see where we are at. If situation has improved then continue the season into the summer, with the euros being cancelled. If situation has remained the same or got worse then a decision would have to be made.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

That's far from a stupid question.

It won't be totally wiped out, that's a given.  Maybe you could "unlock" when you have a vaccine, but you're probably looking at 12-18 months in the most likely scenario.  If indeed the virus slows down in the summer (which we have absolutely no way of knowing) do you risk letting people go back to their lives - including sports - knowing we're likely to see it roar back with a vengeance in November or December?

There are no good answers to those questions, unfortunately.  That's why the squandered opportunity to contain is such a disaster, because all we can do now is manage.  "Flatten the curve", wait for herd immunity to become a factor, try and prevent too many people from getting sick at the same time.  But to me, it's hard to imagine getting back to anything we'd reflexively consider "normal" - 30K fans for football matches, festivals, concerts, unrestricted international travel - for at least two years.  And it's entirely possible that COVID-19 will become a perennial if manageable threat just like the flu, only more so - and who can ever so things will be like they were if that happens?

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

That's far from a stupid question.

It won't be totally wiped out, that's a given.  Maybe you could "unlock" when you have a vaccine, but you're probably looking at 12-18 months in the most likely scenario.  If indeed the virus slows down in the summer (which we have absolutely no way of knowing) do you risk letting people go back to their lives - including sports - knowing we're likely to see it roar back with a vengeance in November or December?

There are no good answers to those questions, unfortunately.  That's why the squandered opportunity to contain is such a disaster, because all we can do now is manage.  "Flatten the curve", wait for herd immunity to become a factor, try and prevent too many people from getting sick at the same time.  But to me, it's hard to imagine getting back to anything we'd reflexively consider "normal" - 30K fans for football matches, festivals, concerts, unrestricted international travel - for at least two years.  And it's entirely possible that COVID-19 will become a perennial if manageable threat just like the flu, only more so - and who can ever so things will be like they were if that happens?

I was telling the neer sayers in general chat weeks ago how bad this would get but you’ve gone quite a  way overboard on that assessment. 

27 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Not title for Liverpool as it's not been won. European qualification awarded to those currently in position. No team relegated, top two in the championship promoted. 22 team premier league next season with 5 teams relegated. This would be my preference.

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Out of all the possible suggestions this is probably the fairest

Hard not to see some blue bias!

This suggestion takes the the most likely of all the various outcomes should the season actually continue (i.e. a Liverpool Premiership title win - most likely by a huge margin) and makes it the only postitive one that isn't 'honoured'.

If Liverpool haven't won the title when they're 25 points clear of second, we haven't 'won' a European place . Neither have two championship teams 'won' promotion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

CHINA: Quarantines 58 million people.

SOUTH KOREA: Tests 200,000 people for Covid-19.

SINGAPORE: Orders army to deliver masks to all citizens.

ITALY/FRANCE/GERMANY: Bans all public gatherings.

UK: Wash your hands and sing happy birthday

What you are failing to factor in is the amount of cases in the UK relative to those other countries.  UK has a fraction of them.  More draconian measures are sure to follow but the government is following advice from the country's top medical staff in order to flatten the curve and give the NHS is best possible chance of coping.  

Who to trust?  The best medical officers or some smart arse from Grebland?  Hmmm....

It’s okay continuing this in the summer, it’s everything ha calmed down. 

One question though ..... peoples contracts will expire. Do those need to negotiate an extensions? 

2 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Hard not to see some blue bias!

This suggestion takes the the most likely of all the various outcomes should the season actually continue (i.e. a Liverpool Premiership title win - most likely by a huge margin) and makes it the only postitive one that isn't 'honoured'.

If Liverpool haven't won the title when they're 25 points clear of second, we haven't 'won' a European place . Neither have two championship teams 'won' promotion.  

At the start of next season Uefa will want to know who is taking Englands European places so they need to be decided. However the title can be left un won. It would be different had Liverpool already mathematically won the league, which they haven't. 

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

It’s okay continuing this in the summer, it’s everything ha calmed down. 

One question though ..... peoples contracts will expire. Do those need to negotiate an extensions? 

It will cause of sorts of questions as say us with Maddison he would have missed the Watford game with injury and in theory that makes us weaker to face Watford. When (or if) we play them he will probably be fit. Wouldnt you argue that's not fair on Watford? 

Think about Spurs they could potentially end the season with Kane & Son fully fit. 

Edited by goose2010

The Football authorities are utterly clueless aren't they. Yesterday it was business as usual. They should have followed other countries examples and shut the season down earlier this week. Shocking that it's taken multiple cases emerging in the last 24 hours to come to the correct decision.