Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Chelsea Post Match

6 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

In some ways I'd rather we lost today than potentially lose to Man U. The thought of seeing Maguires smug, fat face if they beat us is enough to give me coronavirus. 

If that fat headed bellend scrapes into the champions league over us, I’ll be livid. 

20 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

If that fat headed bellend scrapes into the champions league over us, I’ll be livid. 

The thought of them beating us on the final day to get in at our expense would be unbearable. 

10 hours ago, ttfn said:

We played ok in the first half but Chelsea were all over the shop. Any half decent side would have been a couple of goals up at half time.

Second half we couldn’t respond to Chelsea starting to look like a competent top flight side.

People are still in wilful denial of the fact we’re one of the worst teams in the league and have been since Christmas. The only games we’ve won since the start of December are against sides in turmoil - either managerless, soon to be managerless or laughing stocks.

That Rodgers failed to address any of our numerous shortcomings in the 3 month break is incredible.

We don’t create chances which makes the football dull as ditchwater but most pertinently there is no absolutely no fight in this team. We’ve had out of form teams in the recent past but for the most part they’ve shown some fight. The second half today they rolled over as soon as Chelsea started to show an interest. And it’s the same every time we step foot on the field, if the opposition score first it’s game over. To Rodgers’ credit he brought on Choudhury who at least looks up for it, sadly he’s not got the quality right now to influence a game at this level.

We’re also clearly relatively unfit. Chelsea played on Thursday night and had far more In the tank than we did at the end. This has been a recurring theme since Christmas.

You can point at the table all you like but the reality is that a lot of the “bigger” sides have struggled and we were in a magnificent position to take advantage. If we finish outside the CL places this season is going to be a huge disappointment. 2 decent opportunities of winning a cup wasted. Out to a very poor side in one and with a whimper in the other.

Very fair analysis as usual.

Wasn’t really expecting anything out of this on recent showing so nice to see glimpses of better football now and again. If we’d have played like we started off this match against Watford and Brighton, I’m sue we would have taken at least 4 points off of them.

It is difficult to see where the goals are going to come from at the moment. Seem to remember feeling this way during that period before the great escape. Oh well, always next season.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Praet was our best payer first half very often the closest to vardy getting forward and landing a few biting tackles .he didn't look happy to get pulled rightly so.

Slight glimmer of hope we did look pretty sharp and made some chances firsy half.

Lampard has said the first half was the worst they have played all season. Add that to the fact we intended to go at them early, plus that tactically Chelsea were always going to give us a bit more space in the final third, and I don't buy that we played well in that first half. Conditions were perfect and Chelsea played right into our hands. It was served to us on a plate and yet we didn't even test their goalkeeper, apart from one routine save from Tielemans. That's not playing well.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It was just another garbage showing from us. The line-up was better and the first half we demonstrated a lot more energy than we had in recent displays.

That's about where I end the positivity.

In reality that first half was Chelsea being bad and Leicester failing to capitalise. How many saves did Caballero have to make?

You could tell at half time what would happen - Lampard reacted exactly how Rodgers should've done at half time after the first half insult that was served up against Brighton - he made significant changes and changed the game. We just pissed around with the same rubbish for 70 minutes and ran out of time to get a goal. We're so unbelievably passive it's unreal.

We try and play a style of play that requires special players. We have about three - one of them is injured and two of them are in pretty poor form themselves. It makes us a genuinely awful side to watch when we're off it.

Genuinely hit the point where I think us winning another game this season would be a surprise. We're one of the worst sides in the league at the minute. Indefensible performances have become the norm. This side started very brightly but it was never worthy of the hype earlier in the season. Remember people who said it was better than the title winning side?

The top four is as good as blown. I mean it shouldn't be - it's still in our hands, but we time and time again prove we haven't got a jot of fight about us. We go behind and just meekly surrender. Any sign of adversity and we absolutely shit ourselves.

So unbelievably unimpressed with us. We're not a good team and we haven't been for a long time.

Agree with your view, but I do not think we have 3 special players, we have a squad of good players not one is exceptional a game changer. The hope of a champions league spot is very distant and will probably disappear after the next three games

13 hours ago, ourla said:

The ingredients of our early season success is still there.

Defensively still looking pretty solid. And we did create chances today.

I thought Barnes was wasteful today but he's still inexperienced so you can't be to hard on him. And in general the finishing was just a bit poor.

We need any kind of win to get us settled and moving forward again. No need for panics.

I'm putting a positive hat on today otherwise i'll lose the will to live. I am in agreement with you.

Yesterday was a significant improvement on Tuesday and probably about the same as vs Watford where we also played fairly well in patches. I know even most struggling teams still create chances but if you break it all down we are still quite solid defensively and although we didn't track Barkley we dealt much better at nullifying them overall.

Whatever Rodgers needs to do to enable this team to press from the front for longer periods of the game he needs to do it. If he has to rotate certain players then so be it, but we neither press nor sit back and play counter attack and this plays in to almost every teams hands now. Look at the first 20 mins, Chelsea couldn't deal with us and this is what we saw a lot under Rodgers in his early part of his tenure with us. We have to return to this because the other style of football which we execute d well on our run to the top 2 in the first half of the season requires a huge amount of confidence and patience. Maintaining possession and constantly probing and wearing teams down can be immensely frustrating and right now I think the players aren't in the right frame of mind to do this. We are feeling the pressure and we need to break it somehow.

We also need to get Vardy and/or Iheanacho in space and create chances. The midfield diamond doesn't work and we've had mixed success with 3-4-1-2 but I think this is the formation to play vs Everton on Wednesday and possibly vs Palace. We need to look to go a bit more direct in our play and be aggressive at winning the 2nd balls and fighting for the ball higher up the pitch. We seem unable to create any significant chances by deploying wingers but Perez or Barnes behind Vardy and Iheanacho can press and harry and drift out wide and play a free role. Both would likely be on the bench with Maddison starting behind but it's then options to bring on and stretch the game. I expect a big shake up for Wednesday otherwise it'll be no surprise if it's more of the same struggles.

• Like 1

How can Rodgers think we played well. It makes me furious to hear him say that. Vardy is playing bang average, we've lost ricardo to injury. And frankly, we struggle to even create a chance, let alone score a goal. I bet everton can't wait to play us.

• Thanks 1

Our only hope is that we can press like we did yesterday and go ahead in enough matches between now and the end of the season to pick up enough points. Once it gets to HT and we aren't ahead I just can't ever see us winning. Our one game plan has been used and we don't have a lot else to fall back on.

I'm feeling a little more positive today. The first half was much better and the rustiness seemed to be flaking away. I feel more positive but still feel we need to be more clinical and get the lead in the first half as maybe fitness levels are suffering in the second half.  Full strong team starting every game from now on. I think Praet needs to start too.

We have been suffering with squad depth and the new sub rule. That was obvious against Chelsea. We had chance to score that first half and go in at half time in front. They need to be more clinical with passing and shooting. We go in half time in the lead we will have more confidence too and I can see a win.  

Edited by Hales

BTW, in addition to everything else that was grisly, Rodgers once again self-imposed a 3 subs rule and left two bullets in the chamber.  

It's not as if we were any good in the first half, really - that's just how awful Chelsea was, and we were never close to scoring.  Once Lampard put the senior side out there at halftime it was effectively over.  No energy, no creativity, no desire, no clue.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

BTW, in addition to everything else that was grisly, Rodgers once again self-imposed a 3 subs rule and left two bullets in the chamber.  

It's not as if we were any good in the first half, really - that's just how awful Chelsea was, and we were never close to scoring.  Once Lampard put the senior side out there at halftime it was effectively over.  No energy, no creativity, no desire, no clue.

but we don't have the bench to make attacking subs, there was only Nacho left as a forward player so do you take off Vardy or play him with Vardy, if the latter who do you take off 1 of the 2 players you have just subbed on? or do we put on Morgan & Fuchs just to use the quota?

Creativity wise if we lose 1 of Tielemens, Maddison or Praet in the matchday squad we have nothing on the bench to replace

• Like 1

Fresh legs is better than nothing when nothing is working.  What did we have to lose by taking a totally ineffective Vardy off anyway?

There have been studies on this with the leagues that have been back for a while (like the Bundesliga), and more subs is consistently more effective.  It's not close, either.