Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Ricardo Pereira ACL

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..much the same as I said in the U23s!!!

There were times in the U23s where he tried to use his speed to close down or extricate from an unfavourable position but it seems no matter how much he tried he could not get the acceleration that he wanted. For him that is a basic part of his game that he uses to his advantage and if he cannot generate the pace he once had then it is going to be a mental block to everything that he does.

Early days though, but you do notice his reluctance to commit to a tackle and not go to the floor.

My worry is that the injury psychologically prevents him from being the same player he was. I hope it's just because it was his first game and eventually he gets back to committing to tackles more, and he doesn't lose a yard of pace as a result. 

17 minutes ago, shailen said:

My worry is that the injury psychologically prevents him from being the same player he was. I hope it's just because it was his first game and eventually he gets back to committing to tackles more, and he doesn't lose a yard of pace as a result. 

25 years ago, when surgery was much more rudimentary, I recall amongst others Steve Walsh and Alan Shearer both returning to old powers post ACL reconstruction. 

He'll be fine long term, though this season maybe not.

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

25 years ago, when surgery was much more rudimentary, I recall amongst others Steve Walsh and Alan Shearer both returning to old powers post ACL reconstruction. 

Michael Owens career was pretty much ruined by the ACL injury he sustained at the world Cup but fair point, some players recover and some don't. 

I think the impact if any will be in the margins but its the small margins that make the difference as well as mentally recovering from such a set back. 

3 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

Quote from Brendan on club site article:

"We’re awaiting on a scan for that, but it’s nothing too serious because he played on for the remainder of the half.”

ya - if there’s one thing we all know it’s that Riccy P continuing to play on rules out serious injury ::biggest eye roll emoji ever::

...all these long term lay offs all seemed so inocuos at the time!!!

1 hour ago, shailen said:

Exactly this. A relatively risk free competitive game to bring him back into the fold without any serious pressure for a result.

He'll be fine. We'll be fine

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Shearer remodelled his game though, didn't he? His pace went and he became more of a target man who thrived on crosses.

I blew out my acl & meniscus years ago. The post survey PT was absolute murder at times and yes once the knee is good there is the metal fear of re-injuring it which prevents you from committing to tackles or bursting at speed or even jumping up in the air for a header and landing. It sounds silly but trust me I kinda understand what's going on in Ricky's head. Good news is the psychological barrier can be overcome. Ricky will come good but its all down to him as to how much he wants to return to his best. I recall Van Persie came back from an acl reconstruction and was still a phenomenal player. Good luck Ricky :thumbup: 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 20:36, shailen said:

Michael Owens career was pretty much ruined by the ACL injury he sustained at the world Cup but fair point, some players recover and some don't. 

I think the impact if any will be in the margins but its the small margins that make the difference as well as mentally recovering from such a set back. 

Owen always had hamstring problems remember him saying he was petrified to run into space as he knew it would go

On 04/12/2020 at 20:36, shailen said:

Comparing Own injury to Riccardo is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Owen collapse in agony, roll of the pitch and had too be carry off.

Riccardo got back up and played on 15-20 mins, only when it was scan did the player or club realise it was an ACL

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Riccardo got back up and played on 15-20 mins, only when it was scan did the player or club realise it was an ACL

..how on earth an injury that would require an operation and more than 6 months rehab not be picked up on the pitch when initially assessed!!!

Someone is not up to their job and is jeopardising our season.

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

..how on earth an injury that would require an operation and more than 6 months rehab not be picked up on the pitch when initially assessed!!!

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Because it needs computerised imaging to confirm. I did mine after being assaulted on the ward and they missed it on the scans. Granted I’m no professional player but a physio would not pick it up without the aid of imaging. At least in my experience. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

In their defence the initial pain Ricardo felt didn’t indicate ACL damage. 

1 minute ago, casablancas said:

Because it needs computerised imaging to confirm. I did mine after being assaulted on the ward and they missed it on the scans. Granted I’m no professional player but a physio would not pick it up without the aid of imaging. At least in my experience. 

..the mere fact he is a professional  football player and he is allowed to continue in a game where running around a pitch is a pre requisite seems a big injury to overlook!!!

1 minute ago, casablancas said:

..the mere fact he is a professional  football player and he is allowed to continue in a game where running around a pitch is a pre requisite seems a big injury to overlook!!!

5 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

In their defence the initial pain Ricardo felt didn’t indicate ACL damage. 

Yeah as it’s a ligament that was damaged, it doesn’t have nerves so you can injure it without feeling any pain and  it’s still possible to run on the leg. Obviously you can injury it in gruesome ways too, as we have seen many times...

There is a basic test that is usually done on the pitch which involves trying to hyper extend the knee. If there’s no resistance it’s possibly torn and the player is sent for a scan to confirm. 

• Like 1