Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Chelsea Post Match

31 minutes ago, Hammo said:

There are weaknesses in this team that we all know about, notably the Championship-level quality of all four wingers.

But the biggest weakness of all is the lack of passion/guts/bottle/balls, call it what you will.

And that’s what worries me most about the next few weeks. 

..need a leader in the middle of the park!!!

Tielemanns or Maddison are far too light weight for this role. I have always advocated for a Right Winger to be our next purchase as a matter of urgency but I now believe we need someone who can command the respect of our squad and lead by example.

Carvallho is a good example of someone who can take the game by the scruff big its neck with his physicality and assured passing. He dominates the midfield and brings the team together as he sets the tempo.

Our players have no-one to look too in times of crisis on the pitch, someone they believe in.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, easilee said:

What do you expect if no-one is playing through to him ?

Vardy has a specific job which requires team mates to involve him in a certain way...if they don't do it, what should he do ?

Run around the full pitch demanding they pass it to him and make a 70 yard run to finish with a goal ?

Actually in previous years he has come a lot deeper, therefore bringing defenders out and other attackers to overlap and get in front, you can't expect to just keep making "off the shoulder" runs and then not do anything different if it doesn't work. This is actually our biggest problem. We set our team up very 'Vardy centric' and when it doesn't work its horrendous. Who knows if Vardy has stopped wanting to do this or BR has told him not to, but something needs to change. 

3 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Actually in previous years he has come a lot deeper, therefore bringing defenders out and other attackers to overlap and get in front, you can't expect to just keep making "off the shoulder" runs and then not do anything different if it doesn't work. This is actually our biggest problem. We set our team up very 'Vardy centric' and when it doesn't work its horrendous. Who knows if Vardy has stopped wanting to do this or BR has told him not to, but something needs to change. 

I see ya.

Just doesn't make sense to me not utilizing our greatest goal threat the way he likes to, well....threaten the goal !

The ingredients of our early season success is still there.

Defensively still looking pretty solid. And we did create chances today.

I thought Barnes was wasteful today but he's still inexperienced so you can't be to hard on him. And in general the finishing was just a bit poor.

We need any kind of win to get us settled and moving forward again. No need for panics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ourla said:

The ingredients of our early season success is still there.

Defensively still looking pretty solid. And we did create chances today.

I thought Barnes was wasteful today but he's still inexperienced so you can't be to hard on him. And in general the finishing was just a bit poor.

We need any kind of win to get us settled and moving forward again. No need for panics.

We will miss out on ANY European football at this rate.

Plenty of need for panic.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Soyuncu misses headed chances every game, wouldn't class him as any form of threat.

As does Evans.

Difficult to criticise them as they're two of our top performers, but it is a shame that we don't have a threatening centre half to nick a goal for us from a set piece when we're struggling for inspiration.

Edited by Nod.E

2 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

As does Evans.

Difficult to criticise them as they're two of our top performers, but it is a shame that we don't have a threatening centre half to nick a goal for us from a set piece when we're struggling for inspiration.

Yeah I put that in one of the threads (think it was this one). Other teams have their CBs chipping in with 3 or 4 goals a season from set pieces to help take the burden off the strikers and wingers. We have Evans and Cags on one goal each. They've missed about 5 chances in the past 3 games. If just one of those chances goes in it's a completely different game (in any of the 3).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

What did Brendan say after the match?

Same as he usually does .....I remember this being something which annoyed the Liverpool fans in his latter part of his period there .....post match interviews ....blah, blah, blah ....always the same excuses and not admitting the problems which were obvious to everyone.  We aren’t there yet ....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

What did Brendan say after the match?

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers to BBC Sport: "I thought the performance was very good, much more like us in terms of tempo and speed and pressing.

"We know we can score goals, but in these first three games since the restart we haven't been as clinical at the top end. I was so pleased for the boys in terms of the performance.

"We just haven't been able to take those opportunities. We switch off for one second and they get the goal. I feel for the players because I think they deserved more than that.

On James Maddison's injury: "We'll look at that - he'll be a doubt (for Everton on Wednesday). If he's not fit for midweek he'll be fit for the weekend."

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I think we are top for being the most boring team to watch since the restart  

Will second this. Only felt that we looked dangerous for a handful of possessions today. Other than that, I was never confident of success.

In regards to comments about Vardy not getting service... I remember at least 3 times when he lost the ball when he never really should have. He’s hard to pick out because opposition know to sit deep on him and he’s not effective but there were numerous times today when he could have helped build a good attack but lost the ball easily. I’ve said this about him before but he usually then scores a few 😂 but I hope we sign a good striker, Vardy can’t keep starting games when it’s clear we need something different.

1 hour ago, easilee said:

What do you expect if no-one is playing through to him ?

Vardy has a specific job which requires team mates to involve him in a certain way...if they don't do it, what should he do ?

Run around the full pitch demanding they pass it to him and make a 70 yard run to finish with a goal ?

We can't base our game plan purely around Vardy though! It is one of the main reasons that i think we are so easy to defend against recently because we are so predicatable in our play. He could drop deeper to create space for others to run into but that will not happen when we set up with one striker and no one around him.

As you say yourself he can't do it all but nor should he be. Every run he made in behind today he was near enough matched stride for stride. It just wasn't his day today and for me personally i feel iheanacho would've been better suited as he has a tendency to drop a little deeper and bring others into play.

Never looked like scoring. All 3 games since we returned, we have been so slow on the ball, we make it easy for the opposition to lock us out.

Even 1-0 down with 2 mins to go today, we passed it back to bloody Jonny Evans! What's the point!!!??? Get it in the bloody box!   I shouted at the TV.

Also not impressed with our midfield today, at one point N'Didi lost the ball, Chelsea broke, 4 Vs 2, you watch our midfield including Wilf (Who lost the ball) strolling back, no commitment to win it back! We constantly gave the ball away in the middle of the park today and no body drove forward with the ball.

We made it far too easy for Chelsea. Terrible performance.

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

How can you imply Chelsea's substitutions were not reactive? They hooked off 2/3 of their midfield at half time because they were diabolical.

Their depth showed. They could bring on players like Barkley, Willian, Azpilicueta, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, and still have Jorginho and Giroud on the bench. Whereas we have Demarai Gray, Albrighton, Choudhury and Iheanacho to come of the bench.

We are nowhere near their level. The only sub he could have made that made sense to be would have been for Kelechi to come on, but let's not pretend that any subs made for us would leave a better team on the pitch than that which started the game.

...a Perez and Nacho front partnership would have given us something different!!!

Rodgers said he kept Vardy on because with him on the pitch there is always a chance.

He has not linked with the team for the restart and was not being served by the midfield or the supporting forwards.

Not so much who to bring on but who was taken off and when. Praet taken off was not a good decision and was as decisive as who he failed to bring on.

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Struck by the difference between Brendan and Frank Lampard in the post-match interviews I heard. 

Brendan spoke in platitudes basically,  refusing to acknowledge the problems, while Lampard was honest, engaged and insightful. 

Same with the subs - theirs were drastic, necessary and effective.  Ours were reactive ineffective and slightly odd. 

This season promised so much but looks like it's going to end in severe disappoiment. 

Rapidly losing faith in this bloke...

What you're seeing is a person who has worked in the media vs a person trained to deal with the media. 

Interviews have and will continue to be bs 

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...a Perez and Nacho front partnership would have given us something different!!!

Rodgers said he kept Vardy on because with him on the pitch there is always a chance.

He has not linked with the team for the restart and was not being served by the midfield or the supporting forwards.

Not so much who to bring on but who was taken off and when. Praet taken off was not a good decision and was as decisive as who he failed to bring on.

Yeah a Perez and Nacho were good against Villa.

Maybe we should have gone for a diamond and had Perez in behind Vardy and Iheanacho (or other way around with Kelechi in behind). It’s just so obvious that right now Vardy is far too isolated, something needs to change.

I agree about Praet. We lost a certain impetus with that change. Unless he was struggling for fitness, or being saved for the league, I don’t get it.

Reminds me so much of the Puel reign... Slow, ponderous, uninspiring...

players looking half hearted , no creativity and odd team selection.

No plan b. Just as you were... still do not throw a big man up top in the last few mins when chasing a game..

Yet the manager is oblivious to this and repeats his after match comments every game in that we play ‘very very well’.

Absolute tosh..

Undoing all their hard work in the first half of the season... Really disappointing to watch at present.

No urgency, no drive, no passion. Abject and error strewn passes throughout. Plenty of casualness and laziness. 

Truly woeful for 3 games now with little signs of improving. I'd take another draw against Everton Wednesday if offered it right now.

• Like 1