Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Tagliafico

5 hours ago, Saxondale said:

If you’d rather we signed 8 foot left back Dan Burn from Brighton, just say.

I think you’ve taken the extreme position !     Note that the successful sides are beginning to be the more athletic ones again after a period of tikka tacka where small didn’t matter .........  you need to have a combination but most of all you cannot have ‘non super athletes’ in certain positions and play particular styles 

4 hours ago, brucey said:

Didn’t we offer 20m or so for Evans, 6 months before getting him for next to nothing? He would still have been worth that fee.

not sure that the full back and centre back positions are comparable when to comes to age expectancy .....

Apparently Telles currently has the offer of a contract extension on the table from Porto, which is short of his wage demands of £75k / week. 

PSG / Chelsea also have £22m bids lodged, which have been accepted. 

Chelsea apparently want Telles as the first choice option, as he’s cheaper than Chilwell / less wages. They are still targeting a centre back also and have got to spread the money around. 

If Telles goes to PSG, I wonder if they’ll turn the attention to Tagliafico, considering the significant price drop? 

It should of course be relaised that we would be expected to have a deal or two in place for a left back on the basis that Chelsea could meet our demands for Ben at any time.  You don’t wait for that to happen before starting negotiations on a replacement .....

so the rumours re taglifico and Lewis may well be true but unless Chelsea pay up, that’s all they will stay as ......... October’s chip wrappers! 

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I am an advocate of spending sensibly and wanting resale value but you have got to take each transfer on its own merits and to me Tagliafico is basically the ideal player I think we can sign to have us good for the next 3/4 seasons before Thomas eventually takes over - hopefully the process happens by having more games anyway in Europe.

Also I think we do need a bit more nous about us. We're a ridiculously naive side even now - he's got experience playing in massive games and experience playing in a team that wins trophies.

We've got to do this if it's about £25mil. Feels like another Ricardo like buy. So many good points to the move. Just get this or Telles done. I am convinced he will be an upgrade on Chilwell.

There is no way on earth Thomas is still here in 3-4 seasons if he’s waiting for the new left-back to leave to create a space. 

There seems to be hell of a lot of confidence in Thomas and what he might become. 

I'd never heard his name mentioned (tho I remember Chilwell and Schlupp both bein mentioned way before a first team appearance) to suggest he was on a track to PL level football

He looked all the world for me an enthusiastic young lad from the youth team playing simply because we had no other option at left back. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Then you don't follow the club's development squad etc. Played for England at all age groups, captained at one, thought of so highly that the promising Ughelumba was let go (another good LB a year or two older than him) to allow him to progress more quickly.

He's on track to be an outstanding LB - but of course so was Joe Mattock once upon a time!

Well then let's all hope that Thomas doesn't go out boozing and punch two women in the face and derail his own career. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Leicester_brfox said:

Apparently he is very good but he’s 27 Id rather get someone younger with potential rather than someone in ther prime as if there younger we can sell them for a good amount of money

Like Luke Thomas? Not ready - we need an 'oven ready' LB to play for two seasons while Luke learns his craft...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That extra inch matters ........

4 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Where is this going now.........?

Apparently Harry Potter Said to Ginny Weasley “ it’s not the size of your wand that matters my love but the magic it can produce !!” :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

You're right. I believe we offered that fee (possibly more?!) to West Brom in January, then WBA were relegated and we signed him for a song.

We hilariously also insisted that we paid the £3.75m (peanuts) that they had to accept in two installments. Always rustlin' at the Hawthorns.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TrentFox said:

There is no way on earth Thomas is still here in 3-4 seasons if he’s waiting for the new left-back to leave to create a space. 

He's only just turned 19. Realistically even if he was class he'd still need a season or two to develop playing regular football and learning the physicality of the EPL. He might not even turn out to be good enough for a side aiming for the top 6/7 every season.

27 minutes ago, Manini said:

Where has all this obsession with resale value come from?

We all sat there and slated Rodgers, rightly so, for some of his comments about not being able to compete with the teams above us in the league. But does this not just show a similar mentality? What are we actually aiming for if the plan is just to buy loads of young lads and basically develop them for somebody else and then sell them? Great business model don’t get me wrong but I don’t think you progress as a club on the pitch if you keep doing that every single year.

Top teams have the best of both, they have players they can develop but they also buy proven, hit the ground running talent that can shift them up a level. Tagliafico signifies the latter for me, these are the types of signings we need to be making in my opinion if we want to build on our finish this year moving forward. It’s more a statement of intent than signing 6 young lads that could be good, could be shit. I understand he’s likely to be brought in via money we get for Chilwell but I think you’re compounding an error if you don’t replace Chilwell with somebody in their prime. We take a significant step back if we have another young player who needs time to develop on the left hand side of defence when Chilwell goes. 

Resale value is what drives our model, selling one asset a season to fund improving the squad collectively. I think its always a balance between signing potential and then trying to mix that with some established players. Rodgers likes to boast he can improve any type of player young or old and to be fair he has been great at previous clubs with older players so its definitely a balance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Resale value is what drives our model, selling one asset a season to fund improving the squad collectively. I think its always a balance between signing potential and then trying to mix that with some established players. Rodgers likes to boast he can improve any type of player young or old and to be fair he has been great at previous clubs with older players so its definitely a balance.

Get that completely - but I think it gets to a breaking point where the collective youthfulness of a squad whilst doing that is detrimental to what you’re trying to achieve, as I think we’ve maybe seen this season (and the fact our overall depth is quite poor). As you’ve said, it’s a balance, not every single signing has to fit in to the overall model for it to be a good buy for us, which is the point I’m trying to make. 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
8 minutes ago, Manini said:

Get that completely - but I think it gets to a breaking point where the collective youthfulness of a squad whilst doing that is detrimental to what you’re trying to achieve, as I think we’ve maybe seen this season (and the fact our overall depth is quite poor). As you’ve said, it’s a balance, not every single signing has to fit in to the overall model for it to be a good buy for us, which is the point I’m trying to make. 

Players have girlfriends and wives and they often have a big say in any move. Leicester (city and football club) are not perceived as sexy. We had our moments in 2016 but are in danger of slipping back into comfortable obscurity. In many ways the perception is wrong , Leicester is a fine , historic city but footballer's wives are young women and they probably buy the line that Leicester is a dull old place.

I said it before and I’ll say it again - Tagliafico and Ricardo could be the best full back pairing bar Liverpool In the league. Saying that I’d love Angelino here if this doesn’t happen. 

I know it’s frowned upon but I’ve supported Ajax as my European team for a few years now, and watched them play quite a lot. (Leicester vs Ajax im Leicester all the way 😂) Tagliafico would be great, and in some areas an upgrade on Chilwell. I think the major issue is trying to keep the average age of the squad lower, as he’s not the long term solution to Chilwell, but with Thomas coming through I think this could work well. 

18 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Players have girlfriends and wives and they often have a big say in any move. Leicester (city and football club) are not perceived as sexy. We had our moments in 2016 but are in danger of slipping back into comfortable obscurity. In many ways the perception is wrong , Leicester is a fine , historic city but footballer's wives are young women and they probably buy the line that Leicester is a dull old place.

They don't have to live in Leicester. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Leicester_brfox said:

Yes but you could argue Chillwell wasn’t exactly ready and he stepped up to the task

I’ve just read this post in another transfer thread.

It’s like having FT dementia.

• Haha 1