Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The testing has only been in place for the last 8 days but the case numbers have remained steady for the last few weeks. I'm sorry but that notion is false. 

If testing figures had been at the 1.5 million to 2 million range for the last few weeks, there would definitely have been a fall in cases in that period. Of course, there comes a point where you reach saturation and the curve starts to slow but the testing has diluted this over the past week or so.

As I say, check the figures again in 2 weeks as that is where any impact of the schools will be seen. They should really show a percentage of positive tests along with daily numbers as that helps paint a bigger picture.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think the latter vaccinations have been around for years and confidence can be higher that there are little to no side effects (or long term effects). Let's not forget that 1 year ago, Covid vaccines were a mere thought in scientists heads. There is a difference between people who don't believe in being vaccinated and those who are just a little unsure if they feel safe having a vaccine that has not gone through rigorous testing. We all know that waiting 5 years was not an option for some people though.

And what about those people who for medical reasons cannot be vaccinated? Do they suffer discrimination because of it? I would hope not. Also, what if someone already had Covid and has sufficient antibodies? Is it necessary to be vaccinated? Should they get some sort of top-up shot rather than the full vaccine? We simply have very little data and knowledge from scientists due to this being so new still. In 3-5 years time I am sure there will be much more knowledge of the disease, the vaccines, the risks etc.

So I can understand some people being careful about whether they have the vaccine or not. At the end of the day, if I have the vaccine, I am protecting myself first and foremost.

Just for clarity, when offered, I will take it. The above is not personal defence but trying to understand reasons why some people may think differently to the majority. I make my own decisions based on what I think is right. If others refuse the vaccine, that's up to them but of course they carry the risk to themselves.

Has there actually been solid proof that transmissions are positively affected by the vaccine yet? I know there was assumptions based on the data but I don't think it is very clear just yet (still early in data gathering).

I'm gonna be that pedantic guy, but the formula for the Oxford AZ vaccine was actually established in January last year. 

Europe's rejection of the AZ vaccine is nothing to do with blood clot issues. It's purely political, based partly on what they consider is preferential treatment towards the UK. By using this vaccine as a political football they are surely risking the lives of many European citizens and also putting the UK's supply of the Pfizer vaccine in jeopardy.

3 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-eu-astrazeneca-row-a-complete-timeline

And the French Europe minister on radio this morning claims that France may sue AstraZeneca for not supplying enough of the vaccine they don't want.

Seriously, I think that Astra Zeneca ought to go to the EU and offer to tear up the contract.  Let the EU use vaccines they are happy with, and let AstraZeneca sell their vaccines to people who will actually use them.

When I see the EU complaining that they haven’t received what they believe they ordered from AZ, I do sympathise somewhat with the frustration - even though it was largely their own fault for not understanding the production process.

When I see them blocking that vaccine because of some small, odd report that doesn’t correspond with the massive amounts of available data from the UK that I’m sure we’d be willing to share, I shake my head in disappointment and feel sorry for the people of those countries who are now missing out and having doubt put in their minds.

When someone threatens to sue a company who are trying to offer their innovative, life-saving product at cost price to the whole world for the good of humanity, that person can seriously go **** themselves.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dunge said:

There’s also another potential factor at play here:

A big part of the vaccination campaign across most if not all countries is take-up rate and vaccine confidence. In Britain, we’ve had a take-up rate better than expected. There are several reasons for this - we were known to be a populace that was comparatively positive toward vaccination, perhaps partly through being a country with a strong scientific past. Then, attitudes among the first to take the vaccine was positive - older people influenced for cultural reasons - perhaps Conservative voters might have trusted the Conservative government, a feeling of patriotism and scorn for the EU that we were “winning the race” - things that some wouldn’t find palatable but ultimately a means to a positive end. Essentially, Britain already has high confidence in the AZ vaccine, and the EU’s previous, incorrect negging of it doesn’t stand their current reticence in good stead this side of the Channel.

In the EU, meanwhile, the AZ vaccine has come in for a lot of criticism. Macron in particular has slagged it for political reasons. And now, those chickens are, perhaps, coming home to roost. As soon as a report comes out saying “it might be dangerous”, people in France and the like are more likely to jump because of already having a negative view of the vaccine. Take-up rates may drop further regardless, and a government that pushed on with it would be viewed with intense suspicion for first of all rejecting it and then continuing despite a mystery report while others around them halted. ie: They could actually damage trust in their own vaccination campaign by not stopping.

Fortunately, it seems that people aren’t so bothered and more pragmatic in this country. The feeling will be predominantly that AZ has at least deserved a second look at some further stats, and those stats come back positive.

Broadly agree with this. Frankly if the Eu governments don't want the AZ vaccine then they should just give all their stock away to developing countries and wait for a vaccine they actually want. Thousands of their citizens will die in the meantime.

11 million of these vaccines have been given in the UK and reported side effects are mild and blood clots hardly reported at all.  In fact more from the Pfizer vaccine.

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

From what I've seen, many anti-vaxxers are also anti-lockdown. Apart from the anti-vaxxers who are still convinced that the virus doesn't exist, their suggestion is just to get on with life and let the virus run riot.

An anti vaxxer, anti lockdown acquaintance of mine kept sending me his loony theories, I kept asking him to stop as I wasn't interested.

I mentioned I was happy to take the jab anywhere, anytime and if it meant people like him were unable to travel for not having the jab, that was their own choice.

His reply: "People like you were responsible for the rise of Hitler! He was very fond of vaccinating the Jews, closing businesses and restricting travel too!"

This was a step too far so blocked him on whatsapp.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, this is the second time you have libelled her; she was exonerated of that charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35769001

She may have been exonerated, but as the link below shows, she broke one of the golden rules of thesis writing, by not including references where information was pinched from other sources. Surely she must have known the rule on references.

https://vroniplag.wikia.org/de/wiki/Ugv

Edited by String fellow

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Got a good feeling today will be the final ever triple digit death tally. :fc:

Amazing drop from last week, if today isn't an anomoly then it's a massive indication than the vaccines are really working well

25 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Got a good feeling today will be the final ever triple digit death tally. :fc:

5ivulfil3fn61.png?width=960&auto=webp&s=1c64515739efb84d1eea9204c555bca5bca74fce

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusUK/comments/m6d3lu/tuesday_16_march_2021_update/

I don't know if those stats are from yesterday or today as its titled "Tuesday 16th of March"

Hopefully you're right and this will be the last of it...! 

Edited by Christoph

I’ve just had the Astra Zeneca jab and lost a good few bob at Cheltenham today ...  I think all vaccinations should be stopped NOW until this very disturbing side effect has been thoroughly investigated.  If it turns out there have been more than 3 cases per 50 million people I intend to sue ! 

• Haha 3