Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Why did he take off Iheanacho

I'm just not having that excuse that he wasn't playing that well. It makes no sense at all.

Often strikers are subbed for being anonymous, but Kelechi was one of the most prominent players on the pitch first half.

Sure he could maybe have played Vardy in when he took a shot at the edge of the box, but there again, the shot could have gone in or rebounded to Vardy.

And he lost possession in final third but tracked back well to try and recover it.

But his sheer presence and showing for the ball - and wanting it- unsettled their back four, created untold space for the likes of Tielemens, Perez, Justin - the likes of which we haven't seen for months. Iheanacho's industry was the catalyst for that space.

How Rodgers couldn't see that, and furthermore tried to defend his actions, is troubling and pretty unforgiveable.

• Like 2

To take Nacho off at half time is an odd decision, the normal approach would be to give the second half ten minutes or so and then see if things need changing, it was obvious that Bournemouth were going to come out stronger at the beginning and we could have conceded, but even if we had conceded in that first flurry, I would have backed us to go on to win based on our first half performance with the team we had out there.

I really like those front three playing together. You can knock each of them in different games but each offers us an option going forward and a different approach that I think makes us harder to play against than when we just have Vardy upfront. We can become to predictable So for me it doesn't matter if one of those three is having an off game, they are still having an effect on the opposition that will help us win.

Overall it was a nervous decision and one that didn't reflect the first half.

• Like 1

It wasn't necessarily the substitution itself but what it signified. We were preparing for a threat that might've arrived. The first half was played almost exclusively in their half, they'd had one touch in our box and one shot in the 45th minute. They were ragged, we were winning virtually every ball in the middle and breaking at pace. There was no need to sit back when a second goal finishes them off.

It was Micky Adams-esque in it's baffling nature.

• Like 4

In fairness to Brendan he anticipated they would be going all out against us in the 2nd half and bolstered the midfield. It wasnt a bad shout in all. Kelechi`s touch at times made me think that we had bought Ade Akinbuyi out of retirement as it was at times so bad that I was looking at the screen laughing. Unfortunately, just like United tonight, we went into cruise control and didnt run and fight in the 2nd half and the rest is history.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/07/2020 at 23:01, Webbo said:

As I've said to the many replies I've had, it's easy to be clever with hindsight.

Question for you - how many incidents can you remember where a side who is winning at half time makes a substitution to bring about a tactical change before the start of the second half? 

I reckon if you could think of some, you could count them on one hand. 

And what logical reason is there for keeping it the same initially? 

Well if you’re in front, chances are your opposition is going to do something a little different than they were doing to try and get back into the game - so managers generally take a look at that before making their own changes.

In hindsight - the only one that was found out trying to be clever was Rodgers himself.

• Like 2

With the benefit of hindsight, BR out thought himself, and should have waited to see how Bournemouth changed before committing us.

Even though Kelachi was a bit off, he helped create the goal, and the team were playing well. I hope BR learns the lesson quickly, sitting on one goal leads is perilous football in our position, as Man U found tonight.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
spellin

9 hours ago, Analysethis said:

In fairness to Brendan he anticipated they would be going all out against us in the 2nd half and bolstered the midfield. It wasnt a bad shout in all. Kelechi`s touch at times made me think that we had bought Ade Akinbuyi out of retirement as it was at times so bad that I was looking at the screen laughing. Unfortunately, just like United tonight, we went into cruise control and didnt run and fight in the 2nd half and the rest is history.

Kelechi’s touch were at times poor but was still good enough to create/contribute to our lone goal. 
Meanwhile, we didn’t go into cruise control but rather were hamstrung by Brendan’s disastrous system change.

Edited by NaijaFox

4 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Brendan is never wrong in Brendan's mind it would seem. I would have respected him much more if he said he made the wrong decision and would take it on the chin and learn from it. 

I don't think a manager would or ever should publicly. But he should apologise in private to Kelechi as there was no real logic to it other than BR playing safe.

I am starting to think he overcommits like he did at Liverpool. After the Gerrard slip, they were trying to still win the title on goal difference when they were massively behind and let a 3-0 lead slip against Palace in probably a more devastating way then we did against Bournemouth. This time I think he felt the game was over at 1-0 and tried to see it out which was dangerous. The constant changing of shape and personnel this half of the season has been bewildering. In my opinion, we have generally only played well in a 4-1-4-1 formation with the inverted wingers. Yet he persists with 3 at the back. 

20 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Brendan is never wrong in Brendan's mind it would seem. I would have respected him much more if he said he made the wrong decision and would take it on the chin and learn from it. 

The guy is a walking ego for some reason. He’s won trophies in Scotland, so what? I could win trophies in Scotland. He blames everyone but himself when we lose. Daniel Farke has acknowledged that Norwich’s relegation is on him, so how hard would it be for Bren to take the rap for a loss every now and again? He can’t do it, his ego won’t allow it. 

9 hours ago, Analysethis said:

This makes no sense as they weren't attacking first half with the players they had so why could they second half? 

Because of negative defensive tactics that back fired big time and its not the first time its happened. 

Nacho to be fair had the first touch of a dodgy uncle and the delivery of a blind UPS driver for the first 45 - we looked dangerous but he didn’t have a good half.

1-0 up put on another midfielder to go one up top - poor decision I’d rather had continued with two up top. We’ve played most of the season though with one -  it this time when we switched there was no press - just Vardy chasing around their back 3.

On 12/07/2020 at 22:38, Mickyblueeyes said:

A mental thing again. Nerves take over, a few poor passes and heads down - that was bournemouth first half. We dropped because we couldn’t take the pressure of seeing the game through. Now it’s worse on our side because they’re fighting for their lives we are trying to get into champions league - that cannot happen. I’m not trying to say Brendan is blameless but this side, the staff etc. Are weak individually and collectively. 

We are woefully weak in self-confidence and determination, but the manager can't be blameless. A large part of his matchday remit is to instil aggression and determination into the mindset of the players.

12 hours ago, blueharmie said:

This makes no sense as they weren't attacking first half with the players they had so why could they second half? 

Because of negative defensive tactics that back fired big time and its not the first time its happened. 

You would imagine that their manager would have laid into them saying its all or nothing 2nd half. Looking at the chances I think it was about 10 to their 1 in 1st half. They attacked, we tried to frustrate but made calamitous errors and the rest is history.

13 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Kelechi’s touch were at times poor but was still good enough to create/contribute to our lone goal. 
Meanwhile, we didn’t go into cruise control but rather were hamstrung by Brendan’s disastrous system change.

Problem is we play 352/532 and looked poor, he persists and it worked a treat in he 1st half but again he tried to anticipate things in 2nd half but his players let him down. Without Kaspers error,we would have been OK IMO