Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm not sure about this. It seems like a lot of people are convinced this will be the case, but we currently have only 2 CBs who are 1st team standard, and are clearly looking for at least one more.

I think a squad needing to rotate often, as we do, playing mostly a 4-man defence should have at least 3 decent CBs, and playing 3 at the back should have at least 5.

Generally I agree with this but you can probably get away with four good CBs in a three at the back - Wolves did it with Coady, Saiss, Boly and Dendoncker (who also played in midfield), with Bennett/Vallejo/Kilman all around the fringes at various points. I'd be comfortable with a back three of Soyuncu, Evans and Fofana, and then in a 3atb shape Justin and Fuchs are better suited to CB rather than WB, so we have bodies at least. Throw in Wes who can play the central position and Benkovic and I think we would probably do alright.

I remember Matt Elliott on RL a few years ago saying that it's actually quite a challenge for a CB used to a four to adjust to a three, particularly the 'wide' CBs because you don't know whether to occupy a full-back's space or a CB's space in certain situations - hence why I think players like Justin and Fuchs might be better suited, in the same way you'll see Tierney or Azpilicueta among others play that position in recent times.

Personally I don't think the plan is 3atb anyway. With Castagne and Justin, they've got two long-term targets, the first of which Congerton first liked as a RB at Genk, the second he liked as a LB at Luton. I think Justin is the Chilwell replacement, but time will tell.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

It took me far too long to make sense of it, but it's saying once you eat your cake, you no longer have it. Your question is the point of the saying - you can't own a cake and have eaten that cake at the same time. Wanting that is asking for something impossible.

I agree re: 'cheap at half the price.' I'd also add, 'cheer up. Might never happen.' What if it just did happen, you knobhead?

28 minutes ago, murphy said:

Then it should be 'you can't have a cake after you've eaten it'.  

I see it as someone's got a cake, but being able to eat?  No that's too much to ask you greedy so and so.  Just look at it and be grateful you have any baked goods at all.

I dunno.

28 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

I think the saying means that I want to keep my cake so I can look at how pretty it is forever but also I want to eat the cake because it tastes nice and obviously I can't do both of those things at the same time but I could just order another cake so it renders the whole thing pointless.

I don't really like eating cake at all to be honest but I do like crisps, I can eat about 7 bags sometimes and before I know it my tongue it more cut up than a dithering driver in Milton Keynes. Anyway, I am fickle, my opinions change almost daily and you could probably convince me of anything if you sounded clever enough. I wasn't really expecting a conversation but I have to say this has been lovely, if you want to know anything else interesting about me then please write back, I met a magician on here a few weeks ago that tried to guess my Mothers maiden name through PMs just by asking me a series of questions about my childhood - I had to just give it him in the end cause he was struggling a bit the silly old sod, anyway, Love to the Family

Jack 

I love FoxesTalk, sometimes

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it really does not matter how much a player wants to leave... if the value is not met he stays!!!

You are contracted to the club, you agreed the contract, stick to it.

It's cute. But it isn't how it works.

You can force the player to stay because he's contracted, but you cannot make him try hard for the team, stop him from feigning injury, when he doesn't want to be there.

7 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Congers stop fuching about and get this done or else your statue will be buried at sea.  

Not sure why Congerton keeps getting mentioned in relation to getting deals over the line. He is our Head of Recruitment. It's up to Jon Rudkin to get it over the line.

• Like 3

This transfer really is on a (non-literal) knife edge, you'd like to think that if we don't have any feel for whether they are going to accept today we'd look at alternatives.

https://www.butfootballclub.fr/asse/mercato/asse-mercato-la-bombe-fofana-peut-elle-faire-exploser-l-asse--436115

Yesterday at a press conference, Claude Puel had cut short the information, that of Butfootballclub in particular, reporting internal differences about Wesley Fofana, and on the young defender's desire to join Leicester. “For me there is no debate. I took stock with him several times and he's a young player who has played 17 professional games. I think he is still learning and has yet to mature. He is in the right club to quietly continue his progress. He is well in Saint-Étienne and he will stay in Saint-Étienne,” explained the Manager of the Greens.

Fofana, last April: "With the coach, it's a relationship of trust"

After his extension, last April, Wesley Fofana had maintained that he wanted to register for the duration at ASSE. “I feel a lot of joy and pride to continue in my training club, he said. My signing brought joy to my whole family. They are behind me and push me. ASSE is my favorite club. I still see myself in the future. I have the ambition to play at the highest level but I do not want to cut corners. For now, I'm in one of the biggest French clubs with a good coach who wants to take me to the top. "And for him to evoke his relationship with Claude Puel ..." With the coach, it's a relationship of trust. Claude Puel brings me a lot of rigor. We don't hug each other all the time, but there is a good understanding.

Will Puel give in?
To see Fofana (19) clearly explain his desire to join Leicester, in an interview with L'Equipe, a few hours later, is a terrible blow to Puel. No, the player is not so good at Saint-Etienne, where he mentions insults towards his family as well as financial considerations and his dream of playing in England to justify his decision. Before the reception of Strasbourg on Saturday evening, this media release obviously puts Puel in the panade and it seems difficult to imagine that Fofana is aligned while looming a series of three matches in one week for the Greens (Strasbourg, Marseille, Nantes). However, with the departures of William Saliba and Loïc Perrin this summer, solutions are not legion in central defense,

At the beginning of the summer, the leaders wanted to show solidarity with Puel ...
But what is expected now is the club's response to Fofana and his agents, the response of the leaders and that of Puel. Will they tune their violins? Will they walk in the same direction? In recent days, according to our information, the management of ASSE wanted to accept Leicester's offer, close to € 30 million, but Puel opposed it. Fiercely. Asked at the beginning of the summer on the possible departures of Wesley Fofana and / or Denis Bouanga, Bernard Caiazzo had said that the management would follow Puel. “Sell Bouanga or Fofana, no, because Claude Puel, who is the boss of the athlete, is very firm on the subject. We are too. I trust the coach,” said the chairman of the supervisory board in Le Progrès. “The regret that we have, particularly with Claude Puel, it is to have sold last summer William Saliba, a young person with strong potential. So there is no longer any question of selling our best young people,” Roland Romeyer had supported in L'Equipe.

No doubt Caiazzo and Romeyer did not suspect at that time that such an important offer would fall for Fofana. An offer likely to put ASSE back on track, economically, and allow it to recruit during the last three weeks of the market. But transferring Fofana would be a hell of a snake to swallow for Puel as the player symbolizes his project, focused on youth. We can even wonder if the Castres would not call into question his commitment to the club if he was disowned by his leaders ... after having been disowned by his player.

So the only question is, does the chairman stick with Puel who has a clear vision of developing their young talent, or do they accept this large offer on the table and use it to purchase new players and offer the club some economic stability for the future?

Let's just hope we get some clarity on this pretty sharpish.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Not sure why Congerton keeps getting mentioned in relation to getting deals over the line. He is our Head of Recruitment. It's up to Jon Rudkin to get it over the line.

I think they've somehow weirdly morphed into one being, mostly the subject of scorn and hatred, occasionally praised as the new Messiah!

12 minutes ago, Fktf said:

It's cute. But it isn't how it works.

You can force the player to stay because he's contracted, but you cannot make him try hard for the team, stop him from feigning injury, when he doesn't want to be there.

...my point was from the point of view of the player!!!

You are spot on, as regards the potential outcome by the player in this scenario.

53 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

It's like the saying "back of the net"...

Surely the back of the net is the one facing behind the goal? You certainly wouldn't celebrate a striker hitting that regularly!

To be fair, I’d see it as a sign of improvement if Barnes could hit any part of the net. 

• Haha 1

Puel is clearly making a very big issue over this and you suspect the relationship with the ex-employers is not the greatest

I think we have got sucked into this clearly we have an agreement with the player but are we seriously going to spend 30 odd million Euros on a player with barely a season at top level?  This is a lot more than other European clubs were offering

I am beginning to think at this price we should go for Tarkowski or another proven player such as the German international.

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I have watched several episodes and it just falls short of being good!!!

You can see they have everything in place but it just does not work, perhaps the script just has a limited scope and needs an outside input to make it a classic.

There are 14 seasons, think it works!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, murphy said:

Does anybody know how much this new offer is?

I like the sound of this transfer but if we're paying over £30m it's starting to look a bit less appealing.

I hear he's exceedingly good but we're not made of dough.  

I’d rather spend £20-30m+ on Fofana and sell him at profit in a few years than £35-50m on Tarkowski will little resale value 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, talking_goldfish said:

This transfer really is on a (non-literal) knife edge, you'd like to think that if we don't have any feel for whether they are going to accept today we'd look at alternatives.

https://www.butfootballclub.fr/asse/mercato/asse-mercato-la-bombe-fofana-peut-elle-faire-exploser-l-asse--436115

So the only question is, does the chairman stick with Puel who has a clear vision of developing their young talent, or do they accept this large offer on the table and use it to purchase new players and offer the club some economic stability for the future?

Let's just hope we get some clarity on this pretty sharpish.

Tah for that.

2 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

Puel is clearly making a very big issue over this and you suspect the relationship with the ex-employers is not the greatest

I think we have got sucked into this clearly we have an agreement with the player but are we seriously going to spend 30 odd million Euros on a player with barely a season at top level?  This is a lot more than other European clubs were offering

I am beginning to think at this price we should go for Tarkowski or another proven player such as the German international.

They will fold like an accordion (:nigel:) eventually. £20+ million is a sizable amount for them. Puel is just being a child about it because we sacked him for being a shit stain, and now he doesn't like it that we are after his prized assets. 

Why are people arguing whether it’s right or wrong for a player to be forcing a move? It’s just the way of the world? If I’m 12 months time if our of our best players, like Maddison, wants out, fair enough. We’ll trouser £100m and we will reinvest it. End of. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Ha ha got to love Always Sunny

Frank Reynolds is a hero to all. 

30 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Please change your name to Ongo Gablogian.

I dunno man, I'm only on a temporary hiatus from Dr Mantis Toboggan. 

• Haha 1